Nissan Versa Forums banner

AC (air conditioner) making HISSING noise and blowing warm air...HELP!!!

9K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  EZ922 
#1 ·
...does this mean it's just run out of refrigerant (freon) and needs to have it replaced?

Or is there a leak somewhere?

Or does the compressor need to be replaced?

Anybody have any idea what are some reasonable prices to expect for these types of services?

2012 Hatchback, only 78K miles and AC is not used often since we are in the northeast.

#3 ·
...does this mean it's just run out of refrigerant (freon) and needs to have it replaced?

Or is there a leak somewhere?

Or does the compressor need to be replaced?

Anybody have any idea what are some reasonable prices to expect for these types of services?

2012 Hatchback, only 78K miles and AC is not used often since we are in the northeast.
Your best bet would be to take it into an AC shop and get it diagnosed. You can be spinning your wheels and spending a lot of your cash trying to find out what the problem is without the proper equipment. Good luck....................

#4 ·
First check if the AC fuse is blown.
You said in another thread that you think that the electric system in your car is not 100%....that may be part of the issue.

Otherwise I would say that the compressor could be bad...

If you have a pepboys location close to you they might still offer the AC diagnostic for free.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys.

So almost 4 weeks later, I've been dragging my feet on getting this AC fixed and now that the heat and humidity are ramping up here in New England, the wife is getting more and more grumpy about it. :LOL:

Got some quotes today, from an independent garage as well as a Nissan dealer, surprisingly both were more or less the same:
$120 diagnosis fee (garage said $60-120, dealer said flat $120)
$120 recharge
$700-1000 compressor replacement if needed

I think I will follow the advice of @nissanfool and try to recharge the system myself first. A google search got me to this:

Assuming it really is that easy to recharge one's AC yourself, $30 is much wallet-friendlier than $180-240!

More importantly, I want to eliminate any possibility of someone telling me to replace the compressor if the recharge is actually all that is needed.

Whatch'all think?

#10 ·
maybe not, but you could provide the part and maybe find a cheaper place to install it :)
well, I hope you just need the recharge!
Yeah, $1200 repair really hurts on an 8 year old car with almost 80K miles on it already...probably 1/4 of its resale value!

Anyway, the Nissan USA site gives me 4 different AC compressors but provides zero product differentiation so I have no idea what the most expensive models offer vs the least.
Nissan USA link]

#12 ·
Have you gone the recharge route yet? It usually is good to spend the $150-$200 for a recharge. They remove all old R134 and put the system under a vaccuum for 10-30 minutes
to make sure there are no leaks, then recharge. I just had my A/C inspected and recharged a few weeks ago. Best $140 I have spent on that car.

Also look for shops that have coupons, or give free A/C checks.

If you do need a compressor, you need part # 92600 CJ63D
That is both compressor and clutch.

#14 ·
Thanks, that's the part I found.

That's nice that they remove the old refrigerant and inspect for leaks. I guess I'm a little paranoid about them SAYING I need a full compressor replacement if I really don't...I mean, how would I know if they were telling me the truth or not? Especially if I went to a dealer. That's why I am thinking a $30 DIY recharge would let me first eliminate that possibility at least.

#21 ·
Basically was evacuate the system, pull a vaccuum and hold for a period of time, with leak inspection happening at this time, then recharge the system.
So you did not have a leak? Did you do it as a maint item, or did you feel your A/C was not performing well, and you thought you have a leak? Does it now work better then before the service? Thank you.

#23 ·
R-134a doesn't last forever.
Thank you very much for answering my questions. I do not know much about A/C, just some basics.

What I want to find out, is A/C service (like yours) is recommended after a few years, even though there is no leak in A/C system, because of some natural degradation/loss of R-134a?

Or A/C service is required only when there is a leak in the system, but in this case just recharging the system without repairing a leak is just a temporary fix?

For what it worth, I had cars which had well working A/C for 10+ years without doing anything.

#24 ·
I would do a service every coule of years or so. Not only does R-134a degredate over time, there are also numerous O-rings that can deteriorate and cause leaks, which they check for during the service.
The accumulator/dryer also becomes less effective over time, and must be replaced anytime outside air is introduced to the system, as the dessicant gets filled with moisture.
With the exception of R-134a, the A/C system on my 09 is the same as when it rolled out of the plant in Mexico.

For those that don't know, dessicant is those little gel packs found in new shoes and pulls moisture from the air.

#30 ·
Right now my Saab hisses with the A/C on. It also is in need of service as well. I know it shouldn't be much more than the Versa as I put a set of guages on it and pressures are fine.
The compressor also cycles as it should.
Worst case for that one may be a O-ring or 2 and a accumulator/dryer.

Take it to a shop. You won't know ANYTHING until someone can put a set of guages on it.

#33 ·
Just wanted to wrap up this thread with a big thanks to all who contributed their opinions/advice.

In the end I chickened out of using the $30 Wallyworld self-recharging kit and ended up picking an independent local shop based on their slew of highly positive reviews, and the fact that there was an almost 2 week wait time before I could even get an appointment---I figure such demonstrated popularity is a very good sign, and am happy to say that they didn't disappoint.

They recharged the freon and replaced two leaking valves. Took almost 2 hours, but I can't complain because the bill was a reasonable $165 all in, and the AC's been working fine, 3 weeks later.

Will probably be coming back to them for other repairs, and will write my own glowing Yelp review for them if all goes as well as this did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.