Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note. It has none of the bells and whistles, just a straight shot, bare bones model. No automatic anything. So key fob I do not have. Just regular old manual key.

When buying the car used in 2016, there was a slight issue with using the key on the hatchback. I was assured a little WD 40 every now and then would work. It did for a while but now, I can no longer unlock the hatchback, I can no longer unlock 3 of the 4 doors, I keep the drivers side door unlocked always just so I don't get locked out. Now I'm having issues with the key turning in the ignition.

Is it the locks or the Key itself? How much would it be to fix? Can I use an autolock locksmith and make a few extra keys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried a couple of hardware stores without luck. They gave up. Went to a professional locksmith shop and paid $2.50 a key for "as good as original" copies. Told my Nissan service department about it because they had no idea where to go. Good luck...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you tried a product like "lockese" (maybe spelled wrong), there are several on the market and any of the auto parts stores have them. WD 40 isn't really a lubricant it's a Water Remover....hence the name.

Can you look at your key and see an area the is worn or has a burr? If you have more than one key do they all have the same problem? If you don't push the key in quite all the way does it work better?

If the car sits outside in all types of weather you maybe getting some rust on the inside of the lock mechanisms.

If all else fails at least take the car to an auto locksmith and see what he has to say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keys eventually wear out and having a locksmith cut a new key by copying the old one won't restore it. What does work is having a locksmith or the dealer cut a new key by the key number which will be just like a brand new key. The dealer should be able to look up the key number by the VIN#.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note. It has none of the bells and whistles, just a straight shot, bare bones model. No automatic anything. So key fob I do not have. Just regular old manual key.

When buying the car used in 2016, there was a slight issue with using the key on the hatchback. I was assured a little WD 40 every now and then would work. It did for a while but now, I can no longer unlock the hatchback, I can no longer unlock 3 of the 4 doors, I keep the drivers side door unlocked always just so I don't get locked out. Now I'm having issues with the key turning in the ignition.

Is it the locks or the Key itself? How much would it be to fix? Can I use an autolock locksmith and make a few extra keys?

Thanks!
As another poster mentioned, have the dealer make you a brand new key from your vin number. The odds of 3 door locks and the ignition all going bad would indicate that the KEY is the problem, and not the locks. It may be costly, but is should solve the issue.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's likely a chipped key and you won't get those for $5.

You can get non-chipped keys cut from the worn one to use on the doors but they simply restore the highpoints in a random guess and sometimes it works and sometimes not.

WD40 works fine for locks AT FIRST, but turns into a sticky dried bubblegum-like substance once it reduces all the VOC out of it in summer heat, then it is horrible in locks. Use like 3n1 light oil instead, or powdered graphite.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just some useless fun information: WD is an abbreviation of “water displacement” and 40 because it was on the 40th attempt, in 1953, that the product was created.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Alan_nc
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing