Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many versa owners out there have cvt transmission shudder issues. My car now has 37500k miles and i'd say this issue started around 5-6 k miles ago. It seems to shudder during the first fluctuation in rpms. I called nissan and was told this issue is normal however my car hasnt always had an issue. Should i be concerned about this? Is this an indication that my tran is starting to fall apart?

thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just wondering how many versa owners out there have cvt transmission shudder issues. My car now has 37500k miles and i'd say this issue started around 5-6 k miles ago. It seems to shudder during the first fluctuation in rpms. I called nissan and was told this issue is normal however my car hasnt always had an issue. Should i be concerned about this? Is this an indication that my tran is starting to fall apart?

thanks
If the shudder gets worse, or the tranny shows some other issues, I would definitely take it back to the dealer for inspection. I have a 2012 Versa CVT, and have no such issue. Good luck!!!

CVT transmission has a warranty of:

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
519 Posts
pimperell, I hope I am mistaken, but I believe the extended warranty on the CVT only applies to 2003-2010 MY Nissan vehicles. I think my 2014 Note is covered up to 5 yrs/60K miles only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife's 2014 Versa SV Sedan does the exact same thing. It didn't operate that way when we first purchased it. We had the dealership take a look at it when we brought it in for an oil change, they performed a software update on the transmission which made the transmission behave differently but did not resolve the issue. They also supposedly replaced the front wheel bearings as they were supposedly bad. Issue started at around 15,000 miles after an oil change at the dealership. Our issue seems to manifest only after the car has been running for a bit, if you slow down to a stop or near stop then accelerate, it will hesitate, shudder, then go.

2014 model isn't covered by the extended warranty that was given to 2008-2012 owners, so it's the standard 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. If the behavior continues, we'll trade it in for a Kia before the expiration of the warranty. I don't want to be stuck with a $3,000 repair bill to have them swap it for a rebuilt CVT transmission. Supposedly these JACO transmissions have a lot of problems.

I will update here every few months whenever there is any service performed, etc. I expect to have them look at it again at the next oil change.

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks
My 2014 Versa does the same thing. I took it in for the recall on the CVT software update a couple of weeks ago, hoping that it would be fixed. It didn't fix it. It actually only changed the point when it shudders. It was doing it around 20-30mph or somewhere around there after taking off, now it happens as soon as I hit the gas to take off. It doesn't do it all of the time, but it is annoying. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the hassle of taking it back in or just hoping it holds out until I can trade it off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being an owner of the 14 Versa sv CVT I know why it does that. The only real why to keep from the shudder when coming to a stop it to force the trans to come out of second. I've noticed that when coming to a stop I don't need to place my foot on the brake. Reason: its still in second. I've taken it to Nissan dealerships but the problem is still there so I'm pinning it on the trans its self

·
Registered
11 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread as I had posted on it before. The software upgrade didn't help on ours. As of today, the dealership has told us that we will be receiving a new transmission as the CVT in our 2014 SV has failed at 45,000 miles.

Thankfully covered by warranty, I'm not sure we will buy another Nissan with a CVT ever again. We certainly will get rid of the car before the 60,000 mile power train warranty expires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
<I'm not sure we will buy another Nissan with a CVT ever again. We certainly will get rid of the car before the 60,000 mile power train warranty expires. >

This is a common understanding owners arrive at, AFTER buying Nissans.

Word seems to not have spread enough YET - for prospective new buyers - that their CVTs are a major issue.

Across models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're at 59,500 miles. Pondering on whether to spend $900 on an extended warranty for a 2 year period, or to risk it until we can get a new vehicle next year. We still have one year left on the loan. Sigh, this Versa was the worst purchase decision I've made.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What second gear? It's a CVT.

And, what ATX on the planet removes the trans from a gear when stopped, it is NORMAL to be in gear then. Why the convertor slips at a stop.

People talking about things they have no knowledge of whatsoever.

The shudder likely comes from CVT chain slipping and then digging in rapidly at loading after unloading.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a 2015 Note SV with the CVT and at first, it was fine. It drove okay and had no lagging, shuddering or other issues. BUT, at around 30,000 I noticed that sometimes when I pressed the accelerator, it would seem to do nothing, then catch and pull away with extra revs. It didn't do it every time but after awhile, I noticed it would do it when turning right at the same intersection. The CVT just didn't feel as tight as it should have been, either and it was starting to whine. So I traded yesterday for a 2017 Versa S with the 5 speed.

I will never buy a car with a CVT again. Either a multi-speed auto or a standard transmission on the order form please. And why can't we get the fancier stuff like power locks and windows, better radio, better seats and cruise with a standard? Nissan is penalizing us for not wanting a failure prone transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Yes, Id get the ext warranty reading about the problems. No my plans to buy a cvt nissan are crushed at this point too. Had a honda with one and although it was trouble free for 104 thousand miles, I like gears better or bands and clutch packs like in a conventional automatic.

In regards to the shuttering and other funny business change the fluid. In the honda you could adjust the cvt on the fly by coasting from 35 mph to 15 in 30 second on a clear road. You can repeat this process if once didnt do anything. On my honda it had a inline filter to the tranny cooler under the hood that looked like a metal can on one of the hoses. At 60 thousand miles I managed to purchase the internal non replaceable filter, pan gasket and dropped the pan like on a typical american car from the 70s and clean the magnets, replace the black filter and gasket. That time it took twice as much cvt fluid to fill it up. After that it drove amazingly smooth, smoother than when new.

The Temple of VTEC interviewed an engineer or someone high up the food chain in regards to the cvt honda has and he recommended changing the fluid even 10 thousand km. US Americans on the form interrupted that to every or every other engine oil change which was once a year or ten thousand US miles.

I know we are talking about 2 different cars, but Im sure a lot of the cvt stuff is similar. My honda jerked from a dead stop and 25-35 mph. Others complained of a rubber band feeling.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What second gear? It's a CVT.

And, what ATX on the planet removes the trans from a gear when stopped, it is NORMAL to be in gear then. Why the convertor slips at a stop.

People talking about things they have no knowledge of whatsoever.

The shudder likely comes from CVT chain slipping and then digging in rapidly at loading after unloading.
The CVTs on the 2012-present Versa sedans and 2014-present Versa Notes are the 2nd generation XTronic CVTs. These come with a sub-planetary gearset that acts as a 2-speed conventional automatic combined with the belt and pulleys of a CVT. This allows the CVT a wider range of gear ratios for better acceleration and gas mileage.

Next-generation Xtronic CVT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you done a drain and fill on the CVT fluid? My Toyota Prius never had an issue with the CVT before some stupid teenage girl totaled it back in Nov 2017 and it had over 192K on it with original brakes. I love those regenerated brakes, all cars should have them

·
Registered
679 Posts
We're at 59,500 miles. Pondering on whether to spend $900 on an extended warranty for a 2 year period, or to risk it until we can get a new vehicle next year. We still have one year left on the loan. Sigh, this Versa was the worst purchase decision I've made.
I had posted much earlier in the thread about not having any issues with my 2012 Versa Sedan cv. Well just an update.........Car has about 18,000 miles on it, and a week before my power train warranty was about to expire, I started to experience that stuttering when stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, along with a "check engine" light. Rode around like that for a couple of days without any improvement, and on the last day of my warranty, brought the car into the dealership. Half hour after they had the car, I was informed that the "Control valve" in the tranny was defective, and needed to be replaced. Half hour after I received that news, the service tech came back and said that Nissan wanted the entire transmission replaced, not just the control valve all under warranty. Car was laid up for 2 days, with the dealership providing a loaner car. Upon receiving the car back, everything was fine, and they extended warranty on the new transmission for another 12 months.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
dhonzik, Your prius is all gears and 2-3 electric motors. There's really nothing but bearings to wear out. I believe its an eCVT where as the other cars are CVTs. The rest have steel belts, clutch packs, valves and hydraulics to make stuff happen. THe honda insight used a clutch pack instead of a torque converter and that produced a lot of trash that required frequent fluid changes to get rid of.

So your Nissan dealer was going to replace the control valve? I understand Nissan has diagnosis procedures available, however no parts. So, even if its zeroed in on the defective part you can either replace it with another used part from another cvt or just replace the whole cvt. They use those trannys in a range of vehicles and you would think they had that down to a science.

·
Registered
679 Posts
To be honest with you, if I decide to purchase another vehicle I would not go for the cv transmission again. I know it is supposed to give you better gas mileage, but it has a number of drawbacks that will have me looking for an automatic instead. Happy New Year to you!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
+1. I love this 5 speed. Who ever picked the gear ratios and final drive did their job. One reason I hate sticks in eco boxes is that they seem to get the split between 2nd and 3rd off so you end up in situations 2nd is too low, but 3rd gear is too high in regards to revs and torque for like extended grades and hills. Basically if you approach a grade you need to be hauling ass in your non over drive gear doing 5 over the speed limit or you end up doing like 30 mph in 2nd with the big trucks in the far right lane waiting to crest the hill.

The down side is between the ratios, final drive and rev limit you need to do a 2 to 3 shift to reach 60 mph. This hurts 0-60 time, but I think they could just up the rev limit to fix that.

Thats one of the lovely things about an older civic si with its like 9 thousand redline with vtec engagement at 5500 rpms. You can hit 80 mph in 2nd at 9 grand if needed. >:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts