Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 2014 Nissan Versa back from the dealership after inspecting the oil leak. They said it is the upper oil pan that is leaking. I have noticed oil dripping in my parking spot. From the video they sent me, the bottom of the car is coated in oil. I lost about a quart over a month period. Anyways, how can they tell if it is the upper oil pan gasket when you cant even see it? They quoted me at 2100 for parts and labor saying they will have to take the engine out of the car to replace the gaskets. I am going to replace the lower gasket and clean up the bottom on the 24th and see if that was the only problem. Does anyone have any advice or has this happened to anyone? I am at 117040 miles on my car.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sounds about right for a dealer doing a engine remove/replace.
If you did go this route, I would have them also inspect and/or replace the timing chain, oil pump, oil pump chain, and all tensioners and followers.
You would be in for mostly parts as the engine is already out of the car and the bottom end off, and probably the timing cover as well.
DEFINATELY have them replace the drive belt tensioner and idler pully if the motor comes out.

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
90 Posts
Spending $2k for an oil drip is hard to swallow. Especially being the car is worth about $4k over all. An independent shop would be way cheaper but still a big nut to swallow. I would degrease and get under the car and see if you can snug up bolts yourself. You may be able to access what you need. Then also try a high quality oil stop leak product. They are not all created equally. I have tried them all and have seen the best result from Blue Devil brand products. Its not instant and may not stop it all but if you can slow it down you will be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts