Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have a 2016 Versa Note hatchback and somehow the front bumper got scratched on the driver side (I didn't even notice when it happened or was done when the car was parked). The link has a picture of the damage.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AB20XswdG3TEpuaFdyZERXamM/view?usp=sharing

Quotes to repair the bumper that came in at over $700. One was $900! The repair shops are quoting roughly 8 hours of work. This was shocking high and seems ridiculous for the amount of damage that occurred, which I feel is really minor. Basically some paint got scraped off. I live in the South Bay area of CA (Sunnyvale, Mountain View, etc) since the cost of things are often location specific and this area is friggin expensive enough as it is.

Could I get a sanity check here on the cost of repairing this bumper? I want to feel confident that I'm not getting taken advantage of. I feel like I could almost fix the damage myself for much less money.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sound like prices in CA are quite a bit expensive than from our neck of the woods.

About a year ago someone backed into the rear bumper of my Jeep Grand Cherokee and tore the rear bumper cover. The dealer replaced the whole bumper cover with a new piece, plus the step pad and repainted it to match the car. Total cost was a little over $1000.

In your case I do not think there is any replacing to do but I cannot tell the extent of the damage. These days, it appears (at least in our area) the minimum charge for any kind of body work, no matter how minor is approx. $500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2016 Versa Note hatchback and somehow the front bumper got scratched on the driver side (I didn't even notice when it happened or was done when the car was parked). The link has a picture of the damage.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AB20XswdG3TEpuaFdyZERXamM/view?usp=sharing

Quotes to repair the bumper that came in at over $700. One was $900! The repair shops are quoting roughly 8 hours of work. This was shocking high and seems ridiculous for the amount of damage that occurred, which I feel is really minor. Basically some paint got scraped off. I live in the South Bay area of CA (Sunnyvale, Mountain View, etc) since the cost of things are often location specific and this area is friggin expensive enough as it is.

Could I get a sanity check here on the cost of repairing this bumper? I want to feel confident that I'm not getting taken advantage of. I feel like I could almost fix the damage myself for much less money.

That should not be more than 350-400.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Cant tell from the photo. You maybe able to buff it or use touch up paint. Small areas like this are what maaco does well in their specials they run. If your car is silver like aluminum foil then a lot can be done with a can of 99 cent silver spray paint. :grin

·
Registered
40 Posts
The same thing happened to my 2016 Nissan Versa Note which I bought less than six months ago; some scumbag hit it in the parking lot and did not leave a note. The front bumper did an amazing job of springing back into shape, so only the paint is chipped off in 6-7 little places. The left front quarter panel above the wheel has a dent which the paintless-dent-fix guys can probably do for maybe $200-300, but the area needs to be refinished (repainted) so that cost is extra.

Actually I've done maybe $25K of autobody work on my cars in the past, but those were older, beat up cars where you don't mind putting a sander to the paint. Fixing the chipped paint isn't all that simple on today's cars. Have to be spot puttied, sanded, then couple of coats of primer-surfacer and resanding most of that off to get it perfect, then a coat of primer, top coat, and clear coat, then buffing out the overspray with compounding agent - it's a PITA, besides the cost of the materials (and you'd need a big air compressor).

Keep in mind that to repaint a small chipped area will require sanding and refinishing an area 20X the size due to the paint overspray. That's why for rock chips, invest in having a detailer install those clear plastic bras on the front of the car (will run you $500-1000 - which I did on my muscle car).

I plan to pay someone to fix it before I sell the car (since some idiot may do it again), if I think it will improve the resale value significantly at that time. In the meantime, I touched up the chipped paint with a Duplicolor applicator even though there is primer/plastic underneath and not bare metal.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Depending on how much pressure was involved there I have actually simply rubbed out more damage than that before to be virtually invisible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing