Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My right rear wheel bearing seems to be making a good hum when I get above 30 mph or so.

I have 45000 miles, mostly highway.

I would like to replace it myself, but cant tell if it is a simple task and just requires replacement of a hub assembly or if the bearing is pressed in somehow and if a press is required.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the 2015 rear wheel bearing? I'm having trouble finding much...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like a job for @Johncrxsi :grin I suppose he isn't needing to replace the wheel bearings on his anytime soon but I know he bought the haynes book so if you ask nicely maybe he will look it up for you and find out if they are pressed in bearings or not.

Shouldn't you still have factory warranty to cover it at this point?

Also my two cents, a press is nice but its usually possible to change press-in bearings without one if you are determined, they make special tools for hardheads like me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016W4LHZ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a press but sometimes prefer to use that kit above like I did last winter on the girlfriend's brother's saturn SC1 front wheel bearing. No potential for loss of alignment if you never take the knuckle off the car :wink

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, turns out the bearing is covered under the powertrain warranty until 60000!

I'm glad I found that out before going through the job myself!

Took it in to the dealer, it was the bearing. They are replacing on their dime. Best kind of repair there is!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced a left rear wheel bearing on my 2014 Versa with 91000 miles. The dealer wanted almost 600.00 to replace it but I checked out a YouTube video that made the job look simple and it was. My buddy had a press in the garage so that made wheel bearing removal from the hub easy. The hardest part of the job was breaking loose the wheel bearing nut. Extracting the lock ring was also difficult and dangerous - I finally got it out of the groove and it flew right past my face!

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Need to be sure you use the correct bearing, the difference being typically the price. There are roughly $25 and $50 bearings and the more expensive are the ones to use. The cheaper ones are typically the ones that fail in a year or so. The balls and races are not as hardened to save cost.

Virtually every 'house' brand bearing is the cheaper one.

I use the more expensive ones, the only time I cheaped out the bearing failed instantly and removed it proved to have ZERO grease inside it. Thank you China. I have never failed a more expensive one and many years on every one used.

Don't change the others, they may easily last many years longer than your failed one.

I press all my own in as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For sure on the replacement bearings. The cheap ones could last 6 months or 6yrs. That's the problem with lots of shops. If their only fast parts availability is Napa or the likes, you really don't know where the bearing came from.

That's awesome that the OP got it replaced under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. Wheel bearings aren't always covered under that.

The way I see the 2013+ Versa rear brakes, I'd probably get a new drum, new lug studs and a new bearing if either the drum or bearing needs replaced.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Don't put it past OEM dealers to do the exact same thing in today's world of 'truth is not truth'. When I did parts around '10 we had lots of dealer clients that wanted those rapid access parts even if they were cheaper, they relied heavily on the lifetime warranty at the time and they were perfectly content to let the customers think those parts used were OEM parts so that they could charge the much bigger official dealer repair numbers there.

It ain't right but this is Texas, all business people do stuff like that, you ain't American if you aren't doing it. It's buyer beware on everything here, the state backs big business to the loss of the average guy so much it makes you sick.

Take the 'wall' thing. Texas b-tches the most about it ALL the time but pull up a map of the actual border walls built at the southern perimeter and get surprised to find out the same Republicans that b-tch so much about having a border there are the same ones that do NOT want Texas to pay for it as it would up THEIR taxes. Texas has like 9/10ths of all the total US border amount with zero wall at all. Oh, no, they want the FEDERAL government to pay 100% for any wall there and the same federal government they cry about violating 'states rights' all day long with stupid statements of seceding and the like. The j-ckasses that run this state still think they are in the early 1830s where they simply stole everything from the true owners and shot them if they complained about it.

As usual I digress..........you don't know where the bearing came from unless you pull it out of the box, maybe 30% of all bearings now have nothing to do with the box they end up in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts