Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my Versa less than a month ago, and it has less than 500 miles on the clock. Today I washed and detailed the car for the first time since purchasing. I found four small pin-head sized rust spots down the passenger side of the body; Two on the rear quarter, one on the rear door sill, and one on the front door sill. I also found some "bubble" type imperfections underneath the paint at the base of the B-pillar.

Does anyone else have any experience with rust on a brand new Nissan? What does Nissan do to take care of this sort of issue? I plan to call my dealer on Monday and would like to get an idea of what to expect from them.

Here are photos of the rust and "bubbles" in my paint.
Furthest back, above the tail light. The paint is bubbled around this one:

A few inches forward from the tail light:

Rear door sill:

Front door sill:

At the base of the B-pillar. This area isn't showing any rust, the paint is just bubbled:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a 2012 sedan that the paint was pealing. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it. I don't think that they will give you any problems. Just make sure the give you a loaner car as well. Good luck..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2012 sedan that the paint was pealing. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it. I don't think that they will give you any problems. Just make sure the give you a loaner car as well. Good luck..
What did they do to repair the paint?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My hood has them
Have you taken yours in?

I called my dealer and asked how they would handle the repairs. The Service Manager says they usually fix these small spots before delivering the car, but they do get missed sometimes. Apparently they use a chemical product that pulls ferrous metals out of the paint and makes them water soluble. If that works, they buff/polish/wax the treated area and return the car. If it doesn't work, they send your car to a body shop for repaint, but that's less likely to happen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That stinks, we got a nasty stone chip on the hood of our 14 Note, 1mm circle to bare metal. It had started to rust by the time touch up paint arrived in the mail. I had to sand and prime before doing color. The paint seems to be pretty thin.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked with my dealer about the rust spots. The Service Manager informed that these tiny spots are typical of new Nissans, and the dealership is tasked with finding them and removing them prior to delivery to the buyer. They can usually remove them with a product called IronX, as the spots are most often just pieces of ferrous metal in the paint, and not the actual car sheet-metal itself.

The Service Manager says the spots on my car are most likely easily removed with IronX, and he was willing to schedule me in to have it taken care of, but I'd have to sit in the service center and wait for them to do it.

I decided to try and save myself the two hour round trip, and ordered a bottle of IronX paste, as well as some genuine Nissan QM1 touch up paint. I'll try it out on the rear door sill, since that spot is hidden from view. If it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I'll make time to take the car in. I'll post pictures of my results here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That stinks, we got a nasty stone chip on the hood of our 14 Note, 1mm circle to bare metal. It had started to rust by the time touch up paint arrived in the mail. I had to sand and prime before doing color. The paint seems to be pretty thin.
Got a nasty stone scratch on my passenger side headlamp the 2nd day we owned it.... Not even a film would have saved it. :frown

BUT, what are we expecting here, it IS the cheapest car you can buy. NOT surprised.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the IronX works like a charm. Three of the four spots I was able to use IronX to pull the rust out of the paint, then wax the affected area. One spot required a tiny amount of touch up paint.
Here you can see the product doing it's business. The IronX is clear, but when it touches rust, it turns purple.

Leave it on for five minutes, rinse with water, and apply a coat of wax:

The stuff has a strong sulfur smell, so definitely do this in a well ventilated area. I picked mine up on Amazon for $11.45 with Prime.
Amazon.com: IronX Paste 150 g.: Automotive

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a pic of the front door sill in my phone too. This is after IronX and wax.

Reactions: Peacock Power
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.