Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 nissan versa SL that has the navigation/back up camera touch screen radio in it. I am planning to install a 12" subwoofer in the trunk to add some bass to my system. The question I have is if this head unit has the RCA ports in the back or not. I really want to keep the factory head unit because it already has everything I want in it. Has anyone else attempted to do this and if so do you have any pointers for me. I also plan on replacing the stock speakers in the door. Thanks for your help in advance, this is my first post since joining.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can. You'll need a crossover thing though so it will filter out all of the highs to your sub. You'll also need a remote wire from the amp to the radio or some other source that tells the amp to turn on when you turn your key to accessories or start.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can. You'll need a crossover thing though so it will filter out all of the highs to your sub. You'll also need a remote wire from the amp to the radio or some other source that tells the amp to turn on when you turn your key to accessories or start.
Just wanted to say that some self powered sub and amps have a option to turn on when a signal is sent from the input signal, so you don't need to have a remote turn on if you have that feature.

Some Kicker amps have this. Both my IX500.4 and HS8 have this feature.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't know much about audio. But why is it necessary to have the amp power switched? I would think that it doesn't consume enough power to matter when there is no input signal. No? Are they big drains even when no pre-amp audio signal is going to it?

Nevermind, found out most units need B+ voltage for the "amplifying" circuits to be energized/work. I thought the amp did it's job as long as it has it's audio inputs. Turns out most don't have that sensing capability.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know much about audio. But why is it necessary to have the amp power switched? I would think that it doesn't consume enough power to matter when there is no input signal. No? Are they big drains even when no pre-amp audio signal is going to it?

Nevermind, found out most units need B+ voltage for the "amplifying" circuits to be energized/work. I thought the amp did it's job as long as it has it's audio inputs. Turns out most don't have that sensing capability.
Yeah, it is just there to tell the amplifier to turn on/off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.