Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5-speed 2020 Versa S with ~26k miles that I've owned since new, and for the past few months I've been having some weird issues that have me stumped. Occasionally after warming up, the car will struggle to idle when sitting in neutral. Rpms will oscillate between 400 and 1200, and the oscillation will gradually get worse until I either start driving away, or the car eventually stalls out. While driving, the car basically acts normal except that I seem to have a bit less power at WOT, but this change is very subtle. On days when the car acts like this, it will eventually throw a P0101 MAF code, and will sometimes also trip a number of body control codes all at once (see pics).

The crazy part is that this only happens about 10% of the time! Most of the time the car acts totally normal. It seems to happen at complete random: there's no correlation to time of day, A/C on/off, lights on/off, etc. If I let the car sit for about 20-30 mins, it almost always acts normal afterwards.

Since I still have several years on my warranty, I tried taking the car to the dealership to see what they thought, but of course the car acted normal on that day. The dealer followed the procedure in TSB NTB21-049 (see here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199172-0001.pdf) which appears to describe my exact issue. They tested the battery, and it allegedly passed their load test. They then performed idle air volume learning, which changed nothing. They also claimed that I should pay $300 to have my throttle body cleaned, which I'm calling BS on for a car with 25k miles running a Wix air filter that I installed at 20k. (off topic: what's the point of a factory warranty if I'm going to be charged $300 for service that I shouldn't need?)

From my point of view, everything is pointing to either a battery or grounding issue. I should add that according to my OBD reader, oftentimes battery voltage drops as low as 11.7-11.8V while idling. I've confirmed via a multimeter that the resting battery voltage with car off is typically ~11.9V, which seems low.

Should I just drop the $120 on a new battery and see what happens? Should I go hunting for grounding gremlins? All advice is appreciated!

Attachments

· Super Moderator
442 Posts
Make sure that aftermarket air filter fits perfectly. I had a similar issue with our 2019 Pathfinder and it wound up being an I'll fitting napa air filter that sagged into the air cleaner housing a bit. It allowed unfiltered air to pass, which put debris on the MAF sensor.

You wouldn't think a 2-3yr old battery would be failing, but id want to load test it. I have an inexpensive topdon brand battery tester for this purpose.

Other than those things, could you have rodent damage (chewed wires) from the vehicle sitting?

· Registered
748 Posts
You can do two things:

* Stop at your local BatteryPlus store, they will run a load test and recharge your car battery for free if it not fully charged.

* Go to another Nissan dealership for your issue. They may even clean your TB for free if they think it is a culprit, and it is not included in the maintanance schedule for your 2020 Versa (so it is not a maintanence item you are responsible for).

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! I don't think I would have any chewed wires since the car has never sat for an extended period of time. I'll take a look at the air filter again and see if there are any potential leak paths. If not, I'll go try and get this battery load tested myself and see what I find.

· Registered
108 Posts
It's under warranty. Go to Nissan and throw a fit until they fix it. For free. And if they refuse start writing letters to those higher up the chain. "Breech of warranty" is the phrase you want to use.

If they can't fix it, look into the lemon laws in your state.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have a 5-speed 2020 Versa S with ~26k miles that I've owned since new, and for the past few months I've been having some weird issues that have me stumped. Occasionally after warming up, the car will struggle to idle when sitting in neutral. Rpms will oscillate between 400 and 1200, and the oscillation will gradually get worse until I either start driving away, or the car eventually stalls out. While driving, the car basically acts normal except that I seem to have a bit less power at WOT, but this change is very subtle. On days when the car acts like this, it will eventually throw a P0101 MAF code, and will sometimes also trip a number of body control codes all at once (see pics).

The crazy part is that this only happens about 10% of the time! Most of the time the car acts totally normal. It seems to happen at complete random: there's no correlation to time of day, A/C on/off, lights on/off, etc. If I let the car sit for about 20-30 mins, it almost always acts normal afterwards.

Since I still have several years on my warranty, I tried taking the car to the dealership to see what they thought, but of course the car acted normal on that day. The dealer followed the procedure in TSB NTB21-049 (see here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199172-0001.pdf) which appears to describe my exact issue. They tested the battery, and it allegedly passed their load test. They then performed idle air volume learning, which changed nothing. They also claimed that I should pay $300 to have my throttle body cleaned, which I'm calling BS on for a car with 25k miles running a Wix air filter that I installed at 20k. (off topic: what's the point of a factory warranty if I'm going to be charged $300 for service that I shouldn't need?)

From my point of view, everything is pointing to either a battery or grounding issue. I should add that according to my OBD reader, oftentimes battery voltage drops as low as 11.7-11.8V while idling. I've confirmed via a multimeter that the resting battery voltage with car off is typically ~11.9V, which seems low.

Should I just drop the $120 on a new battery and see what happens? Should I go hunting for grounding gremlins? All advice is appreciated!

Bring to nissan dealership they are able to find the issues,diagnose properly and apply the TSB aswell. Let em handle your car while the car is under warranty.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I don't think I would have any chewed wires since the car has never sat for an extended period of time. I'll take a look at the air filter again and see if there are any potential leak paths. If not, I'll go try and get this battery load tested myself and see what I find.
I have the same car with the same problems to the T. I have 86k and have Owned since new aswell. My problems started around the same time but were far and few between it wasn’t until about 60k that it became a daily event. I’ve replaced the MAF that does nothing so don’t waist your time or money. I’m on my third air filter and I will be investigating the idle air control valve hoping that’s the issue. Whatever it is it’s tripping all the “assist” sensors and causing poor fuel economy. I feel your pain, if you find the problem please let me know as I will do the same!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts