Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for adding me I have a 2011 nissan versa and it is clicking sounds like valves does anyone know how to ajust them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for adding me I have a 2011 nissan versa and it is clicking sounds like valves does anyone know how to ajust them.

This gives you the clearance, but since the shop manuals have been taken down from the internet I could not find any step by step instructions. I can tell you that you will have to have good mechanical skills and the proper tools in order to do the job, and without the shop manual you will be flying blind.

https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutorials/2007-2014-nissan-versa-and-versa-note-routine-maintenance-faq

·
Registered
939 Posts
The valves set by shims (the tappets being solid and not hydraulic) or complete tappets and you have to have them to do it. The norm is that they never wear enough to need them and intended to last the life of the car.

To adjust first valve cover comes off and all clearances are measured then proper shim or tappet is calculated and you order the ones you need from Nissan but they may no longer carry them............and they will be expensive considering that you may need several. Special tool needed to pull shims or the cams have to come out (if complete tappet) and a whopping chunk more of fun there.

If several are making noise it's indicative of never changing oil to have them wear too fast. Listen close, the injectors can easily sound just like tappets, the tappets will get markedly quieter as the engine warms up if those.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I went and looked. Valve clearance spec is .012"-.017", use 12 for intake and 17 for exhaust.

The clearance changing method here is to change tappet not shim, it requires cams coming out to do it and how they get more money for the work, shims only are able to come out without removing the cams. This engine does not do that though. I point out this is the MR 1.8 engine, the smaller HR likely does the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing