Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 versa SR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new amp and door speakers. The factory battery lasted about a month before giving up the ghost. I knew it wasn't going to last, just figured I'd have a little more time.

I'm going to get an optima yellow top to replace it, but I'm having difficulty tracking down what size it is. Does anyone know what size the battery is?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
DON'T. I used to sell Optima and they are highly overrated, they fail more than normal batteries do and the warranty is never as long as the others. And they commonly try to sell you wrong size as Optima in no way makes every size there is, they only have a few numbers and forcefit anything that is not an exact one. Why you can't find THE one.

The ONLY thing Optima does well is rough service as in dirt running or the like, they stand up to shaking far better than any others. The ONLY thing they do well, they fall way short in everything else. I warrantied far more of them than any other brand; people are so out of the loop when wanting them. Common fails at 2 years........weak product.

Where is your warranty on a car that new?????

·
Registered
2020 versa SR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but I'm still looking for the size of the battery. I've been looking at multiple battery manufacturers websites as well as AutoZone, O'Reilly's, advance Auto, nobody seems to know what size the battery is.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Call a dealership parts department, they may tell you. Also ask them who is manufacturing their batteries, it may give you the lead where to search. Usually car makers do not manufacture things like oil, batteries and such, they outsource it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Nissan is well known for popping in oddball battery sizes never seen before they do it, we've had that argument here before. It's to get people to go back to dealer for battery. They have their own specialty sizes. Then people freak out trying to find them in the general market.

The battery itself may have numbers on it to show the new size and barring that you measure them and pick one that comes closest in measurement and with at least 500 amp to cover most 4 cylinder applications. More amp here for the amp.

So, it really does not matter what is in it, I typically change at first opportunity to get away from the 'trick' battery sizes to pick a much more commonly used one that can be up to $40 cheaper and I do what it takes to slightly refit battery in tight. You commonly have to shim a bit. Then you end up cheaper and can get it anywhere. I have 4 cars and none is using the original size, but they all look like OEM as I fit them in well and use good parts hooking them up. 2 of the cars were refitted to use any size battery on the planet to open the choices up. On my Versa already measured out to fit likely a standard 75 series in place of the oddball one in it and looks like it fits fine

The national parts chains can take up to 6 months getting the new number of battery, it takes that long to get the parts catalogs changed. If the basic car did not change the model to a next gen one the battery will likely be same as in a '19 and get that number and measure the battery to see if it is the same as yours. I had to do retro-research like that all day long to match parts. Look online to see if you can find any underhood pics of a '19 and see for yourself. If the wiring/cable approach and placement looks the same then it likely is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2014 Versa Note. The original battery was tiny. I joked it looked like a motorcycle battery. My factory battery died in a year or year and a half. I was hesitant to deal with dealer and warranty so I looked into just buying a replacement. I was shocked this joke as thing was like $150+ everywhere. Its an odd size. So I did the warranty thing. That one got me like 2-3 years I think. Three is the norm for south FL. So when that gave the ghost I did what my dad always taught me. Put in the biggest battery that will fit! LOL I looked at the terminal arrangement and busted out the tape measure. Nissan used a weird battery but had so much room to spare in the engine compartment. I went to Costco where they sell Interstate batteries. Some of the best from what I read now a days. I was able to fit a bigger battery but can't get the hold down bar to fit. Im not worries about that really. I was able to cram in a nice 124R Group 27 battery with 700CCA and 875CA. I believe it was the typical $80-90 range as well. It was a good improvement over the stock stats. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did you keep the factory head unit? Tell me about your setup? I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers but keeping the factory head unit for simplicity. I'd like to keep the steering wheel controls and fear the ad on kits don't really work.

·
Registered
2020 versa SR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what I've learned so far... As far as the battery goes, sizes 47 and 97R will fit in the space decently well without much of any modification. As stated before, optima batteries have gone to crap. Interstate batteries would seem to be a better fit for a more versatile or high-powered use. Even for things like multiple cell phones, amplifiers and aftermarket equipment. The interstate MTX-47 H5 looks like it would be a good choice.
As far as the stereo goes, I put in Rockford fosgate R165X3 in all four locations. They're $45 or so a pair at crutchfield, and come with wiring harness and mounting adapter. It does sound far more clear than the anemic muddy factory speakers. I didn't touch the head unit, I don't want to mess with the connectivity and integrated look just yet. Maybe in future years once fitment kits are available along with steering wheel controls. I found out my amplifier had a weird problem where even though it was turned off via the remote wire, tied into the windshield wiper circuit, I was still getting 12 volts between the amplifiers ground and the vehicle ground. The amplifier appeared to be turned off, no lights turned on showing that it was turned on. So it looks like I'm in the market for a new amplifier...
In case anyone was curious, I ran my power wire through the firewall via the rubber boot that takes the factory wiring harness through the firewall. There's a zip strip on the rubber boot underneath the steering wheel area on the floorboard, after snipping that zip strip and running a wire coat hanger through it I was able to somewhat easily pull the power wire through to the battery. In order to see that boot on the other side of the engine compartment, I had to remove the electronic components that are in between the battery and the windshield firewall area. It's mostly 10 mm nuts and bolts, maybe a few other things I don't really remember. But once you loosen all of that electrical box area, it allows you to wiggle it around a bit and see/find the coat hanger on the other end. It is truly a pain in the butt to do, but totally worth it as opposed to trying to drill through the firewall or find a safe place to run wires. Once inside the vehicle, all the floor trim easily pops apart and allows you to run the power wire down the driver side of the vehicle and into the trunk. While I had the rear door speakers disassembled, I tapped into the wiring of the doors and ran the speaker wire through the doors into the b pillar and down the side trim and into the trunk. Using a high level to RCA converter I then ran RCAs to the amplifier.

If anybody has any questions about the install, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts