Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am researching sub-compact and compact cars. Test drove the Versa Note 2014 SL trim line. The 10 mins that I test drove, it seemed like a fine car.

I currently own Hondas, so first time to Nissan.

Want to get feedback regarding cost of ownership and value retention for Nissans. Also, if there are other 2014 Versa Note or even Sedan owners, would love to hear from them as to how their days of owning and driving the car have been so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're going to spend $17K or more (SV trim?), get a 2014 Honda Fit. Hondas have better resale value and reliability.

Here's an article from a week ago:

2014 Honda Fit beats Nissan Versa-Note in initial purchase value - Torque News

If you want the best "bang for the buck" base model hatch, get a Note S for less than $15K.

I have a Note and love it. The gas mileage is great. The roominess is awesome.

·
Registered
637 Posts
personally i find that article very speculative as to resale value as that has yet to be determined and the whole line about "interior panels flexing when closing doors" is a load of BS as i have never had that happen to me when closing any of my Notes doors and while the Fit may have a slight upper hand on ergonomics it has as much plastic on the interior as the Note does so i dont understand what the complaint about the plastic interior is. OP if you are in the market for a sub-compact both the Fit and the Note are great choices and honestly i would test drive both back to back and decide for yourself which suits you better instead of listening to the reviews. i honestly think the fact that the Fit is a SOHC design is the sole reason that it is perceived as a much more powerful engine due to the inherent torquiness of a SOHC engine design compared to the Notes DOHC design. also OP if you are interested the Note already has a growing aftermarket behind it that addresses alot of the handling and "powerlessness" of the Note

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I say drive them both and go with which one you like more. Both decent cars, though I myself lean toward a fit because it can be had with manual transmission on higher models. I chose the Versa over a fit back in the day due to size and cost to own. It had a cheaper purchase price, cheaper insurance, and cheaper taxes. If I had more money to burn I would have gone FIT. If I was buying today I would cross shot the Fit and the Note as you are. Really sucks the manual doesn't come in the higher models in the US. But since you are in Canada you have that option.

I wouldn't worry too much about reliability with either car. Both are well made and but use cheaper materials in the cabin like note-ified said. The engine in the Note is an hr16de which nissan has been using for awhile now and it seems to be pretty reliable. You won't find too many complaints about the engine except for it's lack of power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your detailed feedback. I did look at the Fit, though only on the website and not yet in the showroom. Will do that. For now atleast, I dislike the way the dash looks in the latest Fit. Looks worse in photos than a Note.
I re-visited the Nissan show room today to just have a close look at the interior build quality and see if looks like cheap plastic. Yes, when compared to even my 15 year old Accord, it does look cheap. If I don't mind that and nothing great to talk about driving feel, then the fuel economy and rear passenger area legroom are something to consider.
For now I am thinking of going with the SL with Tech package. Without any neogiation, it comes to $23,500. They are giving $750 off on the MSRP, so it should bring the price down a bit. I am waiting to see if next month when the Auto show rolls, they might have some different and hopefully better promotion. It seems last time they had $1000 off during the Auto show days. That will give me some time to test drive the Fit.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend $23k or even close to it on a little economy car. For that money I would step it up a class for sure. LIke a mazda 3 or ford focus.

If you really like the tiny cars how much is a fiesta ST up there? My opinion makes no difference I know. You do what works for you and makes you happy but $23k for a NOTE seems a bit much.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend $23k or even close to it on a little economy car. For that money I would step it up a class for sure. LIke a mazda 3 or ford focus.

If you really like the tiny cars how much is a fiesta ST up there? My opinion makes no difference I know. You do what works for you and makes you happy but $23k for a NOTE seems a bit much.

fiesta ST goes for over $30k up there

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
fiesta ST goes for over $30k up there
See I really don't know CA pricing LOL. Damn cars are expensive up there. I swear when the note first came out our Canadian members posted pricing and it was cheaper then USA.

·
Registered
637 Posts
lol, yeah i could have sworn their pricing was more in line with ours down here when it came to the Note, but yeah a fully loaded one like the OP is talking about comes out to around $23k with taxes and all the licensing fees...also looked up the Honda Fit up there and a similarly optioned out one of those costs over $24k with the taxes and everything

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to dealer today as they had called to say they have a special offer as they have not met monthly quota.

On road for top of the line SL with tech pkg....$ 22,000.

But things fell apart when they were offering only $500 for my 1998 Honda accord ex with 169000 miles (yes it is US model).

I would have bit the bullet but driving versa Note did not feel exciting....in fact boring than my 98 Accord. It just is a car to economically go from point A to B.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Went to dealer today as they had called to say they have a special offer as they have not met monthly quota.

On road for top of the line SL with tech pkg....$ 22,000.

But things fell apart when they were offering only $500 for my 1998 Honda accord ex with 169000 miles (yes it is US model).

I would have bit the bullet but driving versa Note did not feel exciting....in fact boring than my 98 Accord. It just is a car to economically go from point A to B.
and thats why i always go to a place called carmax down here in the states...dealer low balled me on my trade in too...went to carmax and they offered me almost triple what the dealer offered me

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my Note at the end of August, so I was aiming for end of month incentives as well as Labor Day Sale. I got SL with tech for 20500.00 grand total. I had financing already in hand, but the dealer asked if they could try to compete, I said sure, and they came up with financing at a lesser rate than what I had.

Really pleased so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.