Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help. Have rubber smell coming from rear driver side. Had rear brakes and drums relpaced. Also driver side rear bearing.
Smell is still there. Issues are that its not all the time and sometimes heavy smell then a light smell. Anyone with any ideas please help.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you feel the smell, pull over into a save place, and carefully touch the rear brake drums on both sides, if one of them is very hot on touch. Your rear brakes may be locking up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply. Both rear drums and brakes were replaced. Tailpipe was checked according to mechanics.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Both rear drums and brakes were replaced.
Exactly my point. Again, pull over and touch rear drums when feel the smell. Your rear brakes may be dragging, including misaligned parking brake. Happen to me when I was too lazy to do the work myself and let it be done "professionally". Found it by the smell. The driver side drum was overheated. Had to re-align it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll check this out. Just noting that the smell was there before. I thought it was brake issues and with my mechanic (20 years with him) we decided to change brakes. Still having this rubber smell. I will check this again as I have seen this in other blog. Figured with new brake job it would be something else. We also replaced drive side wheel bearing. Still smelling.......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe a hose or vacuum line in contact with the exhaust manifold?
Possibly a rubber exhaust mount touching the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Oil coming from leaking valve cover to land on exhaust often smells like rubber at some point, look further up the pipes for oil up front. The smell then ends up at back of car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need help. Have rubber smell coming from rear driver side. Had rear brakes and drums relpaced. Also driver side rear bearing.
Smell is still there. Issues are that its not all the time and sometimes heavy smell then a light smell. Anyone with any ideas please help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts