Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our son passed away while active duty army we inherited his car. It is a 2013 Versa 4 door sedan. I parked it in our garage in late April or early May. I decided to go out and start it up to make sure it would. I climbed in and noticed right away that the battery was dead (no lights came on). I tried to start it anyway. I pressed the clutch down and turned the key....nothing. I did notice that the clutch pedal did not return when I lifted my foot.
I put a charger on it and left it over night. At first the charger was pushing 8 amps. I just checked it and it was only pushing 2 amps. Thought I would try again. I first pulled the clutch pedal back by hand. Climbed in and pressed the clutch and turned the key. The pedal was totally soft, like it was yesterday when I first tried. There was a slight sound of the fuel pump but other than that absolutely nothing. No click of the solenoid. No sound of the starter trying to turn the engine over.
I have checked and there is a very slight puddle under the car of a few drops of fluid. The brake res is full.
  1. Does the clutch use the same res as the brake?
  2. If the clutch master or slave cylinder has gone out wouldn't it still be able to start?
  3. If the clutch pedal is tripping the safety switch wouldn't it try to start?
  4. My son didn't do a lot of maintenance that his widow knows of so I have no idea what has been done or when it was serviced last.
  5. The car has 86,274 miles. He bought it new in Washington state at his first duty station.
  6. I have tried with the clutch pressed as well as released. I have tried it with the tranny in neutral or in gear. No change.
I need to get the car running so I can give it to my grandson (nephew of my son) who will be driving soon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you checked the battery connections to be sure they are tight/clean. You might also want to take the battery to an auto parts store and get it load tested to be sure it hasn't gone bad. Batteries can show a full charge but drop to near nothing when the load of the starter is put on it. As for the clutch it sounds like it may be a bad slave cylinder. My Versa doesn't have a manual transmission but I know lots of cars use the same master cylinder/fluid for brakes and clutch.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
103 Posts
First off, I am sorry for your loss...
I have a 2016 Versa (manual transmission) if the 2014 is built the same, you will have a clutch master cylinder and a slave master cylinder. The reservoir for the clutch master is the top portion of the brake master cylinder. If the brake master cylinder is low (below the line) then yes your clutch master could be sucking air.
The engineers didn't want the clutch system to be able to drain all of the brake fluid out of the brake master cylinder, so they designed it in such a way that there will be adequate fluid to operate the brakes in the event of a clutch system leak/drain.
As far as the car not cranking, I would think the clutch pedal being depressed should tell the computer to allow cranking. I'm of the same opinion as the other poster, that the battery could be weak or you have a dirty connection at the battery posts or starter. I might inspect all the necessary connections look for dirt or corrosion.
Is this the original battery in the car?? If so, it really may be unable to take a charge even if it is showing that it is. I have a load tester ($15 - Harbor Freight) that I use to test my battery, but you could have the battery tested at a local parts store, most have a load tester.
For the record, my battery lasted about 4 years, but I do live in an extremely hot climate that reduces the useful life significantly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts