Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been considering taking the resonator off of my 2014 versa s (manual tranny) to add a little more airflow and make it a little louder. Has anyone done this? Was your MPG/Power better or worse? How did it change the sound?
I’m not removing the cat or muffler for emissions and scavenging. But I do know that sometimes the cat, muffler, and resonator can add too much back pressure and taking a little out can help.

Also, what air filter do you recommend? I’ve heard the high flows let way too much dust in, but is there any major difference in fram/microguard and others?
Thanks all!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your car was tuned at the factory based on the expected back pressure and total air flow through the system. If you change a part of this then you may need to change other parts: ie: hotter or colder spark plugs, fuel flow rate, temp the engine runs at (coolant flow). There is a science to the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong …..it's fun to play with. That's what drag racers (or any car racers ) do all the time. But don't be to surprised if you do something and it actually makes the car run worse or get worse gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
You are just removing the resonator? No CAI or cat back?

Usually when you do stuff like that the guy said it is correct. You basically rob Peter to pay Paul. You move the power band around either raise, lower and reduce mpg.

Ive done it as in the end it makes the car more drivable. I removed the muffler to the hybrid I had and added the CAI from another model similar to it. It made the car pull to redline vs have a good midrange power, but no power down low or high. It seemed the engine liked to rev and the cvt liked to rev too so the power went to where it worked out best. Yes, lost a few mpg, but it was worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing