Nissan Versa Forums banner

2011 Nissan Versa SL Sedan HID Projection Lens

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Versa15 
#1 ·
I've been searching for either a DIY mod of the existing headlamp assembly to add Halo, HID Projection, LED Strips etc. or after-market headlamp assemblies for it that don't break the bank. Also, would be interested in used ones.

#3 ·
It's hard but not impossible to find aftermarket headlights for our cars. I've personally never found any that I really liked, so I bought a spare set of headlights, and cut them open carefully. Spent about 300 dollars on theretrofitsource.com for a retrofit kit, and until this day, it's been the best mod I've done to my car. I love the crisp white light output, with the nice cutoff lines. If you want nice headlights, take a shot and just go DIY. Good luck!

Feel free to browse my garage and see how my headlights turned out!

#4 ·
Thanks for sharing. I use to have a shop I visited for state inspections that over looked stuff that wasnt quite up to code like DOT or SAE certified lamps and such. You know a projector lamp with a halogen bulb isnt necessarily approved for being "upgraded" to an HID or use with an HID lamp. There are special designs for an HID projector lamp.

So far its my experience that my local Nissan dealer frawns on "upgrades" or "modifications" by their owners. My dome light never worked and I typically use the map lights in my other cars, however I do not have that option in the versa S. So, I bought a universal led light kit to put in it. No luck, it wouldnt work. I asked the dealer if it would be covered underwarranty, he said yes. Picked up the car and he said since I touched it I voided the warranty and he can only tell me the plug is getting power. Got in the car and the lamp was hanging by its cord. Got home and played with it and got it to work.

Story 2, 2 days ago took my sidekick to get inspected and an exhaust leak fixed at a midas dealer. The inspection took a bit as they didnt like the grill mounted fog lamps that were oem. Second I had replaced them with a set and they were upside down due to the mount location from their intended orientation. So, the inspection discovered they are oem from researching online and that the lamp has "sae" written on the lense. :surprise

I did all the typically ricer stuff to my honda and the dealer didnt care til I tinted the top 3 inches of my windshield. They said I exceeded the tint zone and had to cut, remove it to pass. :surprise

#5 ·
Lol. I've had my car's inspections done at the dealership pretty much since my car was new. They've told me that my lights aren't stock or whatever, but in the end they're like "but i'll pass it no big deal" or something along those lines. I also have aftermarket fog lights but obviously where the oem lights were supposed to be. Ive been given issues with those more than my headlights, because at first they were wired up to a seperate switch, and when the hi beams come on they are supposed to turn off on their own. Because of that issue I would typically just pull the whole fog light housing off just to get my car inspected, then plug them right back in once I passed my inspection. Now I have finally spliced into the actual wiring of the car and have them running so that once the hi beams are activated, they shut off. Next month is my first inspection that i'll have my fog lights go and get tested. We'll see what happens!
I also just did a strip of tint on top of my windshield too. I did cut it to be right above that stupid line that's apparently the limit..it's dumb.

#6 ·
Yeah, where I drive its soo foggy I use just my parking lights and fog lamps so I wire them up to work that way. To pass inspection they say I need to pull the fuse or put black electric tape over each to indicate they are out of service. No go at "The Nissan Dealer". I had to take a full 5 seconds and unbolt both units and unplug them to pass. >:D

Still, the issue with my dome lamp and replacing the bulb with an led made me question if I wanted to continue being a customer. Its nice to be able to leave it on or not shut your door tight for days without the battery running dead. I think all dome lamps and map lights should be led. Anyway, I voided the warranty on that so any issues I have to go get one from the junkyard. :surprise

I use to have a show car and went to car shows to win awards. Then one day I had removed part of the rear interior to install a partial wall for a large sub woofer install and got into an accident. The adjuster let me have going over the condition of the rear of the car being gutted. I even met the guy and told him the project, but he wasnt having it. He was ranking the car if it was sold right then and there. Never mind diminished value since the accident wasnt my fault. It even showed up on my driving record as a "non fault" accident. :frown

So, kind of knocked the steam out of me to go much beyond functional with car mods.

#7 ·
The projectors from Theretrofitsource.com are DOT. They have the sharp cut off line to not blind on coming drivers. Plus they mount inside your original stock composite headlight which will retain its SAE and DOT markings on the acrylic lense. It's no different than an Altima having a projector lamp for the low beam.

The Morimoto projectors have a solenoid actuated shield that is the cut off line for low beam. It drops the shield down for full beam pattern on high beam. So one lamp does both low and high.

Plus!!! The best projector of all, the Morimoto D2S 4.0. Has an H4 size threaded shaft to mount into the stock reflector. So it should mount with no or very little trimming.

The Morimoto D2S 4.0, has the best beam pattern. Shines farther out to the sides, taller pattern that covers more of the road, not just a thin line. High beam pattern that is INSANE!!

They offer a 35watt or 50watt ballast. The 35 would be DOT for US. The 50 is brighter than US legal and burns the HID bulbs out faster.

I had these in my last car. I'm about to move them to my 2015 Versa. I was very disappointed in the stock headlight low beam coverage. The light is so brown. Plus I'm spoiled with the hid on the old car.

Before

After, without clear lense baked back on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.