Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I just bought a 2017 Nissan Versa S Plus. It's got 80000 miles - I know, that's super heavy miles for a two year old car.
Considering the nature of mileage, does my car still qualify for 10 years / 120000 miles powertrain warranty? If not, is it advisable to purchase this separately?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My grandson just bought a 2015 Versa with 42,000 miles on it. The selling point? A 100,000 mile engine/drive train warranty. That's far better than I've got on my 2018.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Some Nissan dealerships provide a lifetime powertrain warranty on new vehicles they sell, to original owners, as long as owners follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule in the new owner's manual.

The conditions of lifetime powertrain warranty differ between issuing dealerships. Some require maintenance to be done at their dealership, others does not have such condition. Some offer a nationwide powertrain warranty (even including Canada). Some require a deductible. Just make sure it is all in writing.

Yes, I know, this warranty (as many insurance products) is as good as an issued dealership. If that dealerhip kicks a bucket, or being sold/changed name/changed ownership/whatsoever, the lifetime warranty could be not much of lifetime any more.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would be willing to bet that if you got a warranty like that you paid too much for the car. Other OEMs do it and the warranty cost is at least partly built into new car price there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 2015 Versa NEW in April 2016 from Nissan dealer. (Manufactured in Mexico Oct 2014). Yes, got VERY low purchase price, as they no doubt were hot to just get it "off the lot", their books.

Verified Warranty info provided by dealer by calling national Nissan corporate. Confirmed the warranty was what dealer claimed. (My concern was whether purchasing 2015 in 2016 in any way altered the warranty dates. It did not. Same expiration dates as if purchased in 2015)

Nissan Warranty
3 yr/30,000 mi -- Basic (defects) air cond, fuel sys, audio, sensors, major electrical
5 yr/60,000 mi -- Powertrain.. Engine, transmission, transaxle, drivetrain, restraint system
5 yr/unlimited miles -- Corrosion

BUT I DO HAVE 100,000 mi via GEICO insurance:
Warranty Geico MBI Mechanical Breakdown Insurance
7 yr/100,000 mi -- Bumper to bumper (EXCEPT regular maintenance oil, brakes, alignment, coolant)
==>$250 deductible Choose any place to repair; not required to be dealer

GEICO premium for warranty about $100/yr. Because I know I will continue to have low mileage, I know I will be covered the full 7 years. Greatest concern, the CVT transmission, of course.

Yesterday at dealership, 3 year / 30,000 mi service. Mileage 6,335. Did recommended CVT fluid replacement. Wanted to stay in compliance with the recommended service because, once again, Greatest concern, the CVT transmission, of course Also because fluids break down to some degree regardless of miles and this was original fluid from Oct 2014, I was OK with replacing 4 1/2 year old fluid. No way to know if it was actually needed. No dip stick.

Discussed with Service Advisor her experience with the CVT issues. She said unfortunately it is so random. Has seen CVT fail as early as 8,000 miles. Has seen vehicles with over 100,000 miles and original CVT still running. Has not seen direct relationship with fluid replacement helping or hurting. Has seen a fluid replacement done and 6 months later the CVT fail.

There we have it. ROULETTE wheel on the CVT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EDIT -- Correction
GEICO premium for warranty about $100/yr. Because I know I will continue to have low mileage, I know I will be covered the full 7 years. Greatest concern, the CVT transmission, of course.
----------------------------------------

Guessed wrong on premium. It is $68/yr

QUOTE:
What is Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI)? VALID 7 years or 100,000 miles

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance covers many mechanical repairs to your car, protecting you from expensive repair bills. This coverage is only available for vehicles with less than 15,000 miles that have been purchased within the last 15 months. A $250 deductible per claim applies. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is similar to a dealer's extended warranty protection. It's in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty.

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance covers repairs to the following systems:

Engine Steering Air Conditioning Transmission Cooling Brakes Drive Axle Suspension Electrical

EXCLUSIONS: MBI does not include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and lining, brake shoes and tires (includes tire wear and/or tire damage). Breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, rust and oxidation, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown coverage is in excess of coverage provided by the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Read that last sentence AGAIN.

You actually only have 2 year/40K more insurance, you have one warranty stacked on top of another and the second one doesn't pay spit if the first one covers the same issue. You can't pick which one applies first. GEICO gets free cash for nothing for more than half that warranty.

5 years before you can use it at $68/year = $340 for ??????

·
Registered
11 Posts
amc49 -- Sorry if not clear. Geico is in effect when a Nissan warranty ends. There are two Nissan warranties.

I am 3 years down and just over 6,000 miles now. The first Nissan warranty has ended at 3 years. Now Geico warranty is covering what the Nissan 3 year / 30,000 mile warranty no longer covers such as: air conditioning, fuel system, audio, sensors, major electrical. (Per Geico agents, they cover everything the manufacturer covered in the warranty that ended). That is FOUR extra years on those items.

Second Nissan warranty, 5 year / 60,000 miles still in effect for powertrain, engine, CVT transmission, transaxle, drivetrain, restraint system.

When the second Nissan warranty ends when 5 years down, Geico will cover that list as well; whatever Nissan covered in the warranty that ended. That will be TWO extra years on those last items. I will not hit the 100,000 miles to void it.

The CVT transmission roulette wheel is my (greatest) concern; but other items are potentially big ticket also. For a $340 total premium worth it to me; peace of mind; hope to never need it.

CORRECTION: You said $340 / 5yr before effective and I copied that. Then I thought afterward, not correct. Should be 3 years, $204 total premium, for first warranty to be replaced for 4 years effectiveness on those items.

Then years 4-7, I pay another $272 premium total, for second warranty to be replaced for 2 years effectiveness. All 7 years; total $476. Likely less than any one repair on either warranty list.

·
Registered
255 Posts
amc49 -- Sorry if not clear. Geico is in effect when a Nissan warranty ends. There are two Nissan warranties.

I am 3 years down and just over 6,000 miles now. The first Nissan warranty has ended at 3 years. Now Geico warranty is covering what the Nissan 3 year / 30,000 mile warranty no longer covers such as: air conditioning, fuel system, audio, sensors, major electrical. (Per Geico agents, they cover everything the manufacturer covered in the warranty that ended). That is FOUR extra years on those items.

Second Nissan warranty, 5 year / 60,000 miles still in effect for powertrain, engine, CVT transmission, transaxle, drivetrain, restraint system.

When the second Nissan warranty ends when 5 years down, Geico will cover that list as well; whatever Nissan covered in the warranty that ended. That will be TWO extra years on those last items. I will not hit the 100,000 miles to void it.

The CVT transmission roulette wheel is my (greatest) concern; but other items are potentially big ticket also. For a $340 total premium worth it to me; peace of mind; hope to never need it.

CORRECTION: You said $340 / 5yr before effective and I copied that. Then I thought afterward, not correct. Should be 3 years, $204 total premium, for first warranty to be replaced for 4 years effectiveness on those items.

Then years 4-7, I pay another $272 premium total, for second warranty to be replaced for 2 years effectiveness. All 7 years; total $476. Likely less than any one repair on either warranty list.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but you said 4 extra years effectiveness for the extension of the 1-st warranty, and 2 extra years effectiveness for the extension of the 2-nd warranty. It sums up to 6 years, not 7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
SlickVersa
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing