Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all so I have a question. I have a 2014 Nissan Versa SV Note here 36,000 miles also (salvaged vehicle) now rebuilt title and I had an incident where the transmission fluid line leaked and all the transmission fluid came out. Wasn't able to move the car into drive or reverse. Everything did turn on including the engine, but wasn't taking risks into revving it because the fluid for the trans all came out. When I towed it to a nearby shop in the area they said one of the transmission fluid lines was slightly dented caused by the radiator being dented a bit as well originally it could've been the accident that caused this who knows but overtime it must've blown the leak in the lines. The radiator is fine because the a/c works and everything. They then ordered in parts for a new line while they put in a temporary line to hold the fluid together which they said they tested the car / cvt transmission first and they decided to throw in the Carquest CVT transmission fluid brand instead of the OEM Nissan N-S3 CVT Fluid. Would you think aftermarket transmission fluid would affect my transmission??? I called them and they said it's compatible with N-S3 and said he would show me the bottle where the description says that!? Pls help. Plus I never told them to throw in Carquest CVT transmission fluid in there either. They never called me for any updates! I am always the one calling bout it because it is my car after all! Just wanting other opinions before they make it official.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I doubt the Carquest fluid will hurt anything. They were probably just buying what was readily available and in the process made the repair cheaper for you. Carquest fluid was probably less than $10qt., Nissan NS-3 is about $20.qt. If you are or later experience problems with the CVT I'd think it's more likely there was damage caused by there being no fluid in it rather than the use of the Carquest fluid.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
X2. If you started and ran the engine the trans tries to pump fluid to fill trans up in 50 places. If truly empty enough to be dry then parts like pump and clutchpacks can tear up in seconds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Check reviews online on aftermarket CVT fluid you find most people say it works as well or better than the original. Castrol, Valvoline and many other manufacturers make CVT fluid that is compatible with NS-3. Valvoline can be bought for around $6-7 a qt. as opposed to $20. for Nissan NS-3. I don't know what manufacturer makes the fluid for Nissan but without a doubt it's made by some oil company and Nissan just puts their name on it. Same with Carquest, it's made by an oil manufacturer and labeled as Carquest. When I was a child my dad nearly always bought and ran Montgomery Ward tires. One of the employees at the Montgomery Ward auto center told dad their tires were made by Kelly-Springfield. I've used all brands of oil in my cars over the past 43 years from major brands to store branded and every car that hasn't been traded off early or wrecked has ran a minimum of 125K and as high as 518K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pardon me for reviving an old thread, about to drain the xmsn oil pan and replace filter; then reservice through the top. Did you have any problems with the Carquest CVT?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts