Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 versa have some knocking sound when I shake the steering wheel from left to right while standing in place and it seems like there's small play from the steering rack.
I know there's an adjustment bolt on the steering rack but I can't reach the bolts.

Any one know a way to reach them without taking off the steering rack?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Check the shaft bolt to make sure it's tight down near the floor in the car. You shouldn't have to adjust the rack ever. Play would be in the tie rods or potentially in the rack, but that would call for a replacement. You can check that with the front off the ground, shaking the wheels in the 9 and 3 positions.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have replaced the U joint of the steering shaft as i thought this is the problem. But didnt help. There is no play in the tie rods. Can you explain why the rack needs to be replaced? What the adjustment bolt is for?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You shouldn't have to adjust the bearing preload, this is already set. You can mess with it if you want but I don't believe you can properly set this based on steering feel. How about the slip joint where the shaft meets the rack? Also check the bushings on the subframe the same way you would check tie rods. You won't feel the play but you'll see the frame slopping around.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.