Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are correct. You need the Navigation radio (your 3rd picture) to do bluetooth streaming. But the Navigation radio you posted looks like it's from a Sentra, it might not fit in a Versa. Look online for a second hand unit. It should look like this:

http://www.autosavant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/versa-note-004.jpg

You also might have to upgrade the bluetooth module which is mounted in the right side of the cargo/trunk area.

I had the exact radio in your first picture. I swapped it out for the radio in your second picture. It wasn't a total plug-and-play job. The gray AM/FM antenna and white main connector harnesses on the back of the new radio are plug-n-play. But you also have to map 7 wires from the 16 pin connector harness to a new 32 pin connector. If you want the 3 extra cameras on the navigation radio for the birds-eye view, that's even more work.

Download the AV section of the versa note factory service manual for reference.

good luck
Thanks so much for the quick reply. What about the XM radio antenna?

·
Registered
17 Posts
XM radio antenna? You have to buy one and run from the back of the radio, under the side trim panels that hold down the carpet, to the back of the car, under the tail gate molding, to the top of the tailgate. The magnetic antennas work good. I ran into a problem finding one that would connect to the Nissan radio. So I gave up on the XM thing.

The toughest part was getting the bluetooth steering wheel control buttons to work (which I never figured out). Since the Base model and the SV used different radios, they also used different bluetooth modules.

But the other steering wheel buttons worked...track up, track down, and source worked fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
XM radio antenna? You have to buy one and run from the back of the radio, under the side trim panels that hold down the carpet, to the back of the car, under the tail gate molding, to the top of the tailgate. The magnetic antennas work good. I ran into a problem finding one that would connect to the Nissan radio. So I gave up on the XM thing.

The toughest part was getting the bluetooth steering wheel control buttons to work (which I never figured out). Since the Base model and the SV used different radios, they also used different bluetooth modules.

But the other steering wheel buttons worked...track up, track down, and source worked fine.
I figured out how to get the Bluetooth steering wheel buttons to work. You have to bypass some pins from the 32-pin harness that connects to the separate Bluetooth module.

·
Registered
216 Posts
tomiga said:
I figured out how to get the Bluetooth steering wheel buttons to work. You have to bypass some pins from the 32-pin harness that connects to the separate Bluetooth module.
Nice work! Don't suppose you took any pictures or did any documentation that could be used to help others down the road? We get a lot of people asking about this swap, would be nice if somebody finally put together a definitive guide (hint hint :p)

Won't be me, I'll mod and run the stock radio till it quits!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This write up has been an excellent source of information for me for the future. Thanks to all whom has gone to the leg work to make it happen.

I have an issue that may be or may not be closely related to the topic. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
2011 Versa SL hachback. Just bought it used. Some of the steering wheel buttons on the left side of the wheel don't operate but the rest of the left side and all of the right side of the wheel does.
The volume up, hands free phone option, and the channel up (slidebar above the hands free button) does not operate.
I replaced the 2 piece button control set on the wheel thinking that that was the problem, but no fix.. issue still remains. Now I think it's the flat ribbon cable that's in the clockspring component. I just stumbled upon the versa tech pages while reading these posts, so I haven't had time to troubleshoot all of the wire harnesses yet. I figured it's a smashed wire in the clock spring. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread though because I'd like to upgrade the radio to add the streaming audio and what entails to make it happen is far more involved than just a radio swap. I'm going to hold off on the clockspring until I can definitely have time to troubleshoot with the tech guides, but figured I'd ask here while we were all talking about the same area.

Thanks !

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are correct. You need the Navigation radio (your 3rd picture) to do bluetooth streaming. But the Navigation radio you posted looks like it's from a Sentra, it might not fit in a Versa. Look online for a second hand unit. It should look like this:

http://www.autosavant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/versa-note-004.jpg

You also might have to upgrade the bluetooth module which is mounted in the right side of the cargo/trunk area.

I had the exact radio in your first picture. I swapped it out for the radio in your second picture. It wasn't a total plug-and-play job. The gray AM/FM antenna and white main connector harnesses on the back of the new radio are plug-n-play. But you also have to map 7 wires from the 16 pin connector harness to a new 32 pin connector. If you want the 3 extra cameras on the navigation radio for the birds-eye view, that's even more work.

Download the AV section of the versa note factory service manual for reference.

good luck
What about the USB/AUX Port? I may just get the one w/o NAV (28185-3WC0A) and connect an aftermarket USB/AUX port. It appears to be cheaper than the Navigation one (25915-9JE0A).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice work! Don't suppose you took any pictures or did any documentation that could be used to help others down the road? We get a lot of people asking about this swap, would be nice if somebody finally put together a definitive guide (hint hint :p)

Won't be me, I'll mod and run the stock radio till it quits!
I'll consider making a definitive guide once I'm completely done integrating this new head unit completely. For now though, here's the part for the steering wheel controls. Note that you have to find the Bluetooth module (in the 2016 Versa sedan it was in the trunk), disconnect the 32-pin harness and perform this rewiring:

Once you're done, you should keep it disconnected and secure it somewhere safe (although I don't think reconnecting it will do much harm, but it's not recommended). There are two more parts that I have yet to perform, in order to get the microphone and the AUX in to work, and the optional step of getting the XM antenna connected. If you're just looking to get Bluetooth Streaming Audio working, you don't necessarily have to hook up the microphone, you can use manual options and the Bluetooth steering wheel control buttons to pair your phone (that's what I did for now).

Also, do keep in mind that the radio swap I did is from a Versa SV unit to a Sentra SV unit (color display, no navigation), it may be different on the Versa S/S Plus or if you're using a different head unit.

ALSO IMPORTANT: The radio that I bought has Bluetooth built into the head unit. I did not have to buy a new Bluetooth module. I just disconnected the old one in the trunk! This is the whole reason why you have to do the majority of this rewiring!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll consider making a definitive guide once I'm completely done integrating this new head unit completely. For now though, here's the part for the steering wheel controls. Note that you have to find the Bluetooth module (in the 2016 Versa sedan it was in the trunk), disconnect the 32-pin harness and perform this rewiring:

Once you're done, you should keep it disconnected and secure it somewhere safe (although I don't think reconnecting it will do much harm, but it's not recommended). There are two more parts that I have yet to perform, in order to get the microphone and the AUX in to work, and the optional step of getting the XM antenna connected. If you're just looking to get Bluetooth Streaming Audio working, you don't necessarily have to hook up the microphone, you can use manual options and the Bluetooth steering wheel control buttons to pair your phone (that's what I did for now).

Also, do keep in mind that the radio swap I did is from a Versa SV unit to a Sentra SV unit (color display, no navigation), it may be different on the Versa S/S Plus or if you're using a different head unit.

ALSO IMPORTANT: The radio that I bought has Bluetooth built into the head unit. I did not have to buy a new Bluetooth module. I just disconnected the old one in the trunk! This is the whole reason why you have to do the majority of this rewiring!
Do you have the model head unit you used? I am looking for the least amount of workaround work. And I am also very interested in the antenna. I would assume you could use an aftermarket antenna with some sort of converter cable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have the model head unit you used? I am looking for the least amount of workaround work. And I am also very interested in the antenna. I would assume you could use an aftermarket antenna with some sort of converter cable?
The part number is 28185-9MB0A. It looks like this:

As far as the XM antenna goes, I've got no idea yet. Haven't touched on that bit yet.

Oh, another thing I forgot to point out: it does support a backup camera, but if you don't have one installed, it just doesn't have that functionality. I might do that later on too, if I get the right parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts

As far as the XM antenna goes, I've got no idea yet. Haven't touched on that bit yet.

Oh, another thing I forgot to point out: it does support a backup camera, but if you don't have one installed, it just doesn't have that functionality. I might do that later on too, if I get the right parts.
Narrowing the XM Radio antenna down. It looks like you will need a Female FAKRA to Female SMB in order to connect the antenna.

The next thing I need to figure out is what antenna I would need. A little confused between the full tuner SiriusXM SXV300 and just the antenna SiriusXM NGVA3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have installed the same unit on my Versa15. I have previously installed a backup plus dash cam with the rearview mirror, so I don't have a need for camera functionality. I am yet to connect the mic and aux on it, which I hope to get done this weekend.

Found something interesting about the apps functionality. I have been able to use the NissanConnect app by registering with a fake VIN number on the Nissan website. Very funny !!! I have found a Sentra16 VIN from here, https://vingenerator.org/brand
I don't see much use of this functionality, other than using Pandora sometimes. But it's one more thing that works, which is good to know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Narrowing the XM Radio antenna down. It looks like you will need a Female FAKRA to Female SMB in order to connect the antenna.

The next thing I need to figure out is what antenna I would need. A little confused between the full tuner SiriusXM SXV300 and just the antenna SiriusXM NGVA3.
After reading some more, since the 28185-3WC0A already has the tuner portion, you will only need the antenna. Now the next part is figuring out what I need to buy in order for the steering wheel controls to work. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have installed the same unit on my Versa15. I have previously installed a backup plus dash cam with the rearview mirror, so I don't have a need for camera functionality. I am yet to connect the mic and aux on it, which I hope to get done this weekend.

Found something interesting about the apps functionality. I have been able to use the NissanConnect app by registering with a fake VIN number on the Nissan website. Very funny !!! I have found a Sentra16 VIN from here, https://vingenerator.org/brand
I don't see much use of this functionality, other than using Pandora sometimes. But it's one more thing that works, which is good to know.
Huh, interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever have any use for NissanConnect, but I really don't at the moment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK I think I am finish compiling the list of parts need to accomplish Basic Radio to Display Audio with XM and USB:

1. OEM Display Audio Radio (28185-3WC0A) - eBay - ~$70 - 80
  2. Female FAKRA to Female SMB - Amazon - $10
  3. SiriusXM NGVA3 - Amazon - $20
  4. AXXESS AX-NIS-ADDCAM1 32-pin Connector - eBay - $13
  5. USB Interface - eBay - $9
Total: ~$125

I think I will need an extender for the USB Interface, but I don't really know where I am going to run that cable.

If there is something else I missed please let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK I think I am finish compiling the list of parts need to accomplish Basic Radio to Display Audio with XM and USB:

2. Female FAKRA to Female SMB - Amazon - $10
  3. SiriusXM NGVA3 - Amazon - $20
  4. AXXESS AX-NIS-ADDCAM1 32-pin Connector - eBay - $13
  5. USB Interface - eBay - $9
Total: ~$125

I think I will need an extender for the USB Interface, but I don't really know where I am going to run that cable.

If there is something else I missed please let me know.
It'll probably work, but why are you using an older head unit? What year is your car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2015 Versa SV.. Radio upgrade to 28185-9MB0A
Just to let you guys know that I have been able to make the Mic and Aux to work. The aux was easy, had to transfer 4 wires from the 32 pin connector to the 8 pin connector. The mic was cubersome, I basically had to draw a wire from the back bluetooth unit to front. That makes everything except the xm radio working (It should be just a matter of connecting an antenna, but I don't need it)
Thanks to everyone for the help, special thanks to @tomiga for the tips on getting the steering wheel control to work. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been reading through this thread as it seems to be the only on on the forum that references the non-NAV BT radio we have in our 2016 Note.
My question here is, has anyone found a site where they were able to make the radio load different apps vs the crummy ones you're offered?
Basically, what i'm looking for with the radio is the ability to interact in the CarPlay mode. I believe the upper modes from Nissan have this, radios are basically the same, but they've crippled the software on our radio to keep from doing this. I'm just looking at a way of expanding the capabilities of the radio to what it should have.
And yes, I'm not impartial to "jail-breaking" this radio, it still under warranty... If it breaks, I'll take it back to the stealership and get it fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
  2. Terk XMicro 2 XM Radio Micro Car Antenna Custom - SRS - $20
  3. AXXESS AX-NIS-ADDCAM1 32-pin Connector - eBay - $13
Here is what I ended up purchasing and getting installed.

The ONLY issue I have is that the Bluetooth Phone doesn't work. Pressing the buttons on the steering wheel doesn't prompt anything. Any ideas why? I got this installed, so I'm not sure how it was wired, but figured I would see if anyone has any ideas. I left the stock Bluetooth Module installed and this is non-NAV model Radio. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You don't mention it ....but did you try the bluetooth prior to installing the radio? It should be pretty easy to put a meter on the wires coming from the steering wheel switch and see if it is working. I guess what I'm wondering is 'was the radio on Ebay because the bluetooth module wasn't working'.

Hope you get it working. Might not be for you but bluetooth is 'to me' the best part of the whole system.

Alan

21 - 40 of 61 Posts