Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've degreased and hose washed many an engine and never a problem. The 2007 Versa SL I just got my daughter cam with the dirtiest engine I've seen so I sprayed all the engine with degreaser and hoses of with high pressure water as I always do. Well this time I got after the engine wash a misfire on #3 . The coils and their leads are quite exposed and I did fire thru that gap area under the manifold.

So I'm asking, did I short a coil, did I dislodge a connector or is just water on plug an issue. Don't want to strip the whole thing down and replace coils and plugs unless I know what might be the issue.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Moral of the story: Don't hose wash modern engines.

Who knows what you did. Could be those....could be totally different.

Test coil 3 by moving it to cylinder 1. If you get a misfire now on cylinder 1, you burned out the coil pack. If you don't, it's something else.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What I think is funny is someone asking us if we know exactly where he put the water! I would think he would be the better judge of that than we.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I screwed up here. Anyway as the effort to change coils is at least two hours labor is it not best to just put in new coils when I put in the new plugs? Anyone had bad experience with cheap non OEM coils?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did you make sure and let everything dry out prior to trying to start the engine? Since you already have the problem you might try using the pressure spray from an air compressor in all of the areas that you sprayed water.

I would sure make sure you have the water completely gone prior to changing anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
WD40 is a water dispersant. Maybe removing the coils, drying them the best you can and spraying them lightly with WD40 would resolve the problem. In the old days of older types of ignition systems people would use WD40 in distributor caps to disperse moisture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2016 Versa: thanks.
I'm due new plugs so I'll strip it down anyway and have a look. Amazon has well rated coils for about $60 a SET - worth just replacing all?

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
2016 Versa: thanks.

I'm due new plugs so I'll strip it down anyway and have a look. Amazon has well rated coils for about $60 a SET - worth just replacing all?

Mike
Yes, might as well replace them all... especially if your car is due for them. At just over 100k miles my 2011 popped it's first cylinder misfire code. Sooo, I changed the plugs and coils except I bought the Denso coils from RA at $60 "each" :-(

Don't forget to change the intake and throttle body gaskets.

BTW, doing this is not as difficult as I thought. There are plenty of YouTube vids that can assist.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts