Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am considering a new Versa with 5 speed that I can get for $15k out the door. My question is what are some realistic mpg figures for my situation? I commute 56 miles-one-way on a 55mph road the whole way so usually I’m going 60-65mph. With the 5 speed geared how it is, what kind of mileage should I realistically expect? I rarely use A/C, I am light on throttle and coast regularly. The commute is most flat with shallow hills throughout. Any input is appreciated but please remember I am talking about 5 speed manual! No CVT!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ethanol free gas - maybe 40 mpg. Is there a 0.5 mph headwind? 30.

Normal, 10-15% ethanol gas - 30 mpg. At 5,000 ft altitude, The EPA #'s on this car are a lie.

$15K buys a very nice and substantially better built used 4 door car, some with V6's that will get better mileage. The Versa is a pile of garbage. Slightly better than a ride-on lawn mower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone I am considering a new Versa with 5 speed that I can get for $15k out the door. My question is what are some realistic mpg figures for my situation? I commute 56 miles-one-way on a 55mph road the whole way so usually I’m going 60-65mph. With the 5 speed geared how it is, what kind of mileage should I realistically expect? I rarely use A/C, I am light on throttle and coast regularly. The commute is most flat with shallow hills throughout. Any input is appreciated but please remember I am talking about 5 speed manual! No CVT!
Got one. Short gears. Lol. Your in the 3k rpm range over 70 mph. I found that it uses a little more gas than my previous Note. Bigger gas tank, tho. I'm not a fan of the long throw of the clutch pedal. Makes quick shifts almost impossible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got one. Short gears. Lol. Your in the 3k rpm range over 70 mph. I found that it uses a little more gas than my previous Note. Bigger gas tank, tho. I'm not a fan of the long throw of the clutch pedal. Makes quick shifts almost impossible.
Thanks for the reply! I will be cutting down my commute substantially and the top speed I’ll be is 60mph. Assuming ideal conditions such as little wind and relatively flat road, what kind of mileage would you estimate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I will be cutting down my commute substantially and the top speed I’ll be is 60mph. Assuming ideal conditions such as little wind and relatively flat road, what kind of mileage would you estimate?
I'm getting around 35 mpg combined, if that helps. This car is in serious need of a stiffer suspension. Way too soft for my liking. Looks like the lowering springs off the Note might fit. Same suspension parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a 2020 Manila versa for about 6 months or more my average in the WV mountains is around 37mpg plus or minus 1. Most of the ride to work everyday is 50mph and I usually do 60. The car tells me that I average 33 mph. Idrive it around town on my lunch breaks, pick the kids up from school.
I can get it to average over 40 if I am really paying attention but that has gotten old now. But I can verify that last number by checking the math at the pump. The 37mpg is real world check the numbers every week at the pump.
I can’t complain for something that’s not suppose to better then 30mpg combined and 35 on the highway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update for anyone that cares. I test drove a new Versa again today. Actually took it out on a highway between 55-60mph to simulate my commute. Clutch is light and forgiving, the shifter has solid shift points and tight gate, the gears ARE SO LOW!!! Why didn’t Nissan just slap a 6 speed in here and make it something worthy of taking past 55?? If I babied it I could get it to blip past 40mpg but that was on flat ground with no wind. My wife’s RAV4 gets better mileage than that and it’s AWD. Idk my commute is only 10 miles but it just feels so puny when you’re driving down the highway at 55mph and the engine is turning 3k rpm in OD..... only redeeming quality is price tag.... to be continued..

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
52 Posts
...the gears ARE SO LOW!!! Why didn’t Nissan just slap a 6 speed in here and make it something worthy of taking past 55??
I've always wondered why auto manufacturers haven't given us "manual" transmission drivers the option of a two speed axle/differential (low and high range). Use the low range for "around town" and the high range for "highway speeds"...

Imagine the gas mileage we could get with 10 forward gears!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've always wondered why auto manufacturers haven't given us "manual" transmission drivers the option of a two speed axle/differential (low and high range). Use the low range for "around town" and the high range for "highway speeds"...

Imagine the gas mileage we could get with 10 forward gears!!
I like your style! Have a power diverter in a compact car 😂 cost is prohibitive and unfortunately there are less and less stick shifts offered every year

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
52 Posts
cost is prohibitive and unfortunately there are less and less stick shifts offered every year
I was just thinking about how a lot of hybrids have these very expensive batteries that costs thousands of dollars to boost your gas mileage. Moreover, the environmental impact of mining lithium, etc. can be costly.

Whereas a 2 speed axle/differential would cost an auto manufacturer $1,000 - $1,500 per car and minimal environmental impact, as the steel required to build the power diverter could be recycled.

But you are correct... there are less and less manuals offered each year. The idea of a twin stick or button on the shifter for a second set of gears makes me quite happy. I do wonder how much extra mpg we could actual get...

Just something to wonder about....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Whereas a 2 speed axle/differential would cost an auto manufacturer $1,000 - $1,500 per car and minimal environmental impact, as the steel required to build the power diverter could be recycled.
CFO of a car manufacturing company would have a hart attack looking at "$1,000 - $1,500 per car" suggestion. They count pennies...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just thinking about how a lot of hybrids have these very expensive batteries that costs thousands of dollars to boost your gas mileage. Moreover, the environmental impact of mining lithium, etc. can be costly.

But you are correct... there are less and less manuals offered each year. The idea of a twin stick or button on the shifter for a second set of gears makes me quite happy. I do wonder how much extra mpg we could actual get...

Just something to wonder about....
Well if you were to couple that with a small 3 or 4 cylinder turbo diesel you could realistically reach 80mpg+ on highway. The diesel being unregulated with def or regen of course. I had a 2018 Chevy Cruze diesel with the 6 speed and it averaged between 55-60mpg real driving. I imagine a few more overdrive gears and deleted def would increase possibly 10-20mpg as that thing purred like a kitten on the highway at 1500rpm top gear going 70mph. Definitely interesting to think about.
Nissan really missed the opportunity to make this a hybrid contender by not putting another OD. But they are focusing on CVT as it has an infinite range of ratios with a deeper OD than the manual. That being said, the thing is very easy to drive for having such little torque! It just seems silly that by the time you’re done rowing the gears you are at peak efficiency at 50mph 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A high/low rear end would drop RPM, yea. But I doubt this engine makes enough HP at lower RPMs to push the car thru the wind at 60 mph.
Oh for sure! The engine in the Versa couldn’t. My little 4 banger diesel I had in my Cruze would no problem. Peak torque was made by 2400rpm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 S model with the 5 speed. I am averaging 41.1 MPG over the first 11K and over all forms of driving conditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts