Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My son has a 10 Versa that was getting a P0300 (random misfire). The engine is a 1.8L. The mileage is around 140K, and hasn't had the plugs replaced yet (way overdue). It is also loosing quite a bit of oil - doesn't leak anywhere, so apparently it's burning it up, but can't see much smoke out the back when just idling. With the P0300 code, and the loss of oil, I thought maybe a blown head gasket.

First, I removed the radiator cap and checked to see if there was any spurting or bubbling out the top with the engine running. There was nothing - the coolant stayed complete flat and still. Then I removed the engine cover, intake manifold, etc, removed all the plug coils, and removed the plugs. Then I did a compression test with all the plugs removed - the compression was 170, 65, 170, and 130. I had expected to see a zero or close to zero on two adjacent cylinders indicating a leak between the two cylinders, so now, I'm not sure if I still have a leaking head gasket at the back or front, or if I've got a bad ring or something wrong with a valve on cylinders 2 and possibly 4.

I was a mechanic in the military, but that was back in 67 when cars were easy to work on. I can easily work on our 68 GTO, but, it was a lot of work just to get to the plugs on this Versa engine, so I'm not sure if I want to go any further to remove the head and possibly replace a cracked piston ring. I've done both before, but not on an engine like this.

If anyone has gone this far on a Nissan 1.8 engine or has any suggestions, please let me know. Just want to make sure that I know what I'm getting myself into. I was able to download the 2010 Versa shop manual so have all the procedures available, but looks like there a lot of special tools required. Anyway, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would pull the plugs, and see if there is any oil fouling. I would also pour in about a tablespoon of engine oil into the cylinders with the low compression, and take another compression test. If the pressure goes up, it should indicate worn piston rings. When you mention the oil usage, just how much do you think its burning mileage wise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would pull the plugs, and see if there is any oil fouling. I would also pour in about a tablespoon of engine oil into the cylinders with the low compression, and take another compression test. If the pressure goes up, it should indicate worn piston rings. When you mention the oil usage, just how much do you think its burning mileage wise?
Yeah, you're right. I had forgot about doing the wet comp test, until after I returned the compression tester. Anyway, not sure how much oil they were using, but I think it it might have been as much as a quart a month when they were driving it every day to/from work. Don't think it was any more than that, and could have been only around 1/2 quart a month.

·
Registered
939 Posts
A compression reading of 65 is pretty much a dead cylinder, they are so anything lower than 100. I'd be re-verifying that number. No way does a blown cylinder have to blow into another.

Compression readings can give fits, ALWAYS run several on each cylinder and even more with a suspect one, the gauges are often crap and if rental even worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
VinnieVersa
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing