Nissan Versa Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't mention it ....but did you try the bluetooth prior to installing the radio? It should be pretty easy to put a meter on the wires coming from the steering wheel switch and see if it is working. I guess what I'm wondering is 'was the radio on Ebay because the bluetooth module wasn't working'.

Hope you get it working. Might not be for you but bluetooth is 'to me' the best part of the whole system.

Alan
It was working on the Base Radio. I have a Bluetooth Adapter that plugs into the AUX port, so it's not that big of a deal, but just wanted to keep everything OEM working.

Since the original was only 16-pins and the new one is a 32-pin connector. Was there something that needed to be spliced differently? This post mentions a different module needs to be purchased, but doesn't say which one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you still on this? I did a similar upgrade on my Versa15.
What I had to do was to short 3 pins in the bluetooth unit that was in the back trunk in my case. Yours sound like a similar case. Read back a few pages in this thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you still on this? I did a similar upgrade on my Versa15.
What I had to do was to short 3 pins in the bluetooth unit that was in the back trunk in my case. Yours sound like a similar case. Read back a few pages in this thread.
I think that may help? Could you explain a little further as to what you did?

I upgraded from the Base Audio version to the OEM Display Audio Radio (28185-3WC0A). I didn't change the Bluetooth unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that may help? Could you explain a little further as to what you did?

I upgraded from the Base Audio version to the OEM Display Audio Radio (28185-3WC0A). I didn't change the Bluetooth unit.
What I did was this.. http://www.nissanversaforums.com/255722-post27.html

The thing is that your upgrade unit has already bluetooth built in. So you don't need the bluetooth unit that is in the trunk. So, when you press a button in the steering wheel control, the signal is sent to the back unit not your Audio unit. Shorting those cables, returns the signals back to the Audio unit. You really need to read back all the previous posts in this thread. The pin diagram on your unit may or may not be the same.
These shorting would make the buttons work, but the mic will still be non-functional. The mic signal is also with BT unit, for that to work you have to draw couple wires from the back unit, and feed them to the mic input of the audio units.
You will find the service manuals here. Nissan Factory Service Manuals

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I did was this.. http://www.nissanversaforums.com/255722-post27.html

The thing is that your upgrade unit has already bluetooth built in. So you don't need the bluetooth unit that is in the trunk. So, when you press a button in the steering wheel control, the signal is sent to the back unit not your Audio unit. Shorting those cables, returns the signals back to the Audio unit. You really need to read back all the previous posts in this thread. The pin diagram on your unit may or may not be the same.
These shorting would make the buttons work, but the mic will still be non-functional. The mic signal is also with BT unit, for that to work you have to draw couple wires from the back unit, and feed them to the mic input of the audio units.
You will find the service manuals here. Nissan Factory Service Manuals
That one only works if you got the 28185-9MB0A which contains the Bluetooth Phone and Media.

I have the 28185-3WC0A which is only Bluetooth Phone and it still has to go back to the Bluetooth Unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That one only works if you got the 28185-9MB0A which contains the Bluetooth Phone and Media.

I have the 28185-3WC0A which is only Bluetooth Phone and it still has to go back to the Bluetooth Unit.
In that case, it should be an even easier fix for your unit. You need to check the service manuals for your car (the AV section), and the service manual for the model where this 28185-3WC0A unit came from. The right signals should be there, but Nissan may have moved them around a bit. So, you will have to move those cables.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In that case, it should be an even easier fix for your unit. You need to check the service manuals for your car (the AV section), and the service manual for the model where this 28185-3WC0A unit came from. The right signals should be there, but Nissan may have moved them around a bit. So, you will have to move those cables.
The 28185-3WC0A came from the 2014 Nissan Versa Note. It was the upgraded model from the Base Audio version. I found the AV manual and it looks like it uses the same Bluetooth Control Unit. Any tips? I took this into a shop to do it and they weren't able to figure it out.

Here is the AV manual for the Base Audio and Display Audio (28185-3WC0A): Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got done swapping a radio from a 2015 Sentra with display audio into my 2015 Versa SV sedan. Everything works. In the end, I kinda wish I'd just gone to best but and bought an aftermarket nav head unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 28185-3WC0A came from the 2014 Nissan Versa Note. It was the upgraded model from the Base Audio version. I found the AV manual and it looks like it uses the same Bluetooth Control Unit. Any tips? I took this into a shop to do it and they weren't able to figure it out.

Here is the AV manual for the Base Audio and Display Audio (28185-3WC0A): Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club
I finally had some time today to look into your situation here. The difference between the Base Audio and Display Audio (28185-3WC0A) is the 16pin vs the 32 pin connector. The other connectors are common. You have to splice the 16 pin connector wires in your dash. Purchase a 32 pin harness from ebay, like this link. Splice that too. NEW AXXESS AX-NIS-ADDCAM1 NISSAN BACK-UP CAMERA ADD-ON HARNESS | eBay

You gotta basically compare the pin diagram in page 19 and 78 of the manual. Pin 1 to 20 are the same. Then look for common pin description from the next one.

From what it looks like.

Base Audio Pin - Display Audio Pin
31,32 - 24,25
30 - 26
22, 24 - 46, 48
27,28 - 31,32

I believe this should get your unit fully working. Don't take my word for it. Verify the pin diagram yourself. I believe you can add a back camera too, if you are interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Colonel Clink, i see you are the Master of knowledge in here!

I want to ask, Cyberuffy started the forum by saying after he installed the updated OEM Radio, his mic connection and streering will voice/phone command was not working. Now i have a Sentra and i just installed the unit in sublimesed pic #3 and got the same exact issue. Now with what you stated with the Bluetooth Module im already searching to order the sophisticated module. once i install that, will i need to do anything else to get the bt functionality working?

Thanks Colonel Clink

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are correct. You need the Navigation radio (your 3rd picture) to do bluetooth streaming. But the Navigation radio you posted looks like it's from a Sentra, it might not fit in a Versa. Look online for a second hand unit. It should look like this:

http://www.autosavant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/versa-note-004.jpg

You also might have to upgrade the bluetooth module which is mounted in the right side of the cargo/trunk area.

I had the exact radio in your first picture. I swapped it out for the radio in your second picture. It wasn't a total plug-and-play job. The gray AM/FM antenna and white main connector harnesses on the back of the new radio are plug-n-play. But you also have to map 7 wires from the 16 pin connector harness to a new 32 pin connector. If you want the 3 extra cameras on the navigation radio for the birds-eye view, that's even more work.

Download the AV section of the versa note factory service manual for reference.

good luck
Hi Colonel Clink, i see you are the Master of knowledge in here!

I want to ask, Cyberuffy started the forum by saying after he installed the updated OEM Radio, his mic connection and streering will voice/phone command was not working. Now i have a Sentra and i just installed the unit in sublimesed pic #3 and got the same exact issue. Now with what you stated with the Bluetooth Module im already searching to order the sophisticated module. once i install that, will i need to do anything else to get the bt functionality working?

Thanks Colonel Clink

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading this thread, it seems the swap is more difficult than I thought it would be. If I bought a unit at best buy and had them install it, would they have trouble as well? I have a 2015 Note with the basic radio. I'd like navigation, retain steering wheel control. Funny thing is my basic radio gives me access to my phone book . no music from Bluetooth, just phone functions. I have an SXM radio in the aux jack already. Navigation, more power and subwoofer control are my wishes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2015 Versa SV.. Radio upgrade to 28185-9MB0A
Just to let you guys know that I have been able to make the Mic and Aux to work. The aux was easy, had to transfer 4 wires from the 32 pin connector to the 8 pin connector. The mic was cubersome, I basically had to draw a wire from the back bluetooth unit to front. That makes everything except the xm radio working (It should be just a matter of connecting an antenna, but I don't need it)
Thanks to everyone for the help, special thanks to @tomiga for the tips on getting the steering wheel control to work. :)
Where'd you get the 8 pin connector for the aux? Also, did you use a wiring harness for the 32-pin connector? I've been meaning to find these things so that I can finally get this radio conversion complete. I still need the Aux, Mic and XM antenna hooked up on mine. Then I'll probably just remove the rear Bluetooth unit and sell it and the old standard SV radio since I won't need both of them anymore.

Glad I could be of help for the steering wheel controls though! Even without the working aux/mic, my car still feels like a higher-end car. :grin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Nissan Versa sv sedan, which comes with a basic radio. I just ordered a radio that came off a 2015 Nissan Sentra ( w/ navigation, Bluetooth, etc). Product number 25915-9JE0A. I?ve read this forum several times & I am still not sure what are all the things I need. Could someone please list the items I would need to buy & maybe some procedures? I will either be taking it to a shop to get it installed or my dad, who?s very good with cars, will install it for me.

I know a lot of you have already written answers above, but could you specify the items for my model? I will post pictures of my current radio & the one I bought soon.

I?m obviously not well-versed with cars so I appreciate anyone who tries to help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Nissan Versa sv sedan, which comes with a basic radio. I just ordered a radio that came off a 2015 Nissan Sentra ( w/ navigation, Bluetooth, etc). Product number 25915-9JE0A. I?ve read this forum several times & I am still not sure what are all the things I need. Could someone please list the items I would need to buy & maybe some procedures? I will either be taking it to a shop to get it installed or my dad, who?s very good with cars, will install it for me.

I know a lot of you have already written answers above, but could you specify the items for my model? I will post pictures of my current radio & the one I bought soon.

I?m obviously not well-versed with cars so I appreciate anyone who tries to help!
You're not alone. I'm a computer (IT) guy, not a car guy! Though, I do love my Versa.

The Navigation radio looks quite different. It looks like you'll need to get a different wiring harness, as the connectors look different. The Navigation stereo looks like it has a 24-pin connector instead of the 32-pin connector. You'll also need to hook up an antenna in order to get the GPS to work, on top of another antenna for XM if you want either one of those to work. To get the steering wheel controls to work, you'll have to do the Bluetooth module bypass that I posted several pages back, since both the Display and Navigation radio units have their own built-in Bluetooth.

As for the Microphone, you'll need to run wires from the Bluetooth unit in the trunk to the new stereo unit. I haven't done this yet myself, but want to soon.

The backup camera is pretty tricky, and I haven't even bothered to do anything regarding it with my non-navigation Display system. On top of the actual camera itself, you'll likely need some way to generate a backup signal for the camera to come on, a wiring harness to connect the camera to the stereo, and a few other things that I can't really think of right now.

I'd recommend having your dad (or the shop you take it to) look at the wiring diagrams on the AV service manual for both the '15 Sentra and the '16 Versa to see what goes where. You can find them on NicoClub.

Hopefully this is at least somewhat helpful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
To the best of my knowledge...

The radio in your second picture is the one in our '14 Note SL. It has support for bluetooth for phone calls only, and not for audio. It uses a bluetooth module in the trunk.

The radio in your third picture is the one in our '15 Note SR. It has support for bluetooth phone calls and audio built-in to the radio. (No external bluetooth module). It does not have nav.

·
Registered
96 Posts
August 7, 2018

I have a 2015 Versa SV with the Mid Level Audio head unit. I have upgraded to a 2016 Sentra Display Color Audio head unit 28185-4AF1A.
The 2014 Base Audio wiring diagrams are incorrect for my application. The 2015 Mid Level has a white 32 pin connector and a white 20 pin connector. The 2016 Display Color Audio also has the 32 pin and 20 pin. The 20 pin connectors are exactly the same, between the two, I have not moved any wires on the 20 pin.

The 32 pin connector on the Mid level contains the AUX input, the Bluetooth signals from external module and I think that's it.

The Display Color Audio 32 pin connector has the camera input in the terminals that the Mid Level used for the AUX, thus the Display Color Audio has moved the AUX input into a separate white 8 pin connector.

The Mid Level Audio's External Bluetooth module does send the Talk/HangUp signals to the head unit 32 pin connector. But the Display Color Audio head unit having its own Bluetooth does not communicate with the External Bluetooth module. Jumping the pins, as in connecting each corresponding pair together, at the External Bluetooth modules 32 pin (not the head units) connector. And leaving it unplugged, simply forwards those signals from the steering wheel to the head unit, bypassing the External Bluetooth module. There is an aftermarket jumper connector that will do this for you, PAC-BT-SWC-NI1. It's a female 32 pin connector that plugs onto the External Bluetooth modules 32 pin harness. It has 3 wire loops that connect the Talk/HangUp switch input to there corresponding output to headunit. If you have the Nissan wiring diagrams, these are labeled "Ladder Signals."

This jumper does not forward the Microphone signals. I noticed that the wires labeled "TEL VOICE -, TEL VOICE +, and TEL VOICE GND" coming from the External Bluetooth module and going to the head unit 32 pin connector, will also not be used by the Display Color Audio head unit. So I added 3 more loops to that PAC jumper to connect the Microphone inputs and use the TEL VOICE wires to carry the Mic signals to the head unit.

I ordered the AXXESS ADD A CAMERA 32 pin harness. It comes with all 32 pins filled with wires. I used a pick tool and back out 6 that were not going to be used and that's what I used to add those 3 loops to the PAC jumper for the Mic signals.

I backed the camera wire pins from the female end of the AXXESS harness. I added pin wires I removed from other not needed terminals in those spots and put the other ends into the white AUX input 8 pin connector. I'm creating total plug-n-play with the AXXESS harness due to still being under warranty. You can simply back the AUX pins out of the Versa Mid Level 32 pin connector and put them into the 8 pin.

I backed the "TEL VOICE" terminals out of the male end of the AXESS harness and pushed them into the correct Microphone input positions. That's also how I ended up with extra wired pin terminals, backing unnecessary wires out of the AXXESS in order to move the correct wire pin into that location.

The Display Color Audio head unit does not appear to use any of the TEL VOICE, or Communication or M Can-H, M Can-L signals. Terminals 21 through 32, 40 through 43, 45, 49, and 52 are not used by the Display Color Audio head unit.
Also terminals 44,46,47,48 all go to Ground.

The AUX input terminals go from the Mid Level Audio 32 pin over to the 8 pin connector as follows.
34 to 59
35 to 60
36 to 61
51 to 62

The Display Color Audio head unit is looking for the Mic signals as follows.
37 MIC +
38 MIC V(voice)+
39 MIC GND (Shield)

As mentioned, I reused the TEL VOICE wires coming from the External Bluetooth module to carry the Mic signals by adding 3 more jumper loops to the PAC BT SWC NI1 and then moving the corresponding TEL VOICE wire terminals in the head unit 32 pin connector to the correct 37,38,39. I used the TEL GND Shield for the MIC GND Shield hoping for less interference on the mic signal.

Anytime you see SHIELD labeled on a wiring diagram, it means that entire group of wires is wrapped in foil inside what looks like one large cable. Just like a cable tv coax line with the center wire and the foil outer wrapper. The idea is to stop RF interference. Some might benefit using RCA cables with this feature between head unit and amp. The shield goes to the chassis ground on the metal case at each end, head unit and amp. If the "Shield" is not grounded to the devices chassis ground, then any stray interference won't be carried away by the foil and killed so to speak. Lol

The Green camera wire on the AXXESS harness will connect to the +12V Reverse lamps signal. The black wire supplies a ground to the camera and the yellow supplies a +6.2V output for the factory camera. If installing an aftermarket camera, simply connect the cameras +12V input to the Reverse lamps positive in the hatch/trunk. Ground its black wire back there also. Then only run the RCA video cable up to the head unit. My camera RCA cable contained a red wire to carry the reverse lamps signal to the head unit that was very handy.
They cost a little more, but buy a camera that has a loop to cut to turn off its built in Guide Lines. The Display Color Audio head unit generates its own guide lines. I have a cheap China camera now and have double set of guide lines on the screen. I have a Sony camera ordered that has the loop to cut and a better low light camera than the cheap one. Avoid "Night Vision" cameras. The added light from the cars reverse lamps is too much. I had one on another car. Day or night all I saw was a washed out white screen. Dusk was the only time the damn thing worked. This Sony is supposedly Low Light but not Night Vision. My last car had one like it and night time was awesome and bright sunny day was just as good. I think it was auto brightness adjusting along with Low Light camera.

My aftermarket cameras harness has a switch to select normal or mirror image. I noticed the Display Color head unit does not flip or mirror the image. It shows it just as the camera sends it. So make sure the camera you purchase is fixed mirror image or selectable mirror image. Since we are trained to back a vehicle looking into a rear view mirror, the video image needs to display "mirrored" or else you'll be turning the wrong direction while backing. I have seen cameras on eBay without the mirror switch and some with.

My mind is drawing a blank now, if I think of more, I'll add it.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
August 7, 2018

The Bluetooth Streaming Audio is great. I'm so glad I did this upgrade. The up and down toggle on the steering wheel changes the song playing on my iPhone. And that's total Bluetooth, the USB doesn't recognize my iPhone as an iPod on ether the Mid Level or this Display Color Audio head unit. But does charge the phone. I can hold down the Talk switch to activate SIRI and tell her to play a particular song or start driving directions, etc.

Something I forgot. Not only the 20 pin is the same, but the USB and AM/FM antenna wire connectors are the same unchanged between Mid Level Audio and Display Color Audio. I found a new Nissan accessory add on XM antenna on eBay. They have the correct connector and have 3M adhesive trim tape to mount to the roof. Has a rubber trim to conceal the wire down under the hatch and gets routed under the hatch rubber seal. I'll attach a pic. I have one, but just found the factory AM/FM/XM Roof antenna. It hasn't been delivered yet. So not sure if I'll sell the Nissan accessory one or if I need to scavenge its wire with correct head unit connector to attach to the factory roof one.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 61 Posts