Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I have a 2014 Versa Sedan with CVT and today i noticed a loud grinding/rubbing noise when i turn on my A/C. It sounds like a sewing machine, which isn’t good because it is starting to get hotter where i live. Is this normal? Should i be worried? I don’t recall hearing this sound before but maybe i just haven’t noticed it. I took a video of this noise as well! You can hear the A/C kick on and it make that noise. Thanks!

Video of the noise:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Best I can tell from the video it sounds like you may have a compressor on it's way out. Do you know whether the a/c system has ever been opened up or not? If so it's possible it lost some of the compressor oil and adding some oil to the system might help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best I can tell from the video it sounds like you may have a compressor on it's way out. Do you know whether the a/c system has ever been opened up or not? If so it's possible it lost some of the compressor oil and adding some oil to the system might help.
aw damn, definitely what i didn’t want to hear haha. I’m not sure, I bought the car used and nissan said they fixed everything up for me but apparently not :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, how did you do it? I mean how did you run the fan?
So the noise happens on 1,2,3, and 4, but it doesn’t get worse as i turn it up. It stays the same and as you can hear from the video it sounds like it’s kicking on and off. My friend said it could be water in it? what do you think?

·
Registered
511 Posts
So the noise happens on 1,2,3, and 4, but it doesn’t get worse as i turn it up.
OK, you need to start from the square one. To cover all bases, you generally have 3 potential sources of that particular sound:
1) A/C compressor;
2) engine cooling fan (in the front of the engine compartment);
3) cabin fan (under the dash).

You just need to check them all, one in a time, starting with (3), which is easy, just turn the fan position knob on your dash. Make sure a/c is off, and engine cooling fan is not running. If (3) passes the test and is not the culprit, then move to checking (2).

To check (2), first make sure it rotates freely without any obstacles. You start by spinning it by hand, with the engine off. If it spins freely without any obstacles, then turn the engine on and wait until it warms up enough for that fan to kick in. Again, make sure the A/C is off. When the fan (2) starts spinning you will see for yourself if is it a culprit. Some people just apply the external 12V to it to check it functionality, without running the engine.

If (3) and (2) pass the test, then the remaining (1) is your problem child. Some people use a makeshift statoscope to pinpoint the source of a sound.

Just do it one step in a time. You can make a flowchart so not to get confused.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts