Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2015 Nissan versa with 205,000 miles on it (mostly freeway miles). Barring a fan replacement about 2 weeks ago I hadn't had any issues with the car, and nothing that should result in a no crank situation. At no point had I noticed grinding, slowing down or dead sports in the starter motor.
Earlier this week the car started as normal, 1-2 cranks/nearly immediately, asked it and when I came back the car was playing dead. When you turn the key all accessories come on as normal (radio, dash, lights, etc.) but when you turn the key I can hear one click and that's it. (I believe it's some solenoid making the click since no accessory belts move each time I try to crank the car).
When the car broke down, I had AAA came out since I has assumed that it was just a dead battery. AAA tested the battery and no luck. They said the battery, which had been replaced only last year, was at 90% heath and had more than enough charge to start the car.
This morning I took some time to go through all starter/ignition related fuses and none of them came up bad and I made sure to properly seat them. I also sanded and cleaned the main ground from the engine to the radiator core support since my understanding is it can cause no start problems from time to time, to no avail.
Barring a starter does anyone have any idea what this might be? I'm going to grab a multimeter so I can make sure that the starter is getting power tomorrow, and make sure that AAA didn't mess up, and call a bad battery good.
Please tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a starter typically slow down/exhibit grinding noises instead of going from perfectly fine to completely locked up?

Thank you so much for taking to time to read, help with this would be greatly appreciated,

Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank guys so much for responding. After checking everything over again and cleaning off the battery terminals etc still not crank. I did end up beating on the starter for a few minutes and it did crank over, so I think it's safe to assume that the starter did just die with no warning. It did start a few times before sounding weak and going back to a no crank situation.
Thank you again for everyone's help, does anyone know where I might be able to find some good documentation on the installation process? I found one video on a 2015 note, but I'd love to see another guide just to double check everything.

Thanks again,

Jack

·
Registered
100 Posts
If AAA said, "Your battery has 90% 'health'," then that guy has no idea wtf he is talking about. A battery should be 12.6~ volts minimum when the car is off. 12.2 volts is weak, and 12 volts isn't enough to start a car. Typically. It's not measured in percentage of health....whatever that means.

But 12V is still plenty of power to run lights and the radio.

If it makes, "1 click," I'll bet $50 the battery is shot.

Otherwise, your options are the ignition, faulty wiring, or the starter. You can use a cheap volt meter to test all of these.

A starter won't necessarily show signs of going out before it does. BUT...if it just went out, you can typically tap it with a hammer (Don't wail on it....more of a motivational tapping) a few times and get the car to crank.

Or your engine is seized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If AAA said, "Your battery has 90% 'health'," then that guy has no idea wtf he is talking about. A battery should be 12.6~ volts minimum when the car is off. 12.2 volts is weak, and 12 volts isn't enough to start a car. Typically. It's not measured in percentage of health....whatever that means.

But 12V is still plenty of power to run lights and the radio.

If it makes, "1 click," I'll bet $50 the battery is shot.

Otherwise, your options are the ignition, faulty wiring, or the starter. You can use a cheap volt meter to test all of these.

A starter won't necessarily show signs of going out before it does. BUT...if it just went out, you can typically tap it with a hammer (Don't wail on it....more of a motivational tapping) a few times and get the car to crank.

Or your engine is seized.
Tank you so much for the help. Yesterday I gave the starter a few love taps and the car started fine (not slow or anything), a few starts later it was dead again. I picked up a starter off a car with 6k miles and hopefully should have it changed next weekend

1 - 6 of 6 Posts