Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 versa, 69k miles. It shut off a couple seconds after starting 2 days ago and would not restart. I got it back home. No codes. No blown fuses. Sounds like the fuel pump is not coming on. So I pulled the back seat and checked power to the fuel pump. I am getting 11.1v on only 1 wire the whole time the key is on. I expect this is for the fuel gauge? I am not getting anything momentarily when turning on the key or while cranking. It looks like there is no actual fuel pump relay and power comes out if the control board under the hood. That's as far as I got so far. Does anyone know what wireson the fuel sending unit are power and ground for the pump? Also does anyone know what wire on the control board goes to the pump? I will be looking at it again tonight. I did also try unhooking the battery for awhile. Also battery good, manual trans, turns over good. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 2014 Versa, 60K miles. I've troubleshot up to the same spot too. Maybe we can work together to figure this out :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replace the whole assembly if possible. Mine just went kaput @ 66k Miles. It’s most likely a pump/component issue. Not the electrical itself. Cheapy pumps are to blame I say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even that tiny little pump should be loud when you prime the engine and also once the car starts. My replacement pump out of a pretty new ‘16 I can hear outside the car with the back doors open and the seat taken out while the car is idling. The original pump in question I couldn’t even hear it running thru the gas tank fill whole WHILE the car was running. Nissan should do a recall on these 60k failing pumps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just for grins I looked up a new fuel pump assembly for my 2015 Versa S on the Napa Auto Parts website. $794.99 WTF!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yeah, that's just stupid silly, right? For sure I won't be going that route when faced with it. I'd have to see the insides and what is what before saying what I would do though, there is often a bypass or two inside the module to pre-establish pressure or to feed the cup. I was hoping that guy last month with the pump issue was going to spring some pics............

There will be NO 'RECALL' on the pumps, ETHANOL use in your local fuel is what commonly takes them out and the OEMs d-mn well know it.

If a pump makes too much noise then likely it has error in the mounting or starved of fuel to make noise at the initial prime and a classic issue. Many people do not provide enough priming fuel and the pumps damage in less than 60 seconds running dry. Normal noise is a very light whine with seat in place that you can only hear when trying to and close to it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you do replace the fuel pump, stay away from Airtex if you can. Went through 2 in a year on one of my trucks before going to OEM.
Note, this is my personal experiences with them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess the good thing with cars like the Versa is, at least the fuel pump is pretty easy to swap out, unlike a truck where you have to drop the tank.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you have a car like a Ford Contour you will scream, the hole under back seat is intended to change the pump but they made it about 2 inches too small to get the pump out. You have to split the sides of the hole to bend them back to get it out. More of Ford's 'better idea' thing. Mine has an Airtex in it that has been there for years now and runs fine, but I custom modded that pump to stay in fuel much more of the time, it was a last year 'before the module' model. I custom lowered the intake to be closer to tank floor and plumbed the regulator return pipe to return all bypass fuel right on top of the strainer to keep it wet at all times to keep pulling fuel at low levels.

If you are one that always runs fuel level low you WILL tend to change more pumps as a norm. Running out of gas is now the quickest way to ruin one beyond the ethanol corrosion thing and all new car owner manuals absolutely warn against running fuel very low now, they know that.

The earlier fuel module designs let fuel slosh out of the cup too much and it's hard to keep them filled and why everybody went to that type of module to begin with. A design that does not keep the pump flooded even when fuel level is very low will be one that tends to eat pumps. Like I've said before, the pumps can now die with as little as 60 seconds of overall dry running time. That includes everything you hit it with from the day the pump got put in car, running empty on fuel and even too low will add to that. So you have to look at your habits there. Trash in fuel can often mess up the one way check valve setup in module that feeds fuel into the cup while not letting it run out at low levels, all pumps do that in different ways.

·
Registered
167 Posts
^ That's true. Not all cars necessarily have easy access to the fuel pump.

Luckily, Nissan seems to be OK in regards to that. Our 2016 Nissan Quest has a flap in the rear carpeting to access the fuel pump door. All vintage Versii seem ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts