Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa with about 119k on her. Her name is Vera, Vera the Versa. So here is my problem. My Versa is stuck in park and at this point the only way to get it out of park and into gear is by utilizing the shift lock release. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I like to do things myself and I pray this is one of those issues I can fix without spending too much money. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I removed the switch and performed a continuity check on it and I don’t if it’s good or bad. I have two sets of connectors/prongs on the switch and both test the same way. As I test it with my multimeter both sets have continuity and beep, when I push the button in the beep stops. Does anyone know if I did this right?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How old is the battery?, that can do it too.

I for one defeat that switch to never be an issue again, it's a child protection thing and mine are long gone.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You yank the console and determine how the interlock works to stop the shifter from moving then remove something to render it ineffective. On mine I remove the electric solenoid that works the lockout arm. I have removed the arm itself before as well. You have to know what parts you are looking at of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, okay. Right now I am trying to verify if I am checking the brake light switch correctly. Once I verify that, depending if it fixes the problem I'll move on to the next step. Doing something like removing the parts makes me nervous.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Don't be nervous, there is no reason if you know what the parts do. I remove parts from cars all day long to let the cars run for years after and zero issues doing it. Some parts provide very little value other than they are there to complicate issues further and belong gone in my view as they just make cars harder to work on and make for problems later.

On my Fords say I remove the plastic battery covers as they lead to battery overheating at the terminal to melt the cable, it causes fires but Ford won't acknowledge it. Cover gone and the issue disappears. Two cars I had the problem with.

I remove engine beauty covers permanently simply to get to the engines easier. There are lower serp belt covers to keep water off the belt as well but the slightest storm with running water tears them off and little difference with them gone and they cost 10X what the plastic is worth, those stay gone too.

Things like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts