Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching the forums for how to remove the stock shift knob on our cars, I decided to post my experience with it, as there are no how-to's on the subject, and pictures make everything!! There are a couple threads where members suggest pulling up as it is a press fit but no one seemed to be successful, or at least never posted what happened. I could tell several people, including me, were still confused and worried they would do the wrong thing. After using all my might and fearing something else would break, I gave up. Today, I thought about using a certain strategy on the shifter and surprisingly, it worked! So here's what I did:

I decided I was going to twist the shifter side to side, little by little, to bend/loosen up any plastic inside. As I came in for the first twist, it just suddenly clicked out of place (probably from me already messing with it before) and freaked me out :grin

I started twisting it around some more and got it more loose, so I finally put it in 2nd gear, got the right leverage and pulled up with everything I had and it just popped off! Way easier than I thought too :laugh:

So it turns out that the shifter rod is knurled at the tip...

As for the shifter...there is a plastic sleeve inside molded to the knurling, which is why it is extremely hard to just simply pull it off. I guess twisting it broke the plastic off of the rod and started getting ground down by the knurling.

I may have cracked the sleeve...but it still pops back on and stays in place :grin

I plan on making a flat top wooden "dildo" shift knob out of a dowel from homedepot :laugh: and am excited now as I finally got the shifter off :smile :smile

Now, I don't know how clean anyone else's shift knob will come off (so do it at your own risk!), but I hope this helps anyone who does want to try and clears up any confusion, especially about what's holding the shift knob down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was quite disappointed when I discovered that it was knurled instead of threaded. Fortunately, the Razo knob I went with for now has plastic inserts so my install was still pretty drama-free, but... I'm probably going to have to buy a new shift rod from Nissan, take the sumbich to a machine shop and have it threaded - maybe even extended a few inches - so I can fit the shifter I eventually want.

Also, congrats on joining 5MT NATION. There ain't many of us since Nissan doesn't think that enthusiasts want a decently equipped car. :\

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some adapters with a thread on them for the euro cars as they have press fit shifter rods as well, they might fit our cars as well in case that's too much trouble :)

Thanks! Seriously, it kinda sucks that the MT models are only the base models, with roll up windows! xD but hey, they definitely come in handy when the car is off aha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Djentleman_-
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing