Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Versa S 5MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I bought a 2020 5mt at the beginning of this year, 2020, and have about 3k miles on it at the moment. Doesn't seem like there are any problems at the moment with this car. I really enjoy the car and the safety features are a huge plus. I've seen that there have been problems in the past with the hr16de engine with it knocking -- to my knowledge, it is the main and rod bearings on the crankshaft. This new versa has a somewhat new resigned hr16de without the intake manifold going over the spark plugs and it makes more horsepower, but I think that's just due to reprogramming of the computer, but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that. I have a few questions that are very important to us 3rd gen owners. Also, I will add a photo of the engine and a vid of the sound of it running.

1) Does the vid I linked sound like it suffers from engine knock?
2) Is this engine produced in the same factory that the old hr16de was produced in?
3) Do we know that it is just the camshaft and the bearings supporting it making the knocking noise for most of the other defective hr16de engines, or is it equal parts piston slap, etc.?
4) If it is just the former problem above, what do ya'll think about bring your car to a mechanist to get all the clearances right? (a new crankshaft and bearings on the nissan parts website total to about ~$250). I know that it will be expensive, but if nissan can't build the engine right the first time for so many people, why trust that they'll do it right the second time.
5) What parts of the engine were redesigned besides the intake manifold? do they have a casting procedure for the metal components? do you know if they fixed quality control?

If there is knocking and it worsens, I plan on waiting until there is either 1 year or 10k miles left on my warranty and making nissan replace the engine under warranty, I know I will have to push and fight the dealer techs, and consider doing the plan I stated in question #4 if it is possible.

Thank you for your time and I hope all of you have a reliable future with your versas; Remember to change your CVT fluid religiously if that applys to you.

google drive link to the mp4 file of the video-------------------------------------------->20200420_134153.mp4
1587410909990.png

·
Registered
731 Posts
The issue with my older 2009 versa engine was primarily the piston slap problem. My engine started rapping at about 25,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. The replaced engine has about 35,000 miles and is developing the same sound as the old engine. When the engine is cold, you can hear the sound very easily, and as it warms up, it is hardly noticeable. Who knows how long the engine can go before it decides to give up the ghost.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Versa S sedan
34 Posts
are you talking about the 1.8L? I am concerned about the HR16DE
The 1st gen models also had the HR16DE engine as an option aside from the MR18DE. On the 2nd and 3rd gen models, the 1.6L HR16DE is the only available option.

Personally I've not had any knocking or piston slap issues yet on my HR16DE knocks on wood ...but if it gets to that point, they're hardly worth fixing when an entire new engine can be had for under $700 most times. I plan on swapping mine out for an SR as soon as it gives on me.

The video seems fine to me, though having the camera underneath the car makes listening for any ticking from the engine in the video a bit difficult. The 3rd gen 2020+ models are still made in Mexico, and afaik so is the newly redesigned HR16DE v3 that goes in them. The knocking on older HR engines usually is lifter tick and a few other issues, with piston slap being more common on the MR18DE.

It would be best to have Nissan replace the engine under warranty if it gets to that point. The HR16DE is a relatively cheap Renault-made platform, and putting in the work to make one of them run smoothly as it should will cost more than it's worth. But this early on, it's unlikely there are any major issues with the engine in your new 2020 sedan yet.

Thankfully, you avoided most of the issues with these cars by avoiding the CVT transmission, as the manual transmission models (and even the 4-speed auto, if you can find one. Discontinued in the Versa in 2017) are light years more reliable and able to take a beating compared to the CVTs . I raced my Versa in AutoX quite a bit in 2016 and have the same engine to this day with zero mechanical issues. Personally, I feel a lot of the issues with these cars can be avoided with regular maintenance, something a lot of people don't do to their own cars much anymore unfortunately.

I just replaced the CV axles, trans flush, new filter, bearings and more on my 2015 sedan with ~100k miles. Feels like a new car again.

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Versa S 5MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@MrDaggs Thank you for the info. I'm anxious and that calmed me down. I'll be going to college in a year, and this car just has to get me through that, and maybe a year or two more. It will be a city car, which is why I chose this one, so my sleep deprived college self will have almost no chance of hitting someone by accident with the automatic emergency braking (I'm a good driver and never got in an accident, but it's good to know that I have backup for a busy college city). Most of the time I will be in college it will be under warranty and I will do maintenance at the dealer at the specified time/mileage intervals, which ever comes first.

Also, I don't know if it is because the intake runners don't go over the valve cover anymore, but the fuel injectors are really loud on this thing, which seems fine. My sister's '14 2.0 skyactive-g engine on mazda 3 does the same thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts