Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 versa note SL, 104k miles on it I believe. It literally just started doing this today. The A/C will run cold if you're moving, but the moment you stop for an extended period of time (like a stop light) it warms up.

I live in the desert so definitely need A/C.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
What if you rev the engine while stop. Does it cool then? If yes you are low on freon.

Otherwise you got an issue with your fans or just too much heat under the hood. Basically its a delta V between the evaporator and condenser. There is a max temp diff between the high and low side. The more you remove heat from one side or cool from the other the bigger the diff of the 2. Also heat from the engine bay will radiate into the foot wells of the car making the interior warmer.

So, best way to make ac cooler is too add more air flow to the condenser.

For the most cool air use recycle for air, vent and high bower speed. Some cars if you by pass the heater core tube you can gain a few degrees, but I havent ventured that far into the engine bay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if you rev the engine while stop. Does it cool then? If yes you are low on freon.

Otherwise you got an issue with your fans or just too much heat under the hood. Basically its a delta V between the evaporator and condenser. There is a max temp diff between the high and low side. The more you remove heat from one side or cool from the other the bigger the diff of the 2. Also heat from the engine bay will radiate into the foot wells of the car making the interior warmer.

So, best way to make ac cooler is too add more air flow to the condenser.

For the most cool air use recycle for air, vent and high bower speed. Some cars if you by pass the heater core tube you can gain a few degrees, but I havent ventured that far into the engine bay.
I will have to let you know. I also have to check the radiator fan/temp/relay because I did end up having the engine run a like warm while I was working today

·
Registered
674 Posts
14 versa note SL, 104k miles on it I believe. It literally just started doing this today. The A/C will run cold if you're moving, but the moment you stop for an extended period of time (like a stop light) it warms up.

Along with the other suggestions other posters have given, you might also want to check the serpentine belt and tensioner to insure that it is not slipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Along with the other suggestions other posters have given, you might also want to check the serpentine belt and tensioner to insure that it is not slipping.
I will do that. I was able to get it to generate some cold by revving the engine a tiny bit (1250-1500rpm) but the serpentine belt brings up a good point to look at because at the same time, the car will overheat (or at least the temperature gauge on the dashboard will) when the car is running idle but is stopped for too long of a period of time.

Either both issues are caused by the belt or they're separate issues. Coolant level is good though, and the water pump pully is spinning.

I have an ODB-II tool so I can use that to double check if the coolant temp sensor is working.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Try holding the engine at 3 grand. If the AC blows cooler you are low on freon.

If you got a semi clogged radiator the increase speed will allow coolant to flow faster in the engine and cause it too cool faster. Increasing engine speed stationary doesnt cause much of a load vs being on the open road. You can get a thing to test your radiator fluid at most auto stores. Id flush the cooling system and maybe replace a t stat depending on what your odb2 meter says.

Sometimes an over heating or engine that runs warm can be a sign of a blown head gasket. If this is the case you may see a mud or milkshake color coolant, oil or sludge inside the oil fill cap on the engine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A/C condenser needs to be cool down in order to get cold air inside your car.
A/C condenser it mounted in front of the radiator. When your car is moving. air passing through the condenser coil to cool the refrigerant.
That is the reason why you get cold air when your car is moving.

My 07 Versa has only one cooling fan for the radiator(for cooling the engine) and a/c compressor(cool cabin air temperature).
The cooling fan, behind the radiator, will come on when the engine need to be cooled down AND/OR a/c is turned on.

Is the cooling fan running when the a/c is turned on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Clean the condenser is another preventive maintenance that car owner on the a/c system.
After condenser cleaning, the high side pressure drop from 180 psi(before) to 120 psi(after). This means the a/c compressor is not working as hard as before cleaning.

If the cooling fan is running when you turn on a/c, cleaning the condenser may help. But as @Cobb said, if the a/c system is low on refrigerant, cleaning may not fix your a/c system.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I wished I knew an expert to split hairs over how ac works and changes to make it better. I know increasing air flow over the condenser helps, increasing rpm of compressor helps, extra freon above capacity helps and air flow through the evaporator. Now my 5000 btu window unit is simple off, on high and low. The blower motor effects both fans for both radiators. Well its cooler and cools a room faster on low vs high. :surprise Not sure what the compressor is rated at, but seems usually the compressor is rated in btu. If thats the case, then what are the radiators rated at?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The compressor and condenser are pretty small in this vehicles to help increase MPG as well as reduce load on the motor. As someone else said, the fan cant offer enough airflow when stopped and won't produce cold air. Check your condenser to be sure it isn't clogged by bugs or other debris which will reduce the ability to cool.

Overfilling or under filling the R-134A will damage the compressor. NEVER overfill it as it will constantly kick on and off and burn out. If that happens, you'll need to go to a shop to have the system evacuated and refilled to the proper amount ($$$). Revving the motor has no effect on the A/C and will only exacerbate the heat problem and further reduce the cooling ability of the A/C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
versa122
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing