Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Versa S manual trans with 5755 miles on it. Last night while driving up the highway coming home from Dallas I got into stop and go traffic due to an accident. I was in the traffic for about 15 minutes. I have a scan gauge that showed the engine temp rising while I was stuck in traffic. Temp outside was only 52 degrees. But my engine temp kept rising up to 198 then back down to 182. 182 to 186 is normal for my car. It has never risen above 186 even in the 105 degree Texas heat. Anyway when I got past the accident and was able to get back up to highway speeds the temp went back down to 182.
When I got home I opened the engine hood to make sure the cooling fan was running. This is when I could hear the engine knocking. It's not valve tapping. I have heard that before in other engines. This is an actual engine knock. If I had to guess I would say maybe near cylinder #3 . But I am not a mechanic. My car only has 5755 miles on it. I am not rough on it at all. I have done the oil changes as scheduled and use the recommended 5W30 oil the manual calls for. This has been a good car up until now. I am going to take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I have read the forums and seen the reports of Versa engine failures. I always thought they were fake posts. But now I am wondering if there might be some truth to them. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
674 Posts
2016 Versa S manual trans with 5755 miles on it. Last night while driving up the highway coming home from Dallas I got into stop and go traffic due to an accident. I was in the traffic for about 15 minutes. I have a scan gauge that showed the engine temp rising while I was stuck in traffic. Temp outside was only 52 degrees. But my engine temp kept rising up to 198 then back down to 182. 182 to 186 is normal for my car. It has never risen above 186 even in the 105 degree Texas heat. Anyway when I got past the accident and was able to get back up to highway speeds the temp went back down to 182.
When I got home I opened the engine hood to make sure the cooling fan was running. This is when I could hear the engine knocking. It's not valve tapping. I have heard that before in other engines. This is an actual engine knock. If I had to guess I would say maybe near cylinder #3 . But I am not a mechanic. My car only has 5755 miles on it. I am not rough on it at all. I have done the oil changes as scheduled and use the recommended 5W30 oil the manual calls for. This has been a good car up until now. I am going to take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I have read the forums and seen the reports of Versa engine failures. I always thought they were fake posts. But now I am wondering if there might be some truth to them. Any thoughts or ideas?
Definitely take it back to the dealer and make sure your concerns are documented. My wife's 2009 vera sedan was purchased new, and at around 5000 miles the engine exhibited the same sound that yours has. Brought the car to the dealership, and the tech said it was nothing to worry about and it was an "impulse" sound from the fuel injector. I have rebuilt engines in the past, and I knew the sound was not an injector. From a cold start, the noise could be heard, but as the engine warmed up, the noise would diminish. As time went by, the noise became more pronounced especially when the engine was cold, and I determined that it was a "piston slap" that was getting worse. Just prior to the engine warranty expiring, I again brought the car back to the dealership in the dead of winter, and left it overnight so both the tech and I could do a cold start the next morning. There was no denying that the noise was a piston slap, and the fact that it was documented early on gave further weight to my opinion of the cause. The engine was replaced under warranty, and it turned out that it was the number 3 cylinder was the culprit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definitely sounds like piston slap to me. I came down with what feels like the flu overnight. I even had a flu shot this year. I will get it into the dealer as soon as I feel better. I also printed out all of the comments in the other posts about failed engines to hand to the service tech.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
The temp thing is the electric fan turning on and off. With the ac on the fan stays on more constant and leads to a more constant engine temp vs the raise and fall of 20 degrees from where the fan cycles off and on.

My engine has a popcorn sound and someone said that was sign of engine problems. I figure if it does it will get worse and Ill take it in before the 3 year 36 thousand mile warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last winter the engine temp never rose over 186. In fact this year it hasn't either until the other night when it went up to 198. I did notice that the cooling fan is not coming on unless I turn on the A/C. Then it comes on at any temp. Knocking has stopped and temps are back to not going over 186. Guess it will just be another thing I'll have to watch.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Thats interesting. Usually piston slap is temp sensitive and stone cold vs warm or warmed up. Other engine noises are constant and some that are clearance or oil psi related do not occur til the car warms up and the idle drops to its lowest point and oil thins as it warms up.

Dont forget the injectors make noises and now days with all this vtec and what not on both the intake and exhaust that also makes noises.

I had a 1988 dodge wagoneer I bought and made short trips. One day I drove from Richmond to VA Beach and stopped to fill up after 75 miles. I had a low oil psi light on, but once I started driving and engine revved up it went out. Long story short I replaced the oil pump with a high volume then replaced all bearings with new ones. To my disappointment I still had that problem. Finally went and adjusted the idle up. That solved the problem. :surprise

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This knocking is definitely a new sound and has not been with the engine over the past 1 and a half years that I've owned it. I can hear what I think are the injectors. It's faint and has been there since the day I bought the car. But this is a real knock. Sounds like metal on metal. It hasn't happened again and neither has the engine temp risen past normal. I definitely know what an engine knock sounds like. My brother had a 78 Firebird years ago that was knocking like crazy. He had to put a new engine in the car.
Maybe I'm paranoid. I have had the brake pedal go to the floor before twice when the A/C compressor kicked on. Both times while stopped in traffic at a red light. Never took the Versa to the dealer because the problems are so intermittent that I know they'd give the car back to me with no problem found on the work order. But with the reports of engines having to be replaced I am going to watch this car very closely. In fact I am leaving town later this week and I decided to fly instead of drive. I am afraid to drive my car out of town and get stranded.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Well, when the engine warms up oil gets thinner. As oil is used and it collects deposits and the additives are used up its weight drops.

How long has it been since you got an oil change?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, when the engine warms up oil gets thinner. As oil is used and it collects deposits and the additives are used up its weight drops.

How long has it been since you got an oil change?
I just changed it about a month ago. About 200 miles ago. Used the weight and quantity of oil that's recommended in the owner's manual. Drove the car again today and no knocking. Weird.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
My honda used 0w20 and when it got down to 20% on the maintenance minder to change the oil I started to get extra noises from the engine and started to notice fuel economy dropping. I changed my oil then vs waiting til it for to go lower.

Surprised this car takes regular 5w20 and they recommend changing it by the manual at 3750 miles. I assumed all cars this day and age were synthetic and yearly oil changes.

One of my rides was a supercharged toyota tacoma with the v6. It always had different noises. Went to the dealer and the 3rd time they said just wait for it to blow up as they dont know what the noises are and it would be wasted trying to find it.

I notice when I use 89 octane fuel the engine is quieter over all. You could add a few gallons to test the water to see if its fuel related.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My owners manual actually says the Versa takes 5w30. That's what I put in my car. Does yours say 5w20? I wonder if that's what caused the knocking? Well as for now my engine has stopped knocking. If it starts again it goes straight to the Nissan dealer.
I did go to a Valvoline oil change shop before I did my oil change myself. He wouldn't touch the car unless I paid $60 for a synthetic oil change. I argued with him and even showed him my manual that did not say the Versa requires synthetic oil. He still wanted me to pay for the synthetic oil change. I left and did it myself. The oil change on this car is way too easy to do. I wasn't going to let him rip me off. Only reason I went there in the first place was because it was 21 degrees outside.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I think thats a typo on my part. Ill have to recheck the owners manual.

I reviewed bob is the oil guy website and they claim Nissans like the yellow bottle of penzoil at that and non synthetic.

Good idea about taking it to the dealer. At least pull your phone out and record it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
HeftyJo
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing