Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if anyone has had the issue im having with my versa but here goes,

i have a 2008 versa sl hatchback, when i first bought the car last year it had a noise in the front end, i assumed wheel bearing so i took it to the mechanic, (not the dealer). he quickly figured out it was the passenger side wheel bearing by putting the car on the lift had me put car in drive and let idle while he held the driver side tire still, obviously since the noise was still there it was the passenger not driver side wheel bearing. the mechanic fixed passenger wheel bearing and no more noise, problem solved, BUT now my abs light is on, so he got his computer and cleared whatever code he found that threw the abs light, so the light comes back on not even 1 mile down the road, been on ever since, so what im asking is does anyone think that the sensor is actually bad because of the diagnosis method my mechanic used or is it something simple? if the sensor is bad how much of a pain in the rear is it to replace? the sensor is 35.99 at auto zone but for some reason sears wants 250.00 to replace. please help!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
This happened to me. I got a hub from Carquest. Specifically told them I had an ABS car. So they give me a hub, and I noticed there wasn't any speed sensor ring on it. Ok, so I figure either they fucked up and gave me a non-ABS hub, or the sensor ring is on the CV axle shaft itself, like some MFG's do. Had it apart and noticed there was no sensor rings anywhere. But slight marks in the CV axle, I figured the sensor must just use those subtle marks for speed. The new hub had a plate on it, which I now figured out is there to prevent debris from lodging itself it there on non-ABS cars, which have no sensor sticking out of the knuckle. So I put the new one in, and realized that that plate severed the harness or broke the sensor completely, as I didn't have the sensor pulled all the way out (they are always hard to get out). It's very likely that your mechanic didn't notice that difference and just stuck it in like I did. It's most likely a parts mistake since the ABS and non-ABS hubs are literally identical apart from that protective plate on the non-ABS hub. If the sensor has broken in there like I suspect, it'll be a little harder than usual to get it out. You might have to just pry out what you can of the old sensor and break up whats left into pieces, or drill it out. It's a simple process. Just take wheel off, and follow the wiring harness for the sensor down the strut and feel around for the sensor, an allen pan head screw or bolt holds them in. You should be able to do it without removing the brakes, but taking the caliper and rotor off would help if you are so inclined.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.