Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a new member. I own a 2008 Versa Hatchback CVT with 82K miles that I purchased new in 2008.

I recently went to the auto parts store to purchase front brake pads. They had two types of Versa brake pads, pads for cars with ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) and those without ABS. My Versa has ABS so I got those brake pads. When I got home and compared them to the original pads, they would not fit. Not even close.

I returned to the store with my original brake pads and the new ones. The clerk and I compared them to the others in stock and it looks like I have non-ABS brake pads installed on my car.

I am absolutely certain I have ABS installed on my car. I can see the wires/sensors and it is on the window sticker. The ABS has even worked a couple times in the snow. Also, this was the first brake pad replacement for this Versa, they were the original pads.

Has anyone else run into this before?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very interesting, and let us know what you find out since I have ABS on my 2009.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 38300 miles

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have no ABS

how much did they cost? I need to turn my rotors

·
Registered
106 Posts
gotta call BS

I recently priced brake parts for my 07. There was no differentiation between an ABS equipped Versa or one without. Being quite familiar with brake parts from numerous brake jobs, I can not envision how the pads would be different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the counter person you delt with is out of his mind. There is no such thing as"ABS or non-ABS" brake pads. True, pads come in a lot of different formulations. But ABS/non-ABS..... That's just silly.

And, I think the counter person just gave you the wrong ones to begin with.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The only difference in Versa brakes is between the 1.6 and the 1.8. The 1.6 has smaller rotors and pads while the 1.8 has larger ones. Since you have the cvt, you have the 1.8, so you should be using the larger set.

07-08 versas all had 1.8 engines and ABS was an option (which most vehicles got). I believe 09-11 versas had abs as standard, but im not sure about the 1.6 models. The standard abs may have only been on 1.8's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brake pads

I have encountered this issue also. I have ABS brakes and have done my own brakes more than once and each time I have requested ABS brake pads they have given me the pads that are for a non-ABS vehicle. I don't know if it is possible for these pads to be listed in reverse or not but that's all I can come up with. I do need to do my brakes again very soon so I now know to be on the lookout for the wrong pads.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have encountered this issue also. I have ABS brakes and have done my own brakes more than once and each time I have requested ABS brake pads they have given me the pads that are for a non-ABS vehicle. I don't know if it is possible for these pads to be listed in reverse or not but that's all I can come up with. I do need to do my brakes again very soon so I now know to be on the lookout for the wrong pads.
Have you not read this thread before asking your question?

When you go and buy your brake parts, they should ask you what year and model the car is, they may ask you what size engine it has, as that apparently makes a difference on the Versa having a 1.6 or 1.8 L engine. A competent parts supplier needs to know this info to get you the correct parts. But, I know for a fact that on my 07 Versa, there is not a difference between an ABS equipped Versa and a non-ABS equipped Versa when it comes to brake pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
aahhhh yes....I did read it and if you look closely I did not ask a question. and unless the two different auto supply shops I got the wrong pads from are equally incompetent as the other (which I agree is possible), there certainly was a difference. the second time I purchased them I actually had a photo of the proper pads on my phone and was able to catch the mistake at the counter. I don't know if there is a difference in the pads I can only say that both times I was given the wrong pads. and what's with the attitude, by the way? so I ask you (in a very exaggerated mocking tone) the question you asked me, "have you not read this thread before asking your question?"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagerly awaiting your response. prepare it well and load it up with 'tude.

·
Registered
8 Posts
aahhhh yes....I did read it and if you look closely I did not ask a question. and unless the two different auto supply shops I got the wrong pads from are equally incompetent as the other (which I agree is possible), there certainly was a difference. the second time I purchased them I actually had a photo of the proper pads on my phone and was able to catch the mistake at the counter. I can't say with any certainty that there is a difference, I can only say for certain that I was given the wrong pads. and what's with the attitude, by the way? so I ask you (in a very exaggerated mocking tone) the question you asked me, "have you not read this thread before asking your question?"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagerly awaiting your response. prepare it well and load it up with 'tude.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gillis, I have to agree with you, in that you didn't ask a question.

No "tude" was meant by my question, but I guess you can imagine "tude" from anyone's post if you are so inclined.

The point that you made in an earlier post of requesting ABS pads would indicate you believe there to be a difference between ABS pads and non-ABS pads on the Versa. There is not a difference, according to the two sources I checked when inquiring about brake pads for my Versa.

Not sure why you are labeling yourself as having poor posting skills. Four quick posts to the same thread is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just ran into the same issue.
I have a 2008 Versa Hatchback SL.
I've been shopping around and I've noticed lots of different options and lots of different complaints about wrong pads being given to people. I've seen different engine types/ABS or not.
The place I just went to said the only difference in their pads is ABS vs. non-ABS.
I grabbed the ABS ones and went to put them on but the little "squares" on the ends are too wide!!!
Went back to the store and the non-ABS ones are narrower square sides.
Going to try these on in the coming weeks... hopefully they work out, if not I'm going with stealership parts

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a difference in the pad design between ABS and non-ABS for 2008. For 2007 there is only one pad option. For 2009-2012 there are two pad options of different design with the engine size being the determining factor. For 2013 there is only one pad option. The 2008 is an unique situation which is causing confusion not just at aftermarket shops, but the OE service centers as well. For 2008 there are two pad options with the determining factor being ABS or non-ABS as the only engine for 2008 was the 1.8L. I am looking into this issue (which brought me to here). According to the OE dealer info:

w/ABS --> OE # 41060-AX085, aftermarket "D#" D1345
w/out ABS --> OE # D1060-EM30C, aftermarket "D#" D815 (may also be known as D815A)

It took 5 sets of 41060-AX085 before I got one from the dealer that wasn't ground down around the ears. The ear width on this pad set is around 12mm. Whoever ground these pads down clearly was trying to put them into a non-ABS caliper. The slot width of that caliper is around 11.70mm (even less with abutment hardware installed). All the pad sets were ordered from a Nissan dealer who got them from a Nissan warehouse.

I continue to look into this issue but it is looking like the OE may have thier catalogue backwards. Since the aftermarket bases their application information on OE information, the error has propagated throughout the industry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are the photos of the OE sets for visual reference. The silver paint numbers are dimensions for ear width and length (on 41060-AX085).

41060-AX085

D1060-EM30C

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I just replaced the front brakes of my car a few months back, and my Versa does have ABS brakes, yet the "ABS" brake pads did not fit. We had to return them and the 'non-ABS' brake pads fit perfectly and were the same size as stock. Total price for the pads & rotors were roughly $125 (installed @ home).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so glad I read this thread, I was on RockAuto to order brake parts and the Exc. ABS notes got me worried.

I will have to yank the pads and see if O'Reilly has them in stock.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Here are the photos of the OE sets for visual reference. The silver paint numbers are dimensions for ear width and length (on 41060-AX085).

41060-AX085

D1060-EM30C
Bumping this thread and giving :thumb2: to this post. These pics are fantastic. I have a 2009 versa 1.6 with ABS and I have confirmed with my nissan parts guy that my car came with 41060-ax085. I cross referenced that part number through akebono site since they are the pads I will be purchasing. They tell me ACT1345 is the equivalent pad. But every online part store is telling me that I need act815.

So I'm pretty sure parts stores are wrong after reading all these threads and I'm going to confirm this by looking at these pics and looking at my pads and the new ones before purchasing.

Reactions: tiidaireland

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake pad difference

I think the counter person you delt with is out of his mind. There is no such thing as"ABS or non-ABS" brake pads. True, pads come in a lot of different formulations. But ABS/non-ABS..... That's just silly.

And, I think the counter person just gave you the wrong ones to begin with.
I agree with your comments, sooner 4x4 and 6mt.
However, I have a question:
I had the same BS from the guy at Napa (OReilly) didnt ask ABS or Not.
Anyway, I bought from NAPA for NON ABS. They fit. Now I know it's because of the engine size and not the ABS.

This was my first time doing breaks and I didn't know what to expect. It was quite easy other than the fact that the pads I removed from my car had a set of thin plates on the outer face to clip them in (not the side brackets that are standard).
The new pads didn't have or fit the plates. Are the pads secure just being slid into place?

After much researching I believe these plates are anti squeal shims, so I guess I don't need them unless my breaks squeal?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts