Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

My 2011 Versa (320,000km) stalled today. It got towed to a shop and I'm just wondering what are possible causes. Here are the details :

Tank was empty, so I filled quarter tank of gas, 10 minutes later while coming to a stop, car rpm dipped, car shook/shuddered and then completely shut down. Car did start again, but immediately the rpm's fluctuated up and down, then shut down with a shudder.

Some other details (might not be related)
-I was told a few months ago that the spark plugs were worn
-When stopped, the rpm's go down a little and then come back up, this is accompanied by minor shaking (this also happens when coming to a stop)
-There is a strong smell of fuel when standing outside of the car after starting
-Engine burns some oil (my first thought after car shut down was it was low on oil so I put more on it, still did not start normally)
-I used a scanner after the car stalled but there were no codes

Thanks for helping me narrow it down

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is your fuel pump has failed. When switching the ignition to the start position, but not engaging the starter, can you hear the fuel pump humming? It's located under the PS rear seat.
I can't confirm right now, but I do remember hearing some noises yesterday when the ignition was turned to on position. I'll mention to the mechanic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spoke with the mechanic - he confirmed the presence of water in the fuel tank, in his words "there's more water in your tank than gas". He says that water can naturally accumulate in Canada due to the climate. I think it might be due to contaminated gas. Anyway, he will flush the fuel tank, then clean the gas lines. Hopefully the spark plugs are fine. Will update when I hear more news.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you found an answer. Here in Colorado, we don't have nearly the problem with water condensation you do up north, but I still keep the tank in our Versa topped off.
Thank you! What can I do to prevent water condensation in the gas tank? I usually wait until my fuel level is completely empty then fill up, which is once a week.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What can I do to prevent water condensation in the gas tank? I usually wait until my fuel level is completely empty then fill up, which is once a week.
First, do not wait until your fuel tank is empty. Additionally to extra condensation, you deprive your fuel pump from being cooled by fuel. That could shorten its life by overheating.

Also, try to escape, if possible, the crappy gas stations. Use the Top Tier gasoline.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE : the Versa is back home! Running perfectly fine. Mechanic informed me that the spark plug gaps are too much and recommended immediately replacement. So I will be doing that this weekend.

·
Registered
307 Posts
UPDATE : the Versa is back home! Running perfectly fine. Mechanic informed me that the spark plug gaps are too much and recommended immediately replacement. So I will be doing that this weekend.
Good to hear! I'd also suggest installing new NGK spark plugs as they work well with Nissans and come pre-gapped for easy installation. I chose the latest version NGK makes for the 1.8L Versa:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Did he really look at the plugs? So he actually drained the coolant, took off the intake manifold, got the plugs off, and then put it on back together? Or he just made a conclusion about spark plugs gap based on something else?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did he really look at the plugs? So he actually drained the coolant, took off the intake manifold, got the plugs off, and then put it on back together? Or he just made a conclusion about spark plugs gap based on something else?
I believe he took a look at the plugs, he told me they had some water damage and had the car for almost 3 days. Either way, for a car with 320,000+km I think it's about time to change them. I am deciding between the NGK plugs mentioned above or the Denso ones (which I believe are OEM)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I have decided to go with the NGK 97292 plugs mentioned above... now I am about to order from Rockauto, but they want me to order a "ignition coil boot" along with the plugs. Is this part reusable or recommended to replace along with the plugs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts