Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Versa SV sedan. It has been a good car. Around 65-70,000 miles it started to hum in the front end. it was quiet and faint, but I could tell that it was there. I got the tires rotated and balanced then and nothing seemed to change. I figured it was the front left wheel bearing, so bought a cheap one of amazon and put it in. The hum didn't change but the front end was noticeably worse, so I bought a Timken bearing and just this week had that put in. That again didn't change the hum, but the front end was smoother. (Never will buy cheap China bearings ever again). Since I first heard the hum, it has gotten louder. The hum first becomes noticeable around 35-40mph and gets louder to a drone that is very noticeable and noisy. I havent gotten an alignment since changing the bearing, or had the tires rotated (even though that didnt help before) Any ideas on what would be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
So it varies with car speed, not engine speed and its loudest about 45 mph? Yup, sounds like wheel bearing. Do you have anyone that can ride with you to give you a second opinion of its location?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cobb, someone else has ridden in the car and also thought drivers side. The bearing has been replaced twice (although the first time the bearing was a crap China one) but the even with a good new bearing the noise didn?t change.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Did you try rotating tires?

Back in the day when I was a real mechanic we use to put cars on the lift in gear with engine running and walk around the outside to hear the noise to verify its location.

I know most people do not have lifts, but you hopefully eliminated the driver side unless you got a bad bearing to replace it with. When Ive done wheel bearings usually the bad ones were loose, felt gritty when you rotating them, some appeared muddy or rusty others were just metal rubbing metal and all the balls or rollers were long gone as the wheel wobbled. >:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cobb, this evening we rotated tires and no change. My work has a lift so we put it up on that and the only think we can hear is coming from where the axles come into the transmission. Any ideas on what that might be? Both wheel bearing felt good and the wheels themselves spun freely when we had it on the lift.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Where the axles goes is the differential. That means transmission bearings. Could try a fluid change. Maybe early cvt failure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing