Nissan Versa Forums banner

2015 Versa MT.. Gauges went out, then car shut off.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  2016 Versa 
#1 ·
The cars gauge cluster (the cheapo one with a huge speedo and small tach and 1" tall fuel gauge on the LCD screen) did not come on when I started it this morning. The only thing in the cluster that works is the turning signals, high beam light, and door chimer. The car still moved so I figured id still drive it to work and check it out when i got home. A mile down the road it went into a kind of limp mode, would only go about 10 mph in any gear but tried to get it back home. After about 5 minutes of this it just quit and would not start. Now its acting like the battery is dead. I just bought the car a few months ago and I love it for its simplicity and its manual transmission, also it only has 109k miles.

Should I just bite the bullet and take it to the local dealer for diagnostic ($110)? Ive checked all the fuses they all are unblown. A bit of digging here and on other sites suggests the BCM may be at fault? Any help is much appreciated.

#2 ·
The gauges going out then dying sounds like the battery is dead. It's possible you got a hold of a bad battery or there could be a problem with the charging system. I'd try charging the battery, if it takes a charge then take the car to an auto parts store for a free charging system check. Just be sure the parts store isn't far enough away that the battery goes flat again before you get back home. Did the car run rough prior to dying this is often a sign of a very low battery on these newer cars with computers.

#3 ·
It roughens then smooths out on and off until finally dying. The gauges also kind of chatter when its cutting out and right after it cuts out. The radio also shuts off during this time, but when the key is switched off and back on the radio comes back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.