Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new here. Just bought a 2017 Versa S. Looking for helpful advice and experience whenever anyone can contribute.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome! My "advice" is just drive the car and enjoy it for what it is :wink don't waste your time and money trying to "bolt on more horsepower", same goes for any "magic MPG mods" you may hear of.

If you really want to customize some things.. better speakers may be a starting point, and possibly a new radio. Just know that the stock speakers are 2 ohm so if you replace only the speakers might have to add some 4 ohm tweeters or small speakers somewhere in parallel to keep the right load on the stock radio. Or just replace radio and speakers together. (Personally I think I am just going to add pairs of 4 ohm speakers and tweeters to keep each channel at 2 ohm and leave the stock radio alone).

Power lock actuator kits are pretty cheap and in my opinion worth the effort, especially if you are already going into the doors to change speakers or something. Several good threads on this forum on doing the power lock aftermarket kits.

An alarm can be a nice addition, sometimes available as part of the power lock kit (you'd want all that on one remote fob). The good news is there is just one wire to tap into for alarm trigger signal on any door or trunk opening. The bad news is the wire is hard to get to, but doable.

Anyways, welcome again to the forum and hope you enjoy your new car! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually thinking more cosmetically. My cars a base model, so, fog lights, spoiler, wheels, suspension etc.. no, the car will never be a rocket, and I'm not going to try that route. The stereo is a distant possibility, its used more by passengers than by myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I say start with rims, and some springs or coilovers. That's what I'm at right now. Rims are easy to find for our car since it's just a 4x100 layout so anywhere from $300-$600. And springs are $200 and coilovers are gonna be 1k. But that's somewhere nice to start

·
Registered
216 Posts
Somebody with the expensive coilovers has got to come to MN and let me drive their car just once, my brain can't understand how any suspension improvement could be worth that much cabbage. I mean, its more than 10% of the entire sale price of the car for me, I just can't wrap my head around how it could be that much better. I go around corners at a pretty good clip sometimes and dodge debris in the road that come flying out from between the tires of cars I am following, I don't feel like there is all that much body roll in this little car.

What I would pay for (if it were available) is a better shifter mechanism... You don't maybe realize unless you came from something with a GREAT shifter such as Honda's six speed and then you hope in a 5 speed versa and ...

If and when I get a new car, it won't be because the versa lacks power windows or heated seats or even horsepower... it will be because I can't stand their crotchety shifter anymore and I long too much for the smooth, short throws of Honda's six speed... Won't happen until at least 2019 :grin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have coilovers to install, and have tinted the windows. I'm waiting to decide on wheels before I experiment with ride height. I'm also not looking for a huge handling difference, more road holding. The car is pretty vague on the highway, especially during "slight breeze" 50mph winds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Errrz said:
The car is pretty vague on the highway, especially during "slight breeze" 50mph winds.
That is something I would love to not have to deal with anymore, wandering car syndrome making me look like a drunk everywhere I drive on breezy days! But surely there is something cheaper than coilovers that can help with this issue?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Nice tohear they are continuing the stick shift. I was looking at Altimas and Maximas, neither are available nowdays with a stick. :surprise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately, I'll be working the next 28 out of 48 hours, but next week, I should have some before and after photos of the coils. The shifter is also a definite issue but I don't see an option becoming available for it anytime soon. The coilovers were $600, which is pretty cheap overall for adjustability. I've heard most note parts won't fit the sedans, and sadly enough, CVT powered notes seem to be the hot topic in the tuner world of versas. Why, I have no clue, but.. yea.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I got a rear sway bar, curt hitch and run 40 psi in my tires. Rides good or so I think.

THe hitch is to add extra weight to the rear and firm up the body. No towing or hauling here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That is something I would love to not have to deal with anymore, wandering car syndrome making me look like a drunk everywhere I drive on breezy days! But surely there is something cheaper than coilovers that can help with this issue?
The only thing I am aware of that may definitely help in this department is good tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
No, most rims and tires work with a range of sizes of each other. Going with more tire vs rim gives a softer ride. Going with more rim with less tire can give a harsher ride and more control. I like more tires myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which leads me to the waiting deal on lowering the height. I'd prefer having 215/40/18 as oppose to 215/35, this is not recommended by any wheel company's, but, we're gonna find out why the old fashioned way I guess because I don't see why not, the recommended tires for 17" wheels are 215/45, and the difference in overall diameter between the two is something like .15". Does anyone see this becoming an issue? Other than the added weight and rotating mass?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a rear sway bar, curt hitch and run 40 psi in my tires. Rides good or so I think.

THe hitch is to add extra weight to the rear and firm up the body. No towing or hauling here.
If it wasn't a brand new car, I would really be down with that, a trailer hitch sway, very classy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want wider tires than what came on my 2015 Versa SV 4 door sedan. Do I have to upgrade the rim size?
I was going to go wider when I replaced the tires on my '15 SV, but I decided on Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring in the OEM size. They have a little wider contact patch and really helped the handling. I lost maybe a half-mile per gallon over the Continentals, but they really hold the road better. Worth the sacrifice!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
jnewkirk77
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing