Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

It looks like our first reaction to link the Chinese market Nissan Sunny, revealed in December 2010, to the North American 2012 Versa, was spot on, as these photos clearly prove. Nissan’s new entry in the affordable small sedan segment is a very awkward looking proposal (to say the least…), which probably stems from the fact the Versa / Sunny is based on the Micra’s V-platform architecture, hence the odd proportions of the body.

“The new Versa Sedan stands out as the only expensive looking car in the segment – with a lot of eye power,” said Al Castignetti, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division, Nissan North America.

“Its sculpted, dynamic proportions are modern without being gimmicky, projecting a much higher sense of design value than you might expect in a vehicle with a $10,990 starting M.S.R.P."

We’ll disagree with Castignetti assessment on the Versa’s exterior, but feel free to express your own opinion in the comments section below. Now, moving on to the interior, the Versa’s dashboard appears to be lifted straight off the Micra supermini with only some minor changes to the instrument panel layout and the switchgear.

While retaining the same 102.4-inch wheelbase and 66.7-inch width as the previous generation Versa Sedan, Nissan’s newcomer is 1.2 inches lower in height (59.6 inches) and 0.6 inches shorter in overall length (175.4 inches). According to Nissan, the Versa has more legroom than some mid and large size sedans such as the Lexus LS460, BMW 5-series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class., while offering a trunk volume of 14.8 cubic feet.

Power for the new Versa comes via a second-generation 1.6-liter HR16DE 4-cylinder engine rated at 109 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 107 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm. Buyers can choose between a 5-speed manual transmission (1.6 S model only) and a next-generation Xtronic CVT transmission.

Nissan says fuel economy for the 2012 Versa Sedan is estimated at 30 mpg City, 37 mpg Highway and 33 mpg combined with the CVT transmission, and 27/36/30 mpg with the 5-speed manual gearbox.

As mentioned previously, the 2012 Versa Sedan will be priced from $10,990 (about €7,700 at the current exchange rates), with sales set to start in the summer.

More can be seen here 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan Unveiled, Priced from a Low $10,990 - Carscoop

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i don't like it at all. the 1st gen is way better looking. and the interior sucks in this one. the 2012 model looks more luxury based exterior wise.

im happy with my 07. not stoked about this 2012 versa

·
Registered
377 Posts
It seems as though they've diverged somewhat with the new sedan and the new hatchback. I think the new hatchback (not officially confirmed yet as a Versa for the states yet...but I think it was actually announced new version of the Tiida...just not sure how it reconciles with the sedan redesign) is looking pretty darn nice. Keeps sort of the youthful spirit of the current Versa (with all the mature practicality it has) whereas the sedan seems to now match the mature inside with a mature outside...I don't like it.

Source: Shanghai Auto Show Hosts 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback - WOT

Just look at that! Still...doesn't seem quite right with the sedan, does it? Not really the same car? I don't see why they'd get rid of the hatchback in the states though, it's sold really really well...but again, this is very unusual. Maybe they're looking to get rid of the Sentra, have the Versa sedan, and bring this in as the Tiida or something else? We'll see!

·
Registered
202 Posts
not really feeling the sedan, except for the front end. the tail lamps look goofy as hell from the side, the whole side kinda looks goofy, and the inside is like a mix mash of the cube interior imo...i mean still a good ride for the $$$ no doubt.

i wonder how the new hatchback will turn out

·
Registered
377 Posts
I take it back...after looking at it I do see the connections between the new sedan and the new hatch...like the hatch a lot more, but I like the sedan more than the current versa sedan and I am glad that they streamlined things a bit...for better or for worse it actually looks like a sedan now, but looking at the nose, the headlights, the taillights, the curve of the roof, etc, still same as the hatch...good. Love the new hatchback though...where is the US announcement?!

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
It looks like a damn Yaris sedan from the rear due to the rear tail lights and trunk opening. The mock for the interior is way better than the finalized version. Nissan gets more generic over time unfortunately.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like a damn Yaris sedan from the rear due to the rear tail lights and trunk opening. The mock for the interior is way better than the finalized version. Nissan gets more generic over time unfortunately.
This is the first thing that came to mind! And that it looks smaller, and more of a shape like the Altima. I liked the current sedan.

I'm waiting to see the new gen of the hatchback version tho, it should be out soon i believe..

I really do not like this tho, and if the hatchback is similar to this (if its similar to that Tiida image i might get it) I do believe I'd be going for a Juke instead..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well for one, this seems to be more of a slap together, then a redesign. We have a cube, and I can tell you about 80% of that sedan interior is the same parts from the cube, and to me that is not cool. On the bright side, parts will be interchangeable, but still, I would like it to be a little different, like the way it is now. I don't care for the sedan either. Nissan..... I am ashamed in you. The sedan could have been a lot better. But I do understand the sedan is for price, not looks. Now I see the sedan will have the 1.6 only, and I assume the hatch will have the 1.8, and if you want sporty, then get the hatch. I do love that cluster though, but ill be keeping my 09 sedan, thank you, lol.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
If you want sporty and Nissan get a base Sentra SE-R, the Versa isn't cutting it for that category. Yeah, I agree the 2nd gen Versa is like a Cube and 'slight' redesigned old parts off the 1st gen slapped together without the 1.8 engine.

My bad if I'm being harsh on the 2nd gen V, but I'm not impressed. Lastly, it's a subcompact...

·
Banned
455 Posts
If you want sporty and Nissan get a base Sentra SE-R, the Versa isn't cutting it for that category. Yeah, I agree the 2nd gen Versa is like a Cube and 'slight' redesigned old parts off the 1st gen slapped together without the 1.8 engine.

My bad if I'm being harsh on the 2nd gen V, but I'm not impressed. Lastly, it's a subcompact...
The versa is only meant or it mpg and affordableness. Lol in all respect the versa and sentra is a cheap car that's good on mpg and is very dependable. If you want sport then ser or altima coupe or z! Sadly the price of a spec v is the same as a altima 2.5 so spec production is slowly going down. They only make a certien amount every year of the b16 spec.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Really would love a Versa "GTI"...I guess the Juke is the closest thing with the more powerful engine, sportier suspension, etc...though it's more rally than touring.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
this is a whole new design. It has nothing in common with the previous generation Versa sedan or a cube. It's now on the V platform which is not what we run. This is the same platform the nissan micra runs on and is exactly what this car is. A micra sedan.

I like it better then my current sedan. But it is extremely bland and the interior is not the greatest. But the key factors to moving this car are still there. Extremely roomy, great mpgs even though not as good as competitors on paper, and it's low cost.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Really would love a Versa "GTI"...I guess the Juke is the closest thing with the more powerful engine, sportier suspension, etc...though it's more rally than touring.
If u want all that then go ser or altima coupe...the juke is a suv with great mpg. Versa and sentra base meant for mpg only. That's all nissan thinks about with these two cars

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sedan looks good on the outside, I also like the current sedan. The inside of the new sedan looks like a cross between cheap plastic and the steering wheel of something form the mid 90's with a touch of toyota/honda climate controls. Actually the interior looks dated if that makes any sense. I do however like the new hatch, it looks great inside and out.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts