Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the dealer only the dealer can check and do fluid change. Its hard to believe there are not any other auto shoppes that can perform this maintenance. Have any suggestions on where to take it to in DFW area of texas (besides the dealer) ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it's like any manual box I've worked with, it should be as easy as getting an allen or square key, popping the lower drain plug, draining it 'til it's empty, plugging the bottom hole, unplugging the fill hole and pumping fluid in the top until it starts to seep out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not certain. Here is the problem I have encountered with Nissan dealers in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area.

Dealer #1 says replace every 30k.
Dealer #2 says replace every 60k.
Dealer #3 says replace when it gets dirty.
Dealer #4 says you don't ever have to service it.

These are true statements made by Dallas / Ft. Worth Nissan dealers. And that's the problem. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was told by the dealer only the dealer can check and do fluid change. Its hard to believe there are not any other auto shoppes that can perform this maintenance. Have any suggestions on where to take it to in DFW area of texas (besides the dealer) ?
If your car is still under warranty, I would have the dealer change out the fluid so there are no questions regarding whether the job was done correctly.

As for doing the job yourself, do not drain the tranny UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THAT YOU CAN GET THE FILL PLUG OUT. There have been cases where the transmission was drained, and the owner could not get the fill plug out. That leaves you DEAD IN THE WATER.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your car is still under warranty, I would have the dealer change out the fluid so there are no questions regarding whether the job was done correctly.

As for doing the job yourself, do not drain the tranny UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THAT YOU CAN GET THE FILL PLUG OUT. There have been cases where the transmission was drained, and the owner could not get the fill plug out. That leaves you DEAD IN THE WATER.
Good advice Pimperell. I done that before on an old 59 F100, had to pull the tranny to drill it out. Very good advice above. Q

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
196k on my fluid. I never changed it and I have no issues with my clutch. I usually don't change manual transmission fluid or gear oil until I need to pull an axle either to replace the axle or do a clutch job. Then I drain it so I don't make a mess and when I button everything up I put fresh fluid in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
let me get this straight...

you bought the car new...?? (only owner)
and drove 196,000 miles on original nissan manual trans. fluid...??
with no problems...?

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
let me get this straight...

you bought the car new...?? (only owner)
and drove 196,000 miles on original nissan manual trans. fluid...??
with no problems...?
Yes new and it now has 199k miles. I have not changed the gear oil or the coolant yet. I have not changed a spark plug or the belt either. I also did not touch the rear brakes yet. I have done the front pads and rotors once. I do change the oil every 7500-10k miles and I change the air filter. The engine and transmission still seem perfectly healthy to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats amazing...
you mention oil changes at apprx 7500 miles...do you or have you ever used sythetic motor oil...? just asking cause of the length in oil changes... just curious why you have never changed manual fluid and coolant and spark plugs...? and the belt your talking about is the serpentine belt...? sorry to ask so much, but i am blown away...any plans on changing anything soon? (preventative maintenance for example) thanks for the reply....

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
thats amazing...
you mention oil changes at apprx 7500 miles...do you or have you ever used sythetic motor oil...? just asking cause of the length in oil changes... just curious why you have never changed manual fluid and coolant and spark plugs...? and the belt your talking about is the serpentine belt...? sorry to ask so much, but i am blown away...any plans on changing anything soon? (preventative maintenance for example) thanks for the reply....
I use the cheapest synthetic oil I can find. It is usually walmart supertech. But sometimes the auto part stores have specials. I then buy a good filter which is usually purolator pure one filter. But I have used the cheap walmart one and nissan filters along the way. I drive alot of highway so changing oil sooner would be a waste of time and money.

As for not changing the manual tranny fluid, the transmission shifts great and I always expected to need a clutch or axle by now. I wait until that happens to change the tranny fluid since draining it is usually required for those jobs. Just my luck the clutch is still perfect and axles are holding up.

The coolant most likely should have been changed but again no issues with the cooling system as of yet. Does coolant go bad? Some manufactures do not recommend changing it until well after 100k. So I was waiting until I needed to do it like if a hose split or the tstat needed changing. Again none of this has happened to me yet.

Spark plug change? No missing, engine idles great, accelerates great . . . well it accelerates like new. I wouldn't call it great but it's a gas sipping 1.6. So no need to change the plugs.

The serpentine belt def needs to be changed. It has cracks in it. If I do anything this will probably be the one.

I always say I will do all these things but life has been super busy. I was selling a house, had a baby, bought a new house and am now moving in. When the dust settles I may tackle these things but honestly I am just waiting for the car to die so I can buy a truck (see signature). This vehicle was supposed to be a budget A to B and it exceeded expectations. The car was FREE!! The money I saved in gas from my old car paid for this vehicle. If it died tomorrow I would not be upset at all. Even if it's death was premature from me neglecting it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
^ that's good to know. I don't see much importance in changing the manual trans fluid either but would keep any eye out for leaking axle seal etc so that it doesn't run low. I should have changed my auto trans fluid by now but dealer wants 120+ to do so and really didnt feel like doing it myself and getting the level back right so I'm gonna see how long it lasts. 120k thus far, factory coolant and trans fluid, belt and rear brakes although I realize all of these items do need to be replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
tylerz71
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing