Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forums. I read the rules but I apologize for any fauxpas that may happen or infringements. Here is my situation:

On February 1st I bought a 2012 Nissan Versa 1.8L Hatchback (S Model I believe). I got it certified preowned and only had 29k miles on it. It was a great car, but about a week and half in, it started to stall in reverse. It doesn't always do it. It will basically always do it when it's cold out (bad winter here in NJ), but it will also occasionally do it after my commute even. If I hit the gas lightly in reverse, it will stall out. And it doesn't feel like it chokes and dies, it feels more like the engine cuts off. If I hit the gas hard, it will almost stall but then it catches up and takes off. I looked all over the internet and I can't find another Versa that does that.

I am looking into what may be causing this, just looking for some ideas. I took it to the dealership today and this terrible technician basically told me that since they can't reproduce it right then and there and there is no check engine light, they won't even look at it. I was disgusted. I spoke to the service manager and he is really apologetic, I am taking my car back and they are giving me a loaner for the night while they investigate. The stuff the technician said were things like, "it's a small engine, things like that will happen". I brought it up as a safety issue at which point he assured me that, "it's not a safety issue, if it were the service engine light would be on". It was all very silly.

So, thanks for reading. Just looking into what I can expect the problem could possibly be. My coworkers think shift sensor, secondary clutch mechanism inside the transmission, people have put the idea out there of vacuum hoses with leaks. I know a bit about cars, I mostly have fixed up my own cars, but I have also never owned a car newer than 1995. New cars are really not easy to work on, IMO, so I stuck with older cars. But my commute basically requires me to have a reliable vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

In case anyone was just reading, here is an update:

I took it to the dealership and made them investigate it. They put me in a 2014 Altima for the night and I was happy. They had it, they adjusted some things such as pressure in certain hoses and then had me come in the next day to get it.

As it turns out, they were never able to reproduce it. I was happy because they were trying something, anything really, just stop treating me like I'm there lying to them. So they go to bring my car around and, BAM, it stalls on them in reverse. They get a technician in the car and it stalls for them again. So, I was in the Altima all weekend long since they had it happen to them finally.

I called them today and they are basically done with my car. Barring any unforeseen events, I should be able to pick it up today.

The annoying bit is that same guy who basically refused to check it out the first time won't really tell me anything. When I asked he said they adjusted some things while it was cold instead of warm this time... which tells me nothing. On Friday, when I spoke to the service manager he said it could be something called the "mother chamber"... or maybe he said "father chamber". I know a thing or two about cars (having driven beaters my whole life) and I have never heard of that. And good luck with a Google Search on that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.