Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a big stain under my middle front end last Tuesday. Wasn't wet, had no smell. Just looked a little dirty. No check engine lights. Not running hot. Instead of backing in to my parking space at home, the next day pulled in after checking there were no stains. Next morning I had 4 spots like in a square! The next day a bunch more spots. Is my transmission leaking? Car has almost 104,000 miles. Never leaked a thing but condensation before from a/c. Have a closed transmission system that I was told had to be checked between 80 and 100,000 miles. I did that with the Nissan dealer before 100,000 miles. They did not tell me if any issues. My son gave me his car and he bought it thru Enterprise car sales as he works for Enterprise. He had ot for several years before he got a company car. I got it at about 80,000 miles. Any ideas? Sharing pics.
Road surface Grey Asphalt Concrete Soil
Grey Road surface Asphalt Concrete Pattern
Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar Automotive tire

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
230 Posts
I might tape together a bunch of white paper (making one big sheet), place it under the car, put some rocks on the corners so it doesn't blow away and attempt to capture some of this fluid on that paper. It would help to know the color of the fluid. It could be a minor engine oil leak, in which case you just need to keep the crankcase topped off. Have you pulled the dipstick and checked your engine oil, lately??
My girlfriend's Dodge leaks engine oil in my driveway. I have to add 1/2 quart every month or so, which isn't that big a deal and not really worth fixing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You are 100% sure this is not condensate from the a/c system?

If it's oil of any kind, you need to get under the vehicle ASAP or get it on a lift to inspect. Running any oil level low is going to lead to expensive problems.

As a blind guess it looks like CVT fluid. (Greenish color. It's blue when new in the bottle).

I know on my 2015 base model sedan, one the steel transmission cooler lines rusted through and started leaking ATF. Mine rusted where it snaps into place into a tab on the radiator fan shroud. My 2015 has a 4spd automatic, so the fluid is red.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it in to someone to look at this morning and they said it was my transmission fluid. I am bringing it to a transmission shop Wednesday morning to get more idea how serious it is. Maybe it is just a bad gasket.i cannot afford a new transmission right now. But it is what it is. Will have to deal with whatever.:rolleyes: Thank you both for your replies. (P.S. I tried the white paper but did not get 1 leak on it overnite!)

·
Registered
389 Posts
If the vehicle has ever lived in a rust belt climate, your issue will most likely be what I suggested above. . It's a common problem. The steel portion of the transmission fluid cooler lines rust out, leaks and needs to be replaced. Short of that, it could be a loose hose clamp, transmission pan leak or axle seal leak as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you PoMan. You were right. They called me this morning and I have a rusted out cooler line. Such a relief. Should I assume they will fill up my fluid when they fix it? MUCH cheaper to fix, praise God! I took it to a transmission guy, not the dealer as I was not impressed with the dealer when they did my transmission service in December.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are 100% sure this is not condensate from the a/c system?

If it's oil of any kind, you need to get under the vehicle ASAP or get it on a lift to inspect. Running any oil level low is going to lead to expensive problems.

As a blind guess it looks like CVT fluid. (Greenish color. It's blue when new in the bottle).

I know on my 2015 base model sedan, one the steel transmission cooler lines rusted through and started leaking ATF. Mine rusted where it snaps into place into a tab on the radiator fan shroud. My 2015 has a 4spd automatic, so the fluid is red.
i agree cvt fluid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts