Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 2009 Versa with 213000 miles. It is just starting acting up when I want to start the car. It clicks but it does not start until I take out the key and press the brake pedal.
I just found it weird today that if I open the hood and leave it open, it starts fine
Any ideas ?

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
366 Posts
I just found it weird today that if I open the hood and leave it open, it starts fine
Any ideas ?
What has the weather been like?? A lot of rain?? Excessive humidity/moisture fouling something electrical?? You open the hood, whatever was wet... dried out?? How long did you leave the hood open??
Many many years ago, my dad had a Ford that wouldn't start when it was wet or rainy. Open the hood, let it dry out a few minutes and the car would start. I came up with the idea of taking a hair dryer and blasting hot air on the distributor cap area and the car started fairly quickly. Even though, we couldn't find anything wrong with the distributor cap... we replaced it and that fixed the problem. I know our Versa don't have distributor caps, but excess moisture in the air trapped under the hood could be causes a problem.
I might check all the wires and look for anything that looks chafed or worn. I'd also check the ground connections, battery connections, etc.
It is just starting acting up when I want to start the car. It clicks but it does not start until I take out the key and press the brake pedal.
Do you have a manual transmission or automatic Versa?? If automatic, check the brake lights and see if they fail intermittently. Other Versa owners have had problems with moisture in the brake lights causing havoc. Also try starting the car in neutral vs. park, any difference??
If manual transmission, are you pressing the clutch in when you also push on the brake??

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
I live in Florida and the weather is unpredictable. The problem is that the car starts when I open the hood not that I had the hood open. it is weird and now that you mentioned, I washed the motor about a month ago and just covered the alternator so it might be an electrical issue as you mentioned. It is a automatic. I checked the brake lights and they are fine. I tried starting the car in Park and it did not, so I put it on Neutral and it started. I changed the Safety Neutral Switch already and it is still doing it. I am going to change the starter and see what happens. Thank you for your help in trying to find the problem.

· Registered
748 Posts
I tried starting the car in Park and it did not, so I put it on Neutral and it started. I changed the Safety Neutral Switch already and it is still doing it. I am going to change the starter and see what happens.
If it starts in Neutral and not in Park, you do not need to change the starter to see what happens. It is going to be exactly the same, minus your cost of changing the starter.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes but the codes only comeback to the O2 Sensors and these were like that for a while. This issue just started recently. I just went and tested the grounds with the car on and car off and they were fine. I was showing another guy and I opened the hood and it started. I closed it and it didn't start and he was just laughing saying that it was weird.

· Registered
366 Posts
I tried starting the car in Park and it did not, so I put it on Neutral and it started.
As the other poster mentioned, if the starter works great when the transmission is in neutral, you don't need a starter.
There are two possibilities that I can think of... Either something is worn in the shift mechanism (in park) that is not allowing the "OK" signal to engage the starter or there is something in the wiring that is not allowing the "OK" signal for the starter.
I'd look at a wiring diagram and see if "Neutral" uses the same wires as "Park" to sent that "OK" signal to the starter. If they do, I might investigate how the shift mechanism works and how it sends the "OK" signal (to the starter). I imagine there is probably some plastic piece that pushes on a switch (inside the shifter) telling the computer that the car is definitely in "Park" and to go ahead and engage the starter.
I have very little experience with automatic transmissions or automatic transmission shifters, but the few I have worked on had quite a few small plastic pieces in them. I recently used "super glue" to repair my girlfriend's automatic shifter on her Dodge. A small rubber piece had become dislodged, so I glued it back in place and her Dodge continues to live on for another day.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking the same thing, however, the car starts well on Park now fine and I don't have to put it on the Neutral just that now, I have to open the hood or take the key out and re insert it. I will try to do a small video and post it here so you guys can see what I am talking about. Also noticed that on the second attempt that does not start, I press the brake and it starts so really I have not nailed it yet as to whether it is the hood or brake or ignition switch. Should I change the brake switch and discard that too?

· Registered
366 Posts
Before spending the money on a brake switch, I'd pull all of the tail light bulbs and check the sockets for corrosion. Other posters have found some moisture getting into the tail lights and fouling the sockets. For some reason this causes havoc in these cars and creates a whole host of problems.

· Registered
748 Posts
Also noticed that on the second attempt that does not start, I press the brake and it starts so really I have not nailed it yet as to whether it is the hood or brake or ignition switch. Should I change the brake switch and discard that too?
I think in your case pressing the brake has the same effect as opening the hood. You do not think about changing the hood, right?
It was something about having some humidity in a rear light assembly messing with the entire car operation for Versas with auto tranny. I have a stick shift Versa, so I did not pay much attention to it, but it was mentioned a few times in this site.

Edit: I posted it after Desert Rodent provided the excellent advice.

· Registered
366 Posts
Is any part of the wire harness dislodged, whereas the hood could be pinching it and grounding out a wire??
I'd also take a flashlight and slowly lower the hood looking to see what may or may not be happening... peer through the crack as you lower it, maybe hold it open an inch or two and see if the car starts??
Something has to be moving (that shouldn't be moving) as you close the hood.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I have a 2009 Versa with 213000 miles. It is just starting acting up when I want to start the car. It clicks but it does not start until I take out the key and press the brake pedal.
Any ideas ?
If my versa makes it to 213,000 miles then I will be very pleased

· Registered
748 Posts
In your video, after you turned the engine off and removed the key, then inserted the key back - stop, do not start the car. Turn the key into the Start position, but do not start the engine. Hold on for a few seconds with the key in the Start position, and only then start the car. Does it make a difference in starting the engine?

· Registered
1 Posts
I went and did exactly what you told me and as I was doing it, I realized that the red light with car and key was flashing and I am reading that it is a key program error but it does not say how to reprogram it

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is an update. Apparently the red light with the car and key
In your video, after you turned the engine off and removed the key, then inserted the key back - stop, do not start the car. Turn the key into the Start position, but do not start the engine. Hold on for a few seconds with the key in the Start position, and only then start the car. Does it make a difference in starting the engine?
Ok so I did it and by just waiting a few seconds without taking out the key, it did turn on fine. This shit is hunted man.. I just don't understand.. I thought it was the key and the anti-theft thing but apparently not since it is doing it with spare key.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts