Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 nissan 240sx

He wants $1500 but it only books for 500-700. He says it "needs some rust work underneath for next inspection sticker". It has 180,000 miles and its an auto. Other than that there isn't much information listed for the car. I would like a manual, but honestly I haven't driven a stick since I was on my learners permit, and I have gotten quite used to my auto Versa, so it doesn't really bother me, and with 180k on the clock, its probably going to need a swap at some point, at which time I can always convert it to manual. I'm going to look at it this weekend. Does anybody have info about these cars? What should I look out for when I check it over/test drive it, other than the usual weird squeeks and vibrations you look for in any used car?

If I can get it for less than $1000...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Your gonna end up having to putting more money than you have I bet. Thats alot of miles who knows whats all wrong with it, and hes asking to much. The best bet is to find one thats been takin care of, him saying theres rust is the first sign it hasnt. There are alot of 240s out there id look for one thats clean outside and under the hood, dust on the motor, rust underneath are signs that the car hasnt had the attention its needed the keep it running proparely. Some ppl have loved these cars kept them stock, rebuilt the motor things like that. This is just my opinion (from someone who loves 240s), if you really want the car go for it could be a fun project. I would just watch out when buying a car thats over 20 years old.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your gonna end up having to putting more money than you have I bet. Thats alot of miles who knows whats all wrong with it, and hes asking to much. The best bet is to find one thats been takin care of, him saying theres rust is the first sign it hasnt. There are alot of 240s out there id look for one thats clean outside and under the hood, dust on the motor, rust underneath are signs that the car hasnt had the attention its needed the keep it running proparely. Some ppl have loved these cars kept them stock, rebuilt the motor things like that. This is just my opinion (from someone who loves 240s), if you really want the car go for it could be a fun project. I would just watch out when buying a car thats over 20 years old.
Of course you gotta be careful anytime you buy a car like this, but I figured it was at least worth a look, considering its only about 20 minutes away from me. And all cars here have rust. Its inevitable when you live in the Northeast. I will take a look, take a bunch of pictures, and report back to you.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Like I said its all opinion on my part, I cant really tell you the way to go, but your not stupid and im sure you have bought a used car or two, you know what to look for.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've certainly learned from my mistakes. First car-too rusty. Second car-bad tranny. Versa-good :)

I also know a lot more about cars now than I did when I started driving.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna keep it clean and close to original specs.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Unless your rebuilding the motor or swapping in an SR20 I see no point in getting it. That type of car is a project car, one that most times you have to put thousands of dollars into. Well that's just my opinion, that's what I would get the car for anyways.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be rebuilding the motor and putting in a 5 spd manual. And I want it as a project car. The versa's great, but I think I pretty much have it to the point where I enjoy it as a daily vehicle, but I want something else that I can have a little more fun with. I've been looking for something for awhile now but haven't had much luck. I looked at a 300zx about a month ago, and a 3000gt last weekend. I didn't really like either, but I really like the 240sx.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well in that case then go for it. Just make sure that the rust underneath isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, thats what im worried about. I got a lot of goof info from the guys over in the 240 forums at nico, so now I know what to watch out for when I go look at it.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Been tryignt o get in touch with the guy all weekend.. He's not answering.

Ad's been deleted from CL so I'm guessing he sold it :(

It's alright though cause it looks like I need to put more money in the V anyways.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to replace the pads and rotors. Pads are worn down to nothing and the rotors are warped..

Here's what its like when I brake form high speed:
Apply brake, steering wheel vibrates violently, horrible grinding noise, finally stop.

So I bought some oem type rotors off amazon and then got the hawk ceramic pads from versaspeed. shop was gonna charge me $420. In total its gonna cost me around $180 to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha, i've moved on from this. Friday Im going to do the final inspection/test drive of an 84 Mazda RX-7. I plan on riving it home :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's good project. But be prepared for frustrations, like with any project car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts