Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm lowering my hatchback with H&R springs soon and am now contemplating 17" wheels.

I'm deciding between 205/45/17 and 215/45/17.

The 205's are a touch smaller in diameter than stock, and the 215's a touch bigger.

The 215's would provide a bit more cushion and possibly protect the rims better, and the 205's would be better for torque and off the line power.

Also, I have a CVT transmission.

Thoughts? Experience?

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
I have factory SL alloys that came with 185s and I want 205s but thats with 15s and you want 17s...I'd say go for the 215s. They'd cover the wheel gap(if any).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
i don't have much experience here, but if price difference is negligible, i prefer the wider rubber across the rim look. I see the trend these days is less width with more camber.
Other performance differences may be small too, so i'm going for the look.
My old-school 2c

·
Registered
232 Posts
Based on my experience I would suggest 215 45. I currently have 205/40/17 and eibach springs. I feel every single crack bump on the road even the small ones. Before I lowered it and after lowering the ride as far a comfort feels the same. Since comfort has not changed after lowering I blame the tires. I know your getting 205 45 but its only 5% more meat don't know which will prevent bent rims but the 205 40 before lowering resulted in one bent rim. from my high school math calculations if you get 205 45 you will get .82 millimeters and with 215 45 you will get 96.75. I don't know about any performance gains I just know with my 6 speed when I accelerate hard the tires don't squeal any more.

But its all up to you. Good luck and keep us updated on your choice an results.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Before I lowered it and after lowering the ride as far a comfort feels the same. Since comfort has not changed after lowering I blame the tires. .
This is good to know...thx!

·
Registered
20 Posts
After reading a lot of opinions on this and other forums, I went with 205/50 17s. They ride really nicely, and I was concerned that if I went too wide it would affect the power steering. I just installed Tanabe lowering springs and do like the the way the wheels and springs complement one another.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right then.

I was on the fence mostly because of the CVT. I don't want to burden the drivetrain and keep the good mileage as best I can. I'd like to get some feedback from CVT owners who've upped the rim diameter.

It seems that the 215's have the vote eh?

·
Registered
63 Posts
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This site is pretty nice. It gives you an overlap comparison of your stock and new tires, from a front and side view. It also includes how the new size will affect your speed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This site is pretty nice. It gives you an overlap comparison of your stock and new tires, from a front and side view. It also includes how the new size will affect your speed.
Nice site, thanks!
Update:

I now have my H&R springs installed.

I bought these springs for the softer ride and although they do deliver on this point, they will travel through to the bump stops when larger pavement irregularities come crashing through at higher speeds.

Now, I live in Chigagoland, so I ought to know better, but there it is.

I had it aligned Friday and the right rear tow-in was borderline too negative. I mentioned some "shims" I'd read about for the rear, but the mechanic dismissed this remedy quoting "warranty void".

I'm going to have a look anyways to see if there's some way to shim the hub on it's perch. Can't be too hard.

I was digging around on e-bay for some rims when I came upon Motegi rims: Motegi on E-Bay

Anyone ever heard of them?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not cut the bumper stops. Had no issue's. Those rims are beautiful but I haven't heard of them. Any pics of the lowered V?
No pics lowered yet. It's been snow/slush for the past few days, but when I get it cleaned up, I'll post up.

I'm thinking that cutting the bump stops seems like a good way to keep from "bottoming out" over the frost heaves and pot holes so that are everywhere around here in Chicagoland. Especially this time of year.:scrambles:
But I'd have to take the struts all apart again to get to them, yes?

Seems to me the front at least could benefit from another inch of travel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.