Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this article the other day. The Nissan Versa came in lass for Car & Driver's comparison article of the entry level cars.

This second-gen Versa deserves crispy-prawn status mostly because it is about as intellectually and athletically evolved as a stunned crustacean and could sure as hell do with a belt or six of Grand Marnier. Here’s an idea: Let’s drink the whole bottle.

It’s surpassingly rare for an essentially all-new car to arrive on the scene and be so uncompetitive. Nissan mandated a car with the lowest MSRP in America—$11,750. And it feels like it. Build a contender, first. Then figure out the price.

The Versa is the longest car in our group, also the only sedan. But we included it because a redesigned five-door hatch has not yet materialized. Beyond its sticker, the Versa’s only other virtue is a back seat large enough for three adults. In almost every other measure, however, this car fouls out, a lugubrious liturgy of  low expectations.

Here we go. It was the slowest to 30 mph, to 60 mph, to 100 mph, and through the quarter-mile. It offered the least skidpad grip. Its 15-cubic-foot trunk tied it with the Kia for least cargo space. It offered cabin surfaces “that would work better in a prison” and the least driver comfort. It displayed the worst ergonomics, the fewest features and amenities, and the worst transmission (a CVT that relentlessly catapults the engine to a screaming 4800 rpm with you screaming along with it). It laid bare the worst fit and finish, the nastiest engine NVH, and the spongiest brake feel. It was the most susceptible to crosswinds, “a nervous lamb with almost no sense of straight-ahead.”

We attempted to identify a single styling cue, inside or out, that said anything at all, that evinced the slightest spark of imagination or creativity. This is the same Nissan that gave us the funky, fun, affordable Juke?
Here's the link, they did (In order of first to last) The Fit, Chevy Sonic, Yaris, Accent, Rio5 and the Versa

Chevy Sonic vs. Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio5, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris - Comparison Tests

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
And it's outselling everyone of those cars. Go figure.

The versa is great for the person who doesn't want dramatic styling and wants alot of interior room.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
And it's outselling everyone of those cars. Go figure.

The versa is great for the person who doesn't want dramatic styling and wants alot of interior room.
Very true. Last night I saw a TV commercial about the Versa starting at $10,990. I was like damn, that's cheap. But as we all know, there's always a catch! Lol I still prefer the 1st Gen sedan but if the back of the 2nd Gen wasn't so funky-looking I'd go for it. :shrug:

·
Registered
330 Posts
C&D gets paid off. How else would the magazine be able to pay it's overpaid staff. I could never work as a politician, lawyer, stock broker, doctor, businessman, veterinarian, etc. for this reason. Athletes get paid alot but they do spend alot. I wont watch sports for this reason. Refs call games as they see they should. The Oakland Raiders were dirty because the only way they could win games is if they murdered the other players. BTW isn't print dead?

·
Registered
377 Posts
They didn't give the old Versa (1.8) a lot of credit for being the fastest in its class to all of those speeds and through the quarter mile. Everyone talks about how the Fit or whatever is more dynamic because Honda marketed it that way.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Too bad the Fit can't brake worth a turd, cuz it's a nice handler. Also too bad I don't fit in it cuz it's supposed to be versatile lol.
Thanks for the C/D article, I enjoyed it a lot, as well as the Long Term Mazda 2 report.
When I saw the new Yaris with stick and handling pkg I :jumping::driving:, but then it becomes apples and oranges vs the new Versa with CVT and no handling pkg. Same vs Fit Sport:bash:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to admit its slow and the transmission is louder. But it has space, pretty good gas milage and priced right. Test drivers are like spoiled kid, they don't have to pay for the car, gas in tank and tire rubbers. You can't expect guys adore M3 appreciate true virtua of this class of cars.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read this article the other day. The Nissan Versa came in lass for Car & Driver's comparison article of the entry level cars.

Here's the link, they did (In order of first to last) The Fit, Chevy Sonic, Yaris, Accent, Rio5 and the Versa

Chevy Sonic vs. Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio5, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris - Comparison Tests
I chose the versa cause when I got in the car, I didn't feel like I was going to brake something. Its a well made and put together car! The transmission I feel is better than an orginal 4 speed automatic. No shift shock, better up mountians, better fuel economy! The other cars listed, I tried them all. The Kia, Yaris, Fit, etc...... Lets just say these other cars may out perform the versa, but I bet the versa would be the last one on the road in twenty years!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with above, though I am disappointed with the CVT acceleration I didn't expect much, if you want to accelerate fast nothing is going to beat a manual in the hands of a skilled driver. I test drove most of these models (didn't bother with chevy or kia for obvious reasons) and if you take the base trims, the Versa outright demolishes many of the competitors and stands up to most of the others. I have to admit I did enjoy the Hyundai but felt they were charging too much for what it was.

This ad really shows an insane bias by comparing trunk room in sedans to hatchbacks and turbo/sport trim performance (starting at 17/18k lol) vs regular. This is somewhat on Nissan for not offering performance options in the SL, but let's face it the Versa isn't about that. No one is buying a versa sedan as a hot rod, it's for comfortably getting the family from A to B with good MPG and good price. I paid less out the door on my Versa than most of the competitors base model MSRP and as brettes said it will probably outlast most of those vehicles.

·
Registered
377 Posts
CVT is beter for acceleration than a normal automatic in theory.

I like the old Versa better than the new one by quite a bit...but let's see what the new hatch is like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the Versa maybe last in all that it said (I dont think so) but we all know what a little suspension work does for the handeling. I can outrun anything besides a subaroooo on a curvy back road.

Yeah your car may stomp all over me in a straight line but I can take sharp curves at over 60 mph. (I have a better chance at getting away from cops)

Plus I believe the new gens are 1.6L well I think that my 5 speed manual is quicker than the 1.8L auto and CVT. Not sure about the 6 speeds, but from red light to red light it beats my co worker/friends V everytime.

·
Registered
17 Posts
These two Car & Driver got right:
1: Slow acceleration
2: It was the most susceptible to crosswinds, “a nervous lamb with almost no sense of straight-ahead.”

Not too long ago my family and I drove on freeway ( 55- 70 mph) with cross side wind, boy what a nerve wrecking ride. It was not easy to stay in my line. I know side wind is affecting every car but some or most cars don't behave like this 2012 versa sedan does.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drove a Mazda 2 before I bought my '12 sedan, man THAT thing was dogass slow! and it was a manual. This Versa S 5spd isn't that bad for acceleration, when ya need it to, it can hustle (kinda - :smilielol5:).

·
Registered
63 Posts
2: It was the most susceptible to crosswinds, “a nervous lamb with almost no sense of straight-ahead.”
Oh yah, definitely skittish in the crosswinds. I worry the people behind me will report me as a drunk with all the darting around!

·
Registered
216 Posts
@Hschlick84 I was just saying that as I was reading down haha the 2012 Versa is waaaaaay too high off the ground and that's probably a huge factor on the crosswinds, it's hard for me to do 65 or 70 on the freeway when it's blowing hard outside

@stumbler I said the same thing about the Mazda 2, second gear is a nightmare in that car!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My hair scrubs the headliner in the 2 and the Fiesta:( Too bad they're so slow too cuz they're supposed to have some zoom-zoom
In Canada, you can get a 2012 Versa SV sedan with manual, but if you want to add the convenience pkg, you have to get it with the cvt Nissan Canada
...but I've never seen one in the flesh

·
Registered
75 Posts
I test drove ALL of the cars in this review. They felt small and unsubstantial. There ride quality left a lot to be desired. I liked the Sonic but it had a harsher ride thatn the Versa. When I tested the Versa I fell in love in a heartbeat.

Btw - most of the other auto magazines rate the Versa decently, the Rio is a contender and the Yaris usually finiishes last.

So much for C&D. They don't really know what they are talking about .... at least niot this time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.