Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically the whole article is negative...

This second-gen Versa deserves crispy-prawn status mostly because it is about as intellectually and athletically evolved as a stunned crustacean and could sure as hell do with a belt or six of Grand Marnier. Here’s an idea: Let’s drink the whole bottle.

It’s surpassingly rare for an essentially all-new car to arrive on the scene and be so uncompetitive. Nissan mandated a car with the lowest MSRP in America—$11,750. And it feels like it. Build a contender, first. Then figure out the price.

The Versa is the longest car in our group, also the only sedan. But we included it because a redesigned five-door hatch has not yet materialized. Beyond its sticker, the Versa’s only other virtue is a back seat large enough for three adults. In almost every other measure, however, this car fouls out, a lugubrious liturgy of  low expectations.

Here we go. It was the slowest to 30 mph, to 60 mph, to 100 mph, and through the quarter-mile. It offered the least skidpad grip. Its 15-cubic-foot trunk tied it with the Kia for least cargo space. It offered cabin surfaces “that would work better in a prison” and the least driver comfort. It displayed the worst ergonomics, the fewest features and amenities, and the worst transmission (a CVT that relentlessly catapults the engine to a screaming 4800 rpm with you screaming along with it). It laid bare the worst fit and finish, the nastiest engine NVH, and the spongiest brake feel. It was the most susceptible to crosswinds, “a nervous lamb with almost no sense of straight-ahead.”

We attempted to identify a single styling cue, inside or out, that said anything at all, that evinced the slightest spark of imagination or creativity. This is the same Nissan that gave us the funky, fun, affordable Juke?
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-nissan-versa-comparison-test-car-and-driver-page-2

Ranked 6th! Really? I know this article is about the 2012s but is the Versa that bad? I've had mine for almost 2 years(2010 1.6) and I love it. As stripped down as it is. :shrug:

Anyone else??? :60:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hopefully nissan sees this and goes back and tweaks the 2014 hatchback to perfection. Learn from their mistakes. I personally never liked the new sedans. The outside and inside designs are horrible. This article only strengths my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
it has the most room, has the best observed mpg (tied), was the only one tested with an automatic, and only one that could be had for under $12k with AC.

The versa is what it is. It's not the fastest, best looking, best handling (even though has the best weight distribution), or the best quality.

It gets the daily duties done better and cheaper then any other car. Which I think was nissan's point. Sure you can argue that they could have done that with a better looking car but honestly I can't see my mother getting out of a fiesta, yaris, mazda2, or a Fit. The accent maybe.

Hopefully nissan sees this and goes back and tweaks the 2014 hatchback to perfection. Learn from their mistakes. I personally never liked the new sedans. The outside and inside designs are horrible. This article only strengths my opinion.
Nissan sells more versa's then any of the cars it was up against. Actually it sells more then several of them combined. Nissan has not made a mistake.
The new hatch will be a totally different car not even in the same class anymore.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Also, I believe it was tested against models with "sport" packages, and although this may not equate to much, it could be a factor, and then there's the CVT, which wasn't made for performance, it was made for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The review sounds about right. Every time I see that interior it makes me say WTF
Its the same interior of a cube, we have a cube so I know, lol. I wish it was a little different, and had more of its own personaltiy, but hey, maybe thats why the price is still so low. I know the 07-11 sedans won many, many, awards, for one of the best small cars in its class. No one could touch it. Nissan's taking a bold chance like they did with the cube, juke, and murano convertible. I dont think its a bad looking car, and with the 1.6 motor and cvt, its clear that Nissan knew that had a great car, and they tried to make the Versa more stylish, and with better MPGs. Cause lets face it, we all know that MR18 is a sucky engine, and Nissan knows it too. I think they did fine, but im in a sentra market now, so I wouldnt be interested in it, but I would recomend it to anyone looking for a great new car, for a great price, and has a little of everything. The versa is like a taco, all the great foods we like rolled in a soft shell tortilla, for $.99, same thing. The cvt is a tranny that takes time to get used. But if your a car fan, you will love hearing the engine scream when you step on it.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
2012 versa

Cube

They share similar hvac controls and steering wheel but that's it.

It's very similar to the nissan micra interior

·
Registered
993 Posts
It doesnt look bad, and for 11 grand thats a really good price for a car, but you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
2012 versa

Cube

They share similar hvac controls and steering wheel but that's it.

It's very similar to the nissan micra interior
Plus the auto shifter is the same, same door handles, cup holders, turn stalks. The 1st gen versa shared the same hub caps, tires, fogs, radios, keyless system, the list goes on. I guess I feel nissan uses to many of the same parts for multiple cars. I know my turn stalks in the sentra are used in altima, maxima, armada, murano, etc. I was kinda expecting something different with the new design of the versa. I see the cubes interior all the time, and when I see versa's insides, it just shouts out cube.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Nissan does use alot of parts between models. They said they were going to do this more years ago. It saves them money and is probably a reason why nissan's cost less then the competition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
honestly guys I think the 2012 sedan is butt ugly.. It looks like a few different cars eg sentra / altima / corolla smushed together.. but just a mess to look at in general .. Ppl keep calling my 2007 Versa an Echo.. atleast that problem will go away with the 2012

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
lol, i thought our 07 and 09 looked like an echo too. We had a 2002 echo coupe as well. im glad im not the only one who thought that too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think the 2012's look like the yaris sedan im not a big fan of them I like the 1st gen much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fell in love with the versa sedan, inside and out! Mine is a base model. However it has a boat load of options! Man, I can't believe these reports! The CVT is not for racing! It was designed for fuel economy! Plus I live in an area with mountains, and it fly's up hill! I read a report on KBB, the versa is the Toyota Camry of compact cars! With its style and great interior room. I'm happy with that!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think the 2012 back end looks much better than the first gen sedan. First gen sedan looks like they took a hatch and cut a notch into it and gave it a trunk lid which probably isnt far from the truth. I have always been more into the hatch because it looked good, had tons and tons of room for people and stuff. I moved all of my stuff except for my double bed with my hatchback from my apartment to my current residence. I definitly would not have been able to do that with the sedan. I love my little versa and all that she can do for the low low price of 12,495.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.