Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Basically was evacuate the system, pull a vaccuum and hold for a period of time, with leak inspection happening at this time, then recharge the system.
So you did not have a leak? Did you do it as a maint item, or did you feel your A/C was not performing well, and you thought you have a leak? Does it now work better then before the service? Thank you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A/C wasn't performing as it should. It had been 5-6 years since last A/C service, so I knew it would need it. R-134a doesn't last forever.
Yes it works as if it was new.

Reactions: SlickVersa

·
Registered
370 Posts
R-134a doesn't last forever.
Thank you very much for answering my questions. I do not know much about A/C, just some basics.

What I want to find out, is A/C service (like yours) is recommended after a few years, even though there is no leak in A/C system, because of some natural degradation/loss of R-134a?

Or A/C service is required only when there is a leak in the system, but in this case just recharging the system without repairing a leak is just a temporary fix?

For what it worth, I had cars which had well working A/C for 10+ years without doing anything.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would do a service every coule of years or so. Not only does R-134a degredate over time, there are also numerous O-rings that can deteriorate and cause leaks, which they check for during the service.
The accumulator/dryer also becomes less effective over time, and must be replaced anytime outside air is introduced to the system, as the dessicant gets filled with moisture.
With the exception of R-134a, the A/C system on my 09 is the same as when it rolled out of the plant in Mexico.

For those that don't know, dessicant is those little gel packs found in new shoes and pulls moisture from the air.

Reactions: SlickVersa

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Was for evacuation, inspection, and recharge.
Basically was evacuate the system, pull a vaccuum and hold for a period of time, with leak inspection happening at this time, then recharge the system.
You must be in a relatively inexpensive part of the country. The local shop I talked to wanted $60-120 just for diagnosis fee, and a flat $120 for the recharge.

·
Registered
172 Posts
well New England is not cheap...I remember when I was in Summit, NJ...they wanted 500$ to close a small pool...and the landscaping was basically an eye and a kidney xD
And I should not mention property taxes LOL

·
Registered
427 Posts
You must be in a relatively inexpensive part of the country. The local shop I talked to wanted $60-120 just for diagnosis fee, and a flat $120 for the recharge.
You must not have very many local shops near you. The shop about a block away from me charged me roughly $150 for inspection and recharge. Conveinient too as I can just
drop the car off and walk home.

Illinois cheap? HA! But things would be better if we threw Chicago and Cook County out of the state.

·
Registered
427 Posts
well New England is not cheap...I remember when I was in Summit, NJ...they wanted 500$ to close a small pool...and the landscaping was basically an eye and a kidney xD
And I should not mention property taxes LOL
Anything east of Ohio is expensive. One reason I prefer to go west on trips.

Reactions: Ecate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A/C wasn't performing as it should. It had been 5-6 years since last A/C service, so I knew it would need it. R-134a doesn't last forever.
Yes it works as if it was new.
btw, was your AC simply just not blowing cool-enough air, or was it also making any strange noises?

The steady hissing I hear with mine ever since it stopped making cool air, is what makes me think it is probably not just a case of the refrigerant running out, but some much more complicated/costly mechanical issue.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Right now my Saab hisses with the A/C on. It also is in need of service as well. I know it shouldn't be much more than the Versa as I put a set of guages on it and pressures are fine.
The compressor also cycles as it should.
Worst case for that one may be a O-ring or 2 and a accumulator/dryer.

Take it to a shop. You won't know ANYTHING until someone can put a set of guages on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
21 - 32 of 32 Posts