Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I have a new 2014 Versa S Sedan Manual. When starting the car the A/C makes a really funny noise. It works fine, I was just wondering if anyone is hearing the same noise?? It usually only does it when starting with the A/C light on. If I turn the A/C on a minute after starting the car, it usually doesn't make any funny noises.

Thanks,
John Comer

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a 2014 Note and I noticed a very short but noticeable BELT CHIRP noise when I turn on the AC (actually when the AC compressor engages) for the first time in the morning or if the car has sat for a while, long enough to cool the engine down. I cannot recreate the noise if I simply turn off and turn on the AC again after the initial start. It will only do it after the engine has cooled down.

Not sure if this is what you would call a "really funny noise".

In my case, I would think a simple belt adjustment is probably all that's needed and I just have not had the time to do it. Most likely I will wait till my first oil change at the dealer and ask them to check it.

Would be nice if you can have a better description of the noise and approx where it is coming from (inside the cabin, under hood, etc.).

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've noticed if you let the car warm up to operating temp then turn on the A/C the start up noise (screech/chirp) is not there.
Probably in doing so, the heat makes the belt more flexible/pliable/more grippy and less likely to slip.

This issue is a bit disappointing since I cannot remember observing a belt slip problem with the serpentine poly-vee belts ever. Although (to qualify) all of the cars I owned with poly-vee belts also had auto-tensioners on them. This noise used to be very common with the old vee belts, with most manufacturers opting to use two (twin) vee belts to eliminate the chrip problem when the AC compressor cycles.

I would think if the chirp does not go away with a simple tightening adjustment, may be a change in the brand of belt would fix the problem. Hopefully one that is not too sensitive to temperature change.

Looks like Nissan went the cheap route here and judging from comments so far, it may be a common issue.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Probably in doing so, the heat makes the belt more flexible/pliable/more grippy and less likely to slip.

This issue is a bit disappointing since I cannot remember observing a belt slip problem with the serpentine poly-vee belts ever. Although (to qualify) all of the cars I owned with poly-vee belts also had auto-tensioners on them. This noise used to be very common with the old vee belts, with most manufacturers opting to use two (twin) vee belts to eliminate the chrip problem when the AC compressor cycles.

I would think if the chirp does not go away with a simple tightening adjustment, may be a change in the brand of belt would fix the problem. Hopefully one that is not too sensitive to temperature change.

Looks like Nissan went the cheap route here and judging from comments so far, it may be a common issue.
mine used to do it, ever since i passed the 15,000 mile mark though it doesnt really seem to happen anymore, or at least i have not heard it the last few times i've started up the AC from a cold start with the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.