Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nissan Versa 2018 (64k miles) that has been making a grinding noise when accelerating. It dosent affect the cars driving and dosent slip gears but the sound starts when accelerating then stops but sometimes picks up again when accelerating then stops. Anyone Know?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
226 Posts
I'd look at the front brakes. You could have a caliber dragging/sticking, although that may be more of a scraping/grinding sound. Are you hearing this sound when you decelerate or brake??
Can you pinpoint where the sound is coming from?? Front of car?? Back of car?? Left front??
Can you put the car up on jack stands and inspect the front end for anything obvious?? Torn CV boot??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look at the front brakes. You could have a caliber dragging/sticking, although that may be more of a scraping/grinding sound. Are you hearing this sound when you decelerate or brake??
Can you pinpoint where the sound is coming from?? Front of car?? Back of car?? Left front??
Can you put the car up on jack stands and inspect the front end for anything obvious?? Torn CV boot??
I hear it at the front of the car. It dosent make the noise when i reverse or decelerate. I have a video of the noise that i took but i’d there i way i could send it to you? I went to Menike wich is a mechanic franchise in Nevada and the guy was saying he was thinking it was the transmission but didn’t do any tests.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
226 Posts
I have a video of the noise that i took but i’d there i way i could send it to you?
I don't think I would be of much use with automatic transmission sounds or issues. I've never owned an automatic, all of my vehicles have that 3rd pedal.
Perhaps someone more familiar with automatic transmissions in Nissan products will chime in about noises/sounds/behavior, etc.
I went to Menike wich is a mechanic franchise in Nevada and the guy was saying he was thinking it was the transmission but didn’t do any tests.
OK... so there is no need for you to poke around under the car. If there had been something obvious like a torn CV boot/bad half shaft or stuck caliber; the Menike mechanic would have easily spotted it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My first guess would be an exhaust heat shield.

I've had to fortify the attachment points (add big fender washers) to every single one of them on our 2015 and eventually had to pull the one off from around the front catalytic converter completely.

They'll all rattle and buzz in different situations.

Knowing the versa, that's where I would go first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts